Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Meat shields (the lowest of the low)
Closed Thread
Old 18 Feb 2006, 00:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior
Default Meat shields (the lowest of the low)

Ive heard of gue'vesa, kroot, and fire warriors being used as meat shields
is this really necessary these are some really good models and probably have more potential elsewhere

and in my view is a wast of points :P

can you guys give me your opinion on this...

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 00:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: meat shields the lowest of the low

i dont think meat sheild well at least with tau you cant get them in a high enought amount like IG can. thought tau dont reconise the concept of extendable troops any way (that writtin in the codex some where)
Old 18 Feb 2006, 00:38   #3 (permalink)
lonely tau

waste of points IMO so i never do that i also think that it is a waste of models

Old 18 Feb 2006, 03:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Also with 4th edition, it doesn't work. It only forces a leadership check to shoot the not closest target. With all the armies out there that have a leadership 10... pointless really.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 04:03   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

i could say that it makes a more tempting target then the other things out there so they may misfire and that would be very good that is the only way i see "meat" other than in a guard army or ork grots

Old 18 Feb 2006, 06:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash
Default Re: Meat shields (the lowest of the low)

There's no such thing as meatshields in the Tau philosophy and none in their army. Human Auxillaries and Kroot are NOT meatshields- just coz they are less expensive (and thus powerful) than Fire Warriors does NOT mean they should just be wasted to keep them safe. Using them as a distraction or bait is not wasting them, nor is it really the job of meatshields. If a unit lures an enemy into a killzone, then that's not a waste.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 18 Feb 2006, 07:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

You are all being very one sided.

OFCOURSE its smart to use "meatshields"

No one is sacrificed for nothing but if I have a expensive 300pts 3 broadside team and the enemy has lictors or fast assualt troops then I'm damn sure to surround the unit with 10 kroot.

What do I lose?

The kroot can still fire.
If assualted the kroot take the assualt and the BSs can still continue firing on size 3 targets.

The kroot are thus a meatshield yet I lose no effectiveness what so ever for the added protection.

Why would I NOT use such a tactic?
No one is telling the kroot to stand in the way and die, they are told to fight as normal only now the "greater good" they are working for is defending said broadsides.

If the enemy assualt troops are moving in ofcourse its ok to send 1 squad ahead, have them lose a CC then have the rest of your army shoot the enemy up instead of having the enemy consolidating through your army.

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 07:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

The only unit which i might use as a meatshield is a unit of drones, or if times are desperate, one of my 6 man carbine squads, but apart from that im planning on returning as many of my guys home safely.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 10:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau

Meat shields is basically using an honourless and complete opposite of the very meaning of the tau art of war.

Kroot are not a meat shield or a speed bump and i'm sick of having to state this, What people are doing is a waste of points and a waste of time. Kroot are far more effective than people give credit for, also they are not expendable nothing is expendable to the tau. Kroot have just as much right to be used as a proper unit as fire warriors do, hell i'd throw my FW's out to protect my kroot any day but i will not use such a cheap tactic. The fact is although kroot are weakly armoured and cheap that doesn't mean the best thing to do is protect your other units by using them as a shield, simply place your kroot in cover and pounce when ready this gives them survivability and effectiveness far greater than that of a fire warrior, as well as decent shooting from the kroot you can also deal out an effective cc orientated death to your enemies, most people have learned that jumping to assualt kroot in a forest is a mistake. Although another effective strategy is not as a meat shield but a fear tactic, simply infiltrate into a close proximity beside your opponent and one slightly further away, as they shoot the first squad who can usually survive quite well in cover the other group creep forward slowly and strike whilst the enemies fire is drawn and whatever is left of the first group can then shoot back or assualt. meaning an effective set of attacks that will either kill a lot or tie up a unit for quite some time. Whilst your main tau battery can blast the oblivion outta whatevers left. (god my fingers hurt but i love kroot ;D)
Old 18 Feb 2006, 10:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsurma
No one is sacrificed for nothing but if I have a expensive 300pts 3 broadside team and the enemy has lictors or fast assualt troops then I'm damn sure to surround the unit with 10 kroot.

What do I lose?
both

the lictor will easly kill all of the kroot in kill zone area because you have spread out to much then consicate or jump into combat with the broadsides. not to mentio the fact that one barb strangler will remove the kroot for the perfect line up sorry your tatic is rubish
Closed Thread