Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

140 Point markerlight fire warriors: Another use for troop choices?
Closed Thread
Old 20 Feb 2006, 00:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default 140 Point markerlight fire warriors: Another use for troop choices?

Seeing as my army has no pathfinders, and lacks the economic resources to get a mounted squad, i thought up a small, markelight carrying fire warrior unit, using the new codex rules:

6 Fire warriors with pulse rifles, led by Shas'ui with markerlight and hard wired drone controller with 2 markerdrones
=140 points

This gives you a unit that puts out 5 STR5 and 3 ML shots a turn at 30", and it has a 4+ armour save and a rerollable leadership of 8.

Whaddya think, and small functionall unit that can help a skyray go through its arsenal quicker?

+its dirt cheap to model and convert!
Old 20 Feb 2006, 01:35   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: 140 Point markerlight fire warriors: Another use for troop choices?

seems good to me but i dont think ill use them much. im too based around strategic elements that dont require markerlights

Old 20 Feb 2006, 01:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would only use that unit until you can get some pathfinders or Human Aux's. For less than 120pts you could get 2 units of Human Auxs for marking . That's 2 units of 6 troopers ,one with a las rifle , marker light , and Ld 8 . Gettin 12 guard models should be really easy on the wallet ;D .

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Old 20 Feb 2006, 02:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn

T0nka did a comprehensive analysis of the new markerlights in an article recently. The conclusion that was reached (with extensive statistical backing) was that specific minimum-strength FW / Marker Drone squads were the least efficient way to get markerlights on the field.

You're much better biting the bullet and getting a pathfinder team together, particularly with the new deep-strike beacon on the devilfish, and their ability to mix rail rifles in their squads.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 03:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Besides, a 6 man squad is pretty dangerous as they are smaller and more exposed than regular pathfinder squads.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 05:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Earlydawn hit the nail on the head. This is cheaper than Pathfinders, but for 60 more points you can have FIVE more Markerlights AND a Devilfish which gives you your 5 shots and is useful for tank-shocking, making skimmer walls... and even transporting your troops in a pinch

The real problem with this unit though, is the wasted Pulse shots if you're marking for Railguns. Your S5 isn't going to be of any use against the Dread you're marking for your Railguns.

If you really want to go this route though, buy a Hardwired Multitracker for your Shas'ui so you can fire his Pulse Rifle too.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 20 Feb 2006, 05:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
If you really want to go this route though, buy a Hardwired Multitracker for your Shas'ui so you can fire his Pulse Rifle too.
did they get rid of the rule in marker light section stoping you from firing your markerlight and another wepaon?
Old 20 Feb 2006, 10:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hi,

I don't think the min squad of fire warriors with marker drones is the best way to get markerlights into the army. I think they are too fragile and easy to get rid of, plus marker drones make them expensive.

If you already have a large number of fire warrior squads in your army I better way to get just a few markerlights you be to give shas'uis markerlights. Say to already have 3 squads of 12 with shas'uis it would only cost 45 pts to give each of the squad's shas'ui a markerlight and hard wired target lock. Now you have 3 extra markerlights shots that can target 3 different targets from the fire warriors. The enemy also has to destroy all 3 squads to get to the markerlights rather than just one squad of 8. If you squads don't have shas'ui it still only costs 75 pts, much less than 140 pts.

If you want any more than 3 I would advise getting pathfinders. The models with markerlights in my above example are costing you 105 pts (cost of fire warrior, shas'ui upgrade, markerlight & target lock x3). Any more than 3 markerlights and pathfinders are better for their cost, plus you will get all the other benefits:
1) Ability to placed last during deployment and the scout move is excellent to ensure you markerlight are in the best position
2) Manoeuvrability
3) Deesptrike beacon, extra shots and drones on the devilfish

I'd suggest trying out a few markerlights on fire warrior shas'uis (you won't need any extra models) and trying out a cheap pathfinder squad, 6 pathfinders incl shas'ui with target lock, devilfish with decoy launchers is only 172 pts.

Rathstar

View my 40k Blog at: http://rathstarramblings.blogspot.com/
Old 20 Feb 2006, 13:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

I just think you're making a slight mistake by trying so hard to get so many Markerlights in your army. This is a mistake often done by Sisters of Battle with Faith Points. When you actually take a choice and (about 1/10th of your army in a 1500pt game) use it solely to provide Markerlights then I believe you're making an error since there's easier ways to get them through a Pathfinder team...which can, in turn, even be used for other things if necessary. If you're set on getting Markerlights, get a Pathfinder team...small units like this are too easily killed by stray fire or assaulted by lone models to be greatly useful. Even if not, they can only do one thing which the Pathfinders do better and, comparatively, for less.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 20 Feb 2006, 23:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well once the new codex is officially released ill playtest this unit and see how it does.

What concerns me about pathfinders is:

1) I have to buy another devilfish, and paint it up, and trust me my paintscheme takes a while to paint :/
2) Once people find out what markerlights can do, pathfinders are gonna be bullet magnet No.1

By providing a small, innocent looking unit with some drones, i can bring those extra couple of markerlights (3 should be more than enough) to the table just to help out that little extra bit.

It may be more expensive, but i think it'll attract less firepower than the pathfinders.

I also need 1 static squad to stay behind and look after my ethereal, which i payed for using the points saved from not having to get a devilfish.
Closed Thread