Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Funky markerlights
Closed Thread
Old 17 Feb 2006, 12:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ketter
Default Funky markerlights

I think I might have found a nice anti-horde unit, but I need your help to verify that my reasoning is codex-legal (Tau Empire Codex)...

1. Take a team of 6 XV25 Stealth Battlesuits (I KNOW this is legal )
2. Give each battlesuit a drone controller with 2 gun drones each (is this legal?!)
3. Use a markerlight hit (or two) to increase BS (do attached gun drones benefit from markerlights?!)

No ML bonus:
XV25s - 18 shots hitting 1/2 times = 9 hits
Drones - 12 pinning shots hitting 5/9 times ~ 6.7 hits
~ 15.7 hits

+1 BS:
XV25s - 18 shots hitting 2/3 times = 12 hits
Drones - 12 pinning shots hitting 3/4 times = 9 hits
= 21 hits

+2 BS:
XV25s - 18 shots hitting 5/6 times = 15 hits
Drones - 12 pinning shots hitting 8/9 times ~ 10.7 hits
= 25.7 hits

What do you think?
Old 17 Feb 2006, 12:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Horde-killer of Doom?!

Definately tasty "Math-Hammer"...but, I don't believe that each stealthsuit can have a Drone Controller.

Anyways, if this were 100% legal, then yes, this would be a very, very tasty squad! "Oh look! More Genestealers...*Splating Noises*"

[size=8pt]Merged topics Funky Markerlights and Horde-killer of Doom?! because they were based on the same topic.[/size]
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ketter
Default Funky markerlights

1. Take 3 XV25 Stealth Battlesuits
2. Give each suit a drone controller with 2 markerlight drones
3. Upgrade one suit to a team leader and give him a markerlight

You now have 7 markerlights hitting on 4+ (markerlight drone BS?!). This equates to ~ 81 points/ markerlight hit. Now I know what many of you are thinking: pathfinder's markerlight for cheaper and they get a funky devilfish for free. I understand this, but I've also heard many stories of pathfinders not surviving past turn 2 due to concentrated fire.

Stealth markers bypass much of this:
1. they can infiltrate into favourable marking positions (somewhat similar to pathfinder scout moves)
2. they have stealth armour with 36" markerlights!
3. they can move in the assault phase, after having marked!
4. they have limited defensive fire: 3 burst cannons can shoot while still marking with 6 MLs

I know it's expensive, but isn't it funky enough to at least tempt you to consider it?

[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunny
I don't believe that each stealthsuit can have a Drone Controller.
Why is that? Only one drone controller/unit? Drone controllers may only be hard-wired? Only team-leaders may take drone controllers?

Did you read/hear something to that effect in the new codex?

[size=8pt]Double post fixed. - Aunny[/size]
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Funky markerlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketter
Why is that? Only one drone controller/unit? Drone controllers may only be hard-wired? Only team-leaders may take drone controllers?

Did you read/hear something to that effect in the new codex?
I still believe that it will only be the Team-leader and the Shas'vre that can take Hard-wired options again, and the rumored XV25's optional hardpoint will probably fill some other wargear...but maybe not.

I have seen the codex, but I have not memorized it; sorry. :P
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Horde-killer of Doom?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunny
Definately tasty "Math-Hammer"...but, I don't believe that each stealthsuit can have a Drone Controller.

Anyways, if this were 100% legal, then yes, this would be a very, very tasty squad! "Oh look! More Genestealers...*Splating Noises*"
Actually the Stealth team does have the option of taking a Support System (though if one suit does, the entire team must take a Support System but it does not have to be the same system).

So this is indeed a viable option, and something worth consideration.

As for giving 3-man Stealth Team Marker Drones, I think that the cost (275+), limited Stealth Team mobility (assualt Jet-Pack move only), and a change of purpose for the Stealth Team will make such a unit a tough choice, but I am sure some adventurous Tau players will give it a try.

Fireblade

“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 17 Feb 2006, 17:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau

Not a bad tactic, quite viable since the gun derones wouldn't slow you down or highlight your position (the shields protect them too don't they? The only thing is i'm not a fan of mixing gun drones with suits, there was a lot of gun drone death last time i tried it. :'(
Old 17 Feb 2006, 18:56   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

the only problem i see with the markerlight drone to each suit is that a marker drone is 30pts EACH! are you really prepared to waste that many points?
There are two kinds of conduct the Ethereals will not countenance. The first is a failure to reflect upon what is for the Greater Good of the Tau race. The second is the deliberate refusal to follow the path of the Greater Good when it is clear what it must be.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 18:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

If a supporting Sky Ray has nothing better to do...then light them up 8)

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Closed Thread