Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hey, what about a Tau "Devastator Squad"?
Closed Thread
Old 21 Feb 2006, 03:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Hey, what about a Tau "Devastator Squad"?

They could be called Vaporisers.They would basicly be F.Ws w/options for Crisis weapons, w/ better (4)BS and smaller squads. They'd be be like a cheap (in more ways than one) Crisis Suit! Tau could finaly have a cheap, decent static firing squad!
Old 21 Feb 2006, 03:17   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Hey, what about a Tau "Devastator Squad"?

In that case, why would we need Crisis suits? Or Broadsides? Or Pathfinders?

The trick for Tau in development was seperating them from Imperial Guard (who do have the options you describe). Would you really give up the Railguns and the Ion Cannons for the ability to field a few more weapons (most of which are relatively short-ranged) that can already be taken in droves by our Elite and HQ units?
Old 21 Feb 2006, 04:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Honestly, name a non-assault role, and there is already a tau unit that fufills it. I've tried coming up with things to add to the tau list, but between the chapter approved rules and forge world, I found very little weak spots except for cityfight, where I wanted a fast skimmer with a smart missile system. Thankfully, the vehicle desing rules were there. I was honestly surprised that they came up with so much to add to the new codex.

Seriously, suggest a non-assault battlefeild role, and I will gladly name an existing tau unit that fills it. Heck, there are even some tau units that *Don't* suck at assault, even if they aren't very good. I have fond memories of assaulting Imperial guard with my stealth suits.

Old 21 Feb 2006, 04:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

The reason why Tau are so unique is that they dont seem to follow the same strictures as the other races (ie here's your assaulty guys, here's your static heavy weapons team etc.). This not only helps to flesh out the Tau as an authentic 'new' race (instead of being a clone of some other army), but it allows us to run with tactics and strategies that wouldnt work for other races.

So yeah, i basically agree with the posts above. We have the heavy role more than filled by our ability to take lots of heavy weapons on our skimmers and Broadsides, and (in general) our hitting power at range is better than any army out there. Love that S5

However, i still like your idea, but i be thinking of something more Tau-oriented would be needed, like larger Drones (ie the disc part of them) with walker legs (think old-skool imperial Tarantula weapons platforms), which could be used to mount twin-linked rail rifles, single missile pods etc... give us something long-ranged and stationary that could be used between Crisis Suits and Broadsides??? If only to hold essential flanks or corridors??

Damn, i've now 'keened' myself into building one... oh well..

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
Old 21 Feb 2006, 04:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by E1rond
They could be called Vaporisers.They would basicly be F.Ws w/options for Crisis weapons, w/ better (4)BS and smaller squads. They'd be be like a cheap (in more ways than one) Crisis Suit! Tau could finaly have a cheap, decent static firing squad!
How about a Tau "Tactical Unit"? They could have T4 and S4 from their years of combat training and genetic enhancements. Then, the Fio could give them extra armor so they'd have a 3+ save! AND, they would be so used to combat that they would have a special ability called And They Shall Not Fear Anything which would be similar to bonding, but better since it would allow them to automatically regroup!

"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 21 Feb 2006, 05:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Quote:
How about a Tau "Tactical Unit"? They could have T4 and S4 from their years of combat training and genetic enhancements. Then, the Fio could give them extra armor so they'd have a 3+ save! AND, they would be so used to combat that they would have a special ability called And They Shall Not Fear Anything which would be similar to bonding, but better since it would allow them to automatically regroup!

Then we could call them "Taumarines", or something equally cloney. Pfft. :P
Seriously. The main reason why the Tau list stands out from the other races is that the elements in the army MUST WORK TOGETHER, unlike Space Marines, who can count on individual squads, and must because of their cost. Hmmm... just realized something: Tau Fire Caste have been bred and trained to shoot stuff for all of their life, right? So why is it that FWs (let alone my army) can't hit the broad side of a barn?

www.tylor.com
Old 21 Feb 2006, 05:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Because you aren't using enough markerlights.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 06:08   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So they've been trained all their lives to shoot with a helping lighty thing?

*random, irrelevant, but something to think about*
Old 21 Feb 2006, 06:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Seriously, I should just quote what I said in the other topic you started about FW with special weapons.

Tau are not Marines, they never will be, they have the best (ballistic wise) elites/heavy infantry/infantry, why waste that, tau are not Static either, they should move, and move a lot.
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 21 Feb 2006, 07:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Quote:

And then Games Workshop can stick 10 articles about them in every single White Dwarf...and then bring out a codex with fully supported model range for every single Sept in the game, then introduce some new ones now and then for a change, so they can stop marketing everything else, just alternate Sept designs with a different lick of paint and an alternately beardy rule that prevents any gamer developing skill but still allows enough abuse from an experienced gamer to be successful against anyone else. Don't forget making the Devilfish AV14 all around and giving it a few more guns so it doesn't have a rival in the game...oh...and if it gets stunned, it can still move it's full distance forward too.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Closed Thread