Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Around... 800 - 1000 game versus Tyranids. Need strategy!
Closed Thread
Old 20 Feb 2006, 19:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Krimxon Send a message via Yahoo to Krimxon
Default Around... 800 - 1000 game versus Tyranids. Need strategy!

Hey. I'm pitting games versus Waffly Versatile and his Tyranid army. Here's the lists.

-Tau-

Hammerhead with Railgun and S.M.S.
3 crisis battlesuits each with missle pod, plasma rifle, shield generator and multi tracker. 2 Shas'vre and Shas'o.
12 FWs.
Two 5 unit squads of gun drones.
12 kroot with kroot shaper that has a kroot rifle.

Just basic battleforce with tank... :-\

-Tyranid-

Hive Tyrant w/ two gaurds. All melee sycthe claw talong things. Not too sure what their called.
Lictor with 6.. or so genestealers.
Genestealer squad.
Gaunt squad with melee.
Gaunt squad with guns.
Carnifex with all melee weapons.
Broodlord.

Im 'iffy' on the Tyranid army, and don't know much about 'em to give full description and number of units he has, bear with me.

Now, I've fought him once with no luck on victory. I used two hammerheads in that game, but I will be using only one, and he should be scaling down his army for lower points games. He changes from time to time.

Now, I need a strategy to overcome these gigantic insects and crush them with the power of the greater good!

Hoorah!

Old 20 Feb 2006, 19:13   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: Around... 800 - 1000 game versus Tyranids. Need strategy!

well lets see.
1)get rid of the bodyguard and make them normal elite suits with same config minus the shield and point in the general direction of the hive tyrant.

2)infiltrate and smack the jeezers out of the guants with rapid fire and let them assualt you IN COVER dont forget to put some forest terrain out far enough for them to infiltrate in.

3)genestealers cant be with lictors so probably with brodlord. dont let them get into cc because you will die then.

4)carnifex and anything else that hasnt been covered you just whack with the railgun.

dont forget close combat is a definite no no

Old 20 Feb 2006, 19:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yea, a GW guy told me to have my suits as lone warriors, not in one squad. Also, I use my gun drones as a sort of shield to my suits.

Yes, I meant the broodlord with the genestealers. I get those two mixed up constantly.

Thanks, any more advice would help.

Old 20 Feb 2006, 19:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Its all about concentration of firepower. Here's a turn by turn target priority list of shooting targets, depending on the speed and deadliness of your enemy:

Turn 1
-Genestealers and Hormagaunts are number 1 for this turn, focus on them with missile pods, rail rifle shots, kroot rifles, submunitions rounds, the whole shebang! The hormagaunts will reach your lines very quickly, as well as the new genestealers (fleet of claw watch out!), and they will tie up a large portion of your firepower in turn 2&3 if you do not take them out ASAP.

Turn 2
-Finishing remains from turn 1 (for fire warriors and drones)
-Engaging the the hive tyrant and killing his bodyguard, with railguns, plasma guns and maybe some spare pulse weapons. I noticed you opponent has no warriors or zoanthropes, so if you can take out his HQ choices, you can severly weaken him. The hive tyrant & bodyguard may take 1 or 2 turns to crack.

Turn 3
-Engaging newly arrives lictor. This guy will mess up your plans big time with his rending claws, so make sure you missile pod him as soon as he appears.
-Engaging the hive tyrant with low strength mass hosing. FW straight towards him, rapid fire and DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA. Use the hamerhead to back up if you must
3-engaging and assaulting the broodlord & genestealer. These guys can fleet of foot so should only reach you in turn 3, i suggest gunning them down or assaulting them with your kroot will cause damage, buy time and maybe even distract the carnifex.

Turn 4
-Carnifex, PLASMA PLASMA PLASMA! get that rapid fire plasma going!, with your multiple crisis suits you should be able to manage it in 1 turn, if you use your hammerhead to back you up.

Turn 5
-Kil the termagaunts, and any big guys with low wounds that made it through your FW's kroot and drone squads with your crisis suits, but stay focused on 1 target till you kill it. A wounded HT can still rip apart 3 crisis suits without so much as blinking an eye.

Turn 6
-Now that all tyranids are dead you can shake your opponents hand, and do a MC hammer victory dance!

Oh ow, oh ow, oh ow, hammer time! O0
Old 20 Feb 2006, 20:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Da na na na, na na, na na can't touch this!

hehe, thanks! This should bring me closer to victory. Next weekend, another battle awaits perhaps. We shall see!

Old 20 Feb 2006, 20:36   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

i like your sig its awesome.

remember to keep you units around any cover so the infiltrators have to set up more than 18" away that should give you adequate time to pop them

Old 20 Feb 2006, 20:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Don't try to do the Jump-Shoot-Jump trick to Hormagaunts or they'll catch and chew you if they make a decent Fleet roll, though it could be good if you led them away from your army at the cost of the Stealth team and blew away the rest

Oh...and yeah, lonely is right, that's a funky sig...I'm almost tempted to put it in with my random sig quotes

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 20 Feb 2006, 21:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Whcih sig? I just changed it.

Old 20 Feb 2006, 23:59   #9 (permalink)
lonely tau

the free fire warriors and stealth thing that is hilarious

Old 21 Feb 2006, 06:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Remember- that Broodlord only takes one railshot to pop

So clear out his retinue and bust him. The carnifex isn't that much of a problem...just clear out his Genestealers and hormagaunts and you'll be set for the start :P

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Closed Thread