Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deepstrike our vehicles
Closed Thread
Old 20 Feb 2006, 10:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Deepstrike our vehicles

I thought according to fluff the most common way to attack was a manta would drop out of orbit then suits/fish/hammers fall into battle. Why can't our vehicles deepstrike?

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 10:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Deepstrike our vehicles

it's like having a Landraider DS. It's not good for gameplay. Now I can see buying an upgrade that lets the vehicles count as moving more than 6" on the first turn because they just dropped in from orbit, but that's just it. I don't see Tau dropping tanks onto the enemy. That's what Necrons do.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 10:56   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Balance issues. I think that if we could deepstrike our nearly invincible tanks, then Tau would be too powerful.

Then again, from what I've seen, SMurfs are passing the Beard to Tau now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 12:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ketter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenKnowledge
Then again, from what I've seen, SMurfs are passing the Beard to Tau now.
I disagree. Most people complain about the cost/durability/viability of Piranhas/Stingwings/Sky Rays. Sniper Drone Teams are non-scoring and static, which will only help to get more people to play static. I've seen nothing in the new codex that seems beardy to me (although I am concerned about the new flechette dischargers).
Old 20 Feb 2006, 12:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Nothing whatsoever strikes me as beardy in the Tau army...only Space Marine players who quake in fear at actually having to use strategy and not an army that is the best at everything cry 'BEARD!' at other army lists most of the time.

I think that while the Tau often attack via Orca drop, that unless there's a DIRECT confrontation that way...it shouldn't play into the game...since a lot of forces arrive through similar ways without rules regarding them. Space Marines hit a direct point via drop pods, Terminators teleport right on top of the enemy and so forth. Tau don't land DIRECTLY ON TOP of their enemies with a full army- the casualties would be too prohibitive.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 20 Feb 2006, 12:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
Nothing whatsoever strikes me as beardy in the Tau army...only Space Marine players who quake in fear at actually having to use strategy and not an army that is the best at everything cry 'BEARD!' at other army lists most of the time.

I think that while the Tau often attack via Orca drop, that unless there's a DIRECT confrontation that way...it shouldn't play into the game...since a lot of forces arrive through similar ways without rules regarding them. Space Marines hit a direct point via drop pods, Terminators teleport right on top of the enemy and so forth. Tau don't land DIRECTLY ON TOP of their enemies with a full army- the casualties would be too prohibitive.
Pg 15: "Each Manta carries a full Hunter Cadre of between fifty and 100 Tau. All the troops carried will either be mounted in gravitic vehicles or equipped with jet packs and, can deploy from the Manta Missile Destroyer at altitude."

Pg 60: "As the assault continued, it was countered by ultra-mobile Tau units deployed from the ubiquitous Manta Missile Destroyers"

Seems like thats exactly what they would do. There is no greater weapon then the element of surprise. When I see the tau I see them like modern special ops units. Their devilfish are helocopters. They dive in quick, blast their way to the objective, then get out or hold their position. I see the army moving VERY fast and VERY strategically.

Honestly I think the deepstrike rules in game arn't very fluffy. Why would the squad immediately get blasted to bits just for being near the enemy? Why can't I walk back onto the table? Why can't anyone actually deepstriking change their positions: most of them have jetpacks or jets. Why don't vehicles just *splat* infantry they land on? Why don't infantry just land on tanks?

P.S. Can someone link to a post with the flechette changes?

Old 20 Feb 2006, 12:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
I thought according to fluff the most common way to attack was a manta would drop out of orbit then suits/fish/hammers fall into battle. Why can't our vehicles deepstrike?
deepstriking and being unloaded by a manta are completely different. i dont think our vehicles can take the drop which Jet units can. by the way you can get a manta read the IA3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketter
(although I am concerned about the new flechette dischargers).
flechette discharge do what they are ment to do now the only thing it does is protect against grenaders. for those who dont know. when some one attacks a tau vehical with a flechette dischargers in CC they take a wound on 4+ (Saves allowed)
Old 20 Feb 2006, 12:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfeix
deepstriking and being unloaded by a manta are completely different. i dont think our vehicles can take the drop which Jet units can. by the way you can get a manta read the IA3.
This is what I was trying to say...as in this is how your troops get to be where they are in the battlefield rather than appearing later 'on top' of the enemy force.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 21 Feb 2006, 13:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

well lets say a houserule is made for it. What do you guys suggest for the cost? 30 points for each vehicle that wants to deepstrike?

Old 21 Feb 2006, 13:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

How come a Monolith can reroll friggen WWBB, transport Necrons, and have 14 14 14 not melta-able skimmer and DEEP-STRIKE. A Hammerhead deep-striking is much worse than a Monolith deep-striking. I mean, a Monolith has an Ordnance gun.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Closed Thread