Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tutorial: We are Tau, time we start to kill like it (revised ed.)
Closed Thread
Old 18 Feb 2006, 20:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Tutorial: We are Tau, time we start to kill like it (revised ed.)

Sorry for the difficult read in the original thread, so I have decided to re-do it, and try to get the point across.

Army -
Hq- of your choice

Elites - Crisis suits, make them look scary! (this is vital)

Troops -
2 of your choice, (More FW is what I like)
2 Fire warrior units in Devilfish with pulse rifles w/seekers
2 Fire warrior units in Devilfish with pulse carbines w/seekers

Fast Attack
Pathfinders, not vital, but nice.

Heavy Support -
2x Sniper Drone unit with 3 teams each (so 6 teams)
Skyray BCs

Now for the tatics -

Deployment -
Hide the Sniper drones, and riflemen behind a LoS blocking terrian.
The carbine toting Fire Warriors and Pathfinders and Crisis Suits should move towards the enemy, and try to draw the enemy to the trap.

My oppentents tend to ignore what ever they do not percive as a threat, so the hiding stuff may be ignored. [note - move them up, but stay out of LoS because if they stay in one spot, they enemy will try to avoid that spot as much as possible.] [note2 - try and split them up into two teams to launch the infamous pincer motion]

Annoy and harry your enemy with the decoys (FW w/carbines, Pathfinders, and Crisis Suits) to the point that they become very annoying, and hope that they enemy comes after them.

Them, when the enemy is with in 24" of the Ambush teams (12"move + 12" rapid fire) rush them with every thing you have, drop the pathfinders on a flank, and open up with carbines, same with the Fire Warriors with carbines. Move The Sniper drones into position to waste every one next turn.

[note3 - EXPECT RETURN FIRE, BUT NOT ASSAULT (SHEILEDED BY DEVILFISH) ]

Now, last turn, Open up with every thing you have, markerlights to call in all the Seekers!

If you still don't think that would work, lets take a look shall we?
2 units of 3 teams of 3 sniper drones = 18 Ap3 shots
6 (at least) Devilfish with 2 Seekers each = 12 Ap3 shots
1 Skyray = 6 Ap3 shots
Crisis Suits = (What I use at least) 9 Ap2 shots, and 18 at 12"
24 pulse rifle shots, and 48 with in 12"
40 carbine shots
oh, and lets not forget all the drones - 12 pulse carbine shots
and last but not least, 22 burst cannon shots.

This list should ** be under 2000, (No upgrades) and soon it will be a tournament legal list!!

Mothman, has returned!!
Old 19 Feb 2006, 02:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tutorial: We are Tau, time we start to kill like it (revised ed.)

Hi,

I can't get your list anywhere near under 2000 pts (even without upgrades), nor can I can I get the same number of shots as in your summary.

To keep the points down I added only included 4 fire warrior teams and the pathfinders (all using 2 seekers but nothing else), even though your summary says atleast 6 devilfishs with 12 seeker missiles between them. I also used a cheap shas'el as the hq with plasma,burst & multi-tracker, I also costed the crisis as basic plasma, burst, multi-tracker. I included no shas'uis, decoy launchers, vehicle multi-tracker or any other upgrade, and yet the list totals nearly 2300. If I included another fire warrior squad to make it 6 devilfishs that you summary says I should atleast have, the list is nearly 2500 pts.

Next when looking at your summary you say you will launch all the seekers in one turn. However you do not have enough marker lights. In the 2300 list I wrote up there was only 8 pathfinders, sniper drones controllers and the skyray. That would equal an average of 11.3 marker light hits, no where near enough to launch all the 18 seeker missiles you have. Plus you relying on the pathfinders not dying as you suggest moving them forwards to hassle the enemy. What enemy in their right mind isn't going to target them when you have 18 seekers. You also say that pathfinders are nice but not vital, however without them how would hope to fire all your seekers. Each markerlight hit can only guide 1 seeker (even the skyray's markerlights in the new codex).

In your summary where does the 40 carbine shots come from (especially as the pathfinders will be busy guiding seekers) ?

How do you reach a total of 22 burst cannons shots ? First 22 shots is 7.3 burst cannons. Secondly if I gave the hq & crisis burst cannons I totalled 18 burst cannons (or 54 shots) if the crisis and didn't have burst cannons then I only could 8 burst cannons (24 shots), and that's if you spent more pts to give the devilfishs and skyray multi-trackers.

Now looking at the turn you spring the trap, the max you have to fire (in the 2300 pts list) is 24 fire warriors rapid firing, 24 fire warriors with carbines, 8 pathfinder carbines, 9 plasma shots and 2 seekers from the skyray. Against marines in 5+ cover that will only kill on average a pitiful 12 marines. No burst cannon shots unless you add more pts to the list to give the vehicles multi-trackers.

The list also has some nasty weaknesses. What about terminators deepstriking in your back field away from most of your elites (ie. the only plasma on the field). They would make short work of your sniper drones and the rear armour of devilfishs.

What will you do against heavy vehicles, eg. Landraiders, Hammerheads, Falcons & Predators ? Will you hope to get lucky with seekers ?

Regarding the overall tactic I can't understand how your forward moving element (excluding the crisis suits, ie. the carbine fire warriors, pathfinders) are going to survive moving forwards against a 2000+ army of any race with no other targets for the enemy. They will just get obliterated. 3 Devilfishs containing 24 fire warriors and 8 pathfinders aren't going to last long against a 2000+ pt opponent.

If the terrain is so great that you can advance your crisis suits and other elements towards the enemy without getting in line of sight, I can't see why the fast elements of the opponents army can't get atleast a few of the crisis suits. Landspeeder tornados, DE raiders, Eldar skimmers, Necron Destroyers etc. will all make a mess of crisis units if they get to fire on them.

Maybe I'm just not seeing something but I can't see this working. Maybe if you post up an actual list (eg. either 1500 or 2000 pts) rather than posting a vague list that appears to come somewhere between 2300 and 2500 pts it would be easier to have better idea of what the list would have to deal with.

Rathstar

View my 40k Blog at: http://rathstarramblings.blogspot.com/
Old 19 Feb 2006, 02:49   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

one more thing: you are limited to one heavy choice with the sniper drone teams. so no more than 9 sniper drones. sorry :'(
There are two kinds of conduct the Ethereals will not countenance. The first is a failure to reflect upon what is for the Greater Good of the Tau race. The second is the deliberate refusal to follow the path of the Greater Good when it is clear what it must be.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 02:52   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

and yes I HAVE read the codex >
There are two kinds of conduct the Ethereals will not countenance. The first is a failure to reflect upon what is for the Greater Good of the Tau race. The second is the deliberate refusal to follow the path of the Greater Good when it is clear what it must be.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 05:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

Oh, well then, scrape the whole Idea, this was under 2000 when I calculated, oh well.
The Idea works, I was just trying to slap a new list on it.

Mothman
Old 19 Feb 2006, 06:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I see this sort of stratedy as useless. Killing one or two infantry units by using your entire army to do it is terrible.

Very unbalanced, but when it is effective in that 1/1,000,000 moment, it must certainly be effective.

I will never play 1,000,000 games of WH40K in my life.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread