Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau versus IG Armored Company - suggestions?
Closed Thread
Old 19 Feb 2006, 18:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to BugHunter65 Send a message via Yahoo to BugHunter65
Default Tau versus IG Armored Company - suggestions?

My brother's finally gonna finish his Tank Company and give his Nids a rest - guess they've had all the Tau they can eat for now. I'm sooooo glad (stinkin' bugs!) BUT, having played a huge tank-heavy IG army for the first 4 years of 40K i am not sure what to think about facing 3-6 Leman Russ, several Basilisks and Hellhounds, a pack of Sentinels, and a bunch of Chimeras packing squads with meltas and plasma guns. i'm working with a limited choice of models (until Uncle Sam stops robbing me blind) so i'd appreciate any advice using what i've got at hand. here's the list:
aun'shi
6 Broadsides with SMS+Railguns
9 Crisis suits, mostly with missle pod and either burst cannon or plasma, but a few fusion blasters thrown in
about 50 kroot, 3 shapers, about 20 hounds (was a package deal), 3 krootox
6 stealthsuits
1 devilfish
1 hammerhead
40 or so FWs, maybe 12 w/carbines
LOTS of shield drones (haven't used them since the last rework, but sounds like it's time to dust them off again w/new codex)

so that's about it - only 1 DF and 1 HH, lots of suits, decent amount of infantry

against tanks i'm just not sure what kind of tactics would work best, and he's ten times the strategist i am, so all help and thoughts are VERY appreciated! (although i sure would hate to be rearming models long-since glued and painted with different weapons)

Thanks!

I need to enslave a daemon to paint my army for me
Old 19 Feb 2006, 19:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau versus IG Armored Company - suggestions?

Do you have a pathfinder squad?

If you do, deploy on a falnk (left or right). Usually, a player would aviod them, so they'll shift left or right depending on which flank they are on. Have your battlsuits on the other flank. Either deepstrike your gun drones behind them and take them out fast a their rear is AV10. You can also deepstrike a set of suits. With that you have placed enomous preure on the right,left and back. Then with your Hammerhead and broadsides, blast him away from the front. Use drones, kroot, firewarriors as shields. Charge with your Kroot and take out any infantry he might have. He would be in trouble by now.

Armored companies in my opinion are 1 of the easiest armies to face with Tau.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 19:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This is something I'm familiar with. Ok, split your SS into 2 teams of 3, both with a TL with a Markerlight and Multi-Tracker. FWs: 1 team of 12 in the fish, loaded with at least 2 Seekers (tho that'll be the max in a few weeks) Also have 2 Teams of 9 FWs, one of 10. Playing with old codex, just mix in your Carbines equally, with new codex, dedicate your team of 10 to carbines, then one in the other 2 squads. Again, Shas'Uis with MLs and Multi-Trackers in all. Load up your HH with Seekers, too.

First turn, make sure your FWs can see all Chimeras from the front line, also the SSs, Keep the loaded DF and HH back (and out of the way of Vanquishers or any other tank-hunter) but moving. Don't move your line and fire EVERY ML at a Chimera, and as many Seekers as possible. Move the SS in the Assault, and keep those MLs hitting armour, guiding the BSs and whatnot. With the MTs, the Shas'uis and SSs can all fire their S5 guns and the MLs at the same time. Which is bad for armour (cuz if the PRs don't get it, the Seekers or Railguns will) and always try for at least side armour.

If you want, replace the MTs with Target Locks, however I find this doesn't work as well. Happy hunting!
Old 19 Feb 2006, 21:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i've only got a single pathfinder model at the moment, but i was considering getting more - rail rifles would be good if they did away with the self-destructing thing. the only thing stopping me was that i had to pick between getting the stealthsuits or a DF a while back, and chose the stealth. but now that i've got a DF, i'm torn between hauling a dozen FWs in it or giving it to a squad of pathfinders.

i'm definitely adding MLs to a bunch of units, and finally gonna use those seeker missles in the bitz box. i'm anxious to read up on the details of the new rules for them.

the only thing i really don't feel sure about with the tactic below is targeting the chimeras with the seekers first, and not the tanks? he's gonna have at least three leman russ, not sure whether or not any demolisher or exterminator variants in there, and i've seen a gun line like that do horrible things to everything from eldar to space marines to chaos! of course, back then they were my tanks and i was cheering. i think my natural instinct is to slam the tanks first turn with the ML/Seeker combo, and leave the chimeras turn 2. he used to love the rhino rush back in the day when he played SMs, so i suspect he'd be tempted to use the Chimeras to move his three or four infantry squads across the board. doing that will negate their hvy wpns till turn 2 or maybe 3, and by then i'll have freed up crisis suits and lines of FWs and kroot to hit em hard with str 5 shots that they won't have an armor save against. i figure he'll be trying to keep the main tanks out of the sights of the broadsides, which'll make them easier targets for the MLs. that way the seekers could pop the tanks and the BS can have a crack at anything that pops into view, or use SMS on any scout Sentinels or deep-striking stormtroopers (if he uses them).

Old 19 Feb 2006, 21:22   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

well if your playing against armored company then the broadsides would be ideal with ASS (dont laugh i know where you live) but not all of them for the near or 100 points cost per model. now the Hammerhead with a railgun would be more than ideal just for the extra gun. fusion blasters are excellent for making a trap or two for your opponent but the main focus should be missle pods for side and rear armour (can only mess up the paint on AV 14) so you should put those in trap like formation.

as for seekers they are very useful if your opponent has "holes" like he inevidably will. just zoom past with pathfinders then he has a very disturbing choice.

1)let him markerlight the backs and get hit with seeker missles and go kablooie or
2)attack the pathfinders and let a railgun tear through the front armour and teach him a lesson

for anti-apc you should use infiltrating Stealth suits and blow open the back armour. when the soldiers have to pile out and are enatangled you fire away with your cannons until they are bloody mist >

hope that helps

Old 19 Feb 2006, 23:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

In a word, Railguns, lots and lots of Railguns (3 teams of 3 Broadsides, and Mp/Fusion Crisis)

The Mothman
Old 20 Feb 2006, 00:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

How about deepstriking death rain team with target lock, shooting at side/rear armor.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 01:37   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

viable. but you must realise that deep-striking is rather unpredictable due to the scattering so you might land on top of the enemy unit and kill yoursef

Old 20 Feb 2006, 04:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yeah, that was a concern of mine with deep striking my stealth and crisis suits into the rear - i'm worried there won't be anyplace to land with all those big vehicles spread all over his side of the table! even though, in my mind, i don't see a problem with Tau in suits flying down from their Manta, blasting at the enemy as they drop down, and landing on top of the tanks to blast them point-blank with fusion + plasma shots...then jumping off again as their victims are turned into slag!

guess the rules don't allow that though. oh well, i'll stick to turning them into railgun pincushions

anyone know how Sentinels are to fight against? i never used them when i played IG, and i don't even know their stats, or how they are in close combat? can Crisis suits go toe-to-toe with them and win? makes a heck of a picture!

Old 20 Feb 2006, 06:00   #10 (permalink)
lonely tau

10 all around armour the only thing you cant take them down in would be cc and then thats only Tau. but if your in cc with Tau then youve already got a flaw in their strategy ;D

Closed Thread