Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I see the future.. and the future is bleak
Closed Thread
Old 17 Feb 2006, 09:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default I see the future.. and the future is bleak

In 2 weeks time my little mechs will face 2000 pts of necron badness. I have a baaaad feeling about this.
My list consists of the following

shasel with Fusion plas BSF hardwired MT
2x crisis twin linked Fusion, plas one with TL

Stealth x6
Stealth x5
2x 8 FW in DF with Multitracker Decoys and 2xSeekers each

2x Railhead with Multitracker, target lock, decoys and 2xseekers each
1xIonhead " " " " "

2x8 pathfinders with DF same loadout as the other DF minus 1 Seeker.

2x16 kroot with shapers

Now as far as hear-say goes.. i have a mighty big suspicion he will be bringing 2 monoliths Nightbringer and some heavy destroyers. His play style has smaller 'crons out front taking the hits but a larger group in reserve (but on the board) held back to negate phase out.

The only tactic i can think of is deepstriking (suicidally) the 2 monats to destroy the monoliths backed up with railheads to add some certainty of damage. The fish stealth and kroot will serve to remove as many 'crons focusing fire one unit at a time.

My problem is... never faced monoliths... i am away of their godlike 14 armour... OR the nightbringer who for all intents and purposes could probably kill my entire list singlehandedly.

You've seen my list if possible could you please give advice... both on what i should take and any other strats you may be able to share.

cheers!

p
Old 17 Feb 2006, 09:22   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: I see the future.. and the future is bleak

if he takes a nightbringer, ignore it... it can only kill 4-5 models if you let him get to close combat and barely hits with his portable lascannon.

when it comes to the monolith, just point a few railguns at it and pray
other than that focus on fast stuff and concentrate fire.

the monats aren't a good idea against the monolith as you don't get 2D6 armour penertration against it.

about the warriors in reserve... make sure you point out that he Must roll for reserves when avaliable and if they make it they must use a portal, which means the monoliths can't fire their particle whips

p.s. word of warning if he takes a deciver instead TAKE HIM DOWN as he messes up you plans with a massive psycological attack.

I use to play necrons and know their weaknesses. phase out isn't that much of a big deal as by the time their at that number the army is not a threat anymore. good luck.......
Old 17 Feb 2006, 12:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If he's bringing the Nightbringer and two Monoliths, that's more than 800 points of his 2000-point army that don't qualify as Necrons for the purposes of the phase-out rule. If you can put down about 900 points of Necrons - less than half your army's value - you can win automatically. Your seekers (and fusion-armed crisis suits) will do an excellent job here, denying the enemy their WBB rolls - but apart from that, you'll have to overwhelm him with pulse fire. Try to hit his Lord with a railgun: instakilling T5 characters is fnu.

Of course, this approach does leave you vulnerable to the actions of the Nightbringer and the Monoliths in the meantime. If his Monoliths are too aggressive you might like to plug them with your railguns - Tau are, after all, the only race with such a potent weapon against them. (That'll also stop him from using them to get an extra WBB roll for one unit per turn teleporting out of each them.)
Old 17 Feb 2006, 12:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It sounds like you couldn't ask for an easier Necron list to face.

Tau Railguns are the best weapons in the game for killing Monoliths... and in 2000 pts, you can easily fit 4-5 of them in.

The Nightbringer is an awesome close combat model... but he still only moves 6" per turn. And frankly, all that close combat insaneness is so much overkill against Tau. All you have to do is ignore him.

And as others have said, by bringing all this stuff that's utterly useless against Tau, he's not bringing what really matters... Necrons.

If I were to compose a Necron list for facing Tau, it would have lots and lots and lots of Warriors, Immortals and Destroyers with a pair of Lords. Monoliths and C'Tans are just silly against Tau.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravo
The only tactic i can think of is deepstriking (suicidally) the 2 monats to destroy the monoliths backed up with railheads to add some certainty of damage. The fish stealth and kroot will serve to remove as many 'crons focusing fire one unit at a time.
no piont the mono is immune to the effect of extra armour pen dice. (see living metal rule)

there are several option which would allow you to kill the monos

the are rail heads but i dont like there fact that there only one shot and every single wepaon necrons have can glance it.

you could take broad sides you will esally desory it (the mono) and necrons have problems with 2+ saves as such they have heavy destroyers and center of the particle whip which are able to by pass them thought take enought sheild drones(equal number or more) so until the heavy destoryers are gone.

or you could use EMP the monoliths nature is shot range as soon as it appears run fire warriors or HA's or pathfinders into it and destoy it.

i would fill up on seeker missles and distrution pods. loss the multi trakers on the fishes you dont want fishes within 18" it hurts on his go unless you manage to kill all the necrons.

loss the stealths i think what he will do is run his destoryers and heavy destoryers up to them and that will be the end of them. and stealths dont even make good necron killers.

good things can be said about kroot. Kroot come before necrons in combat (shock horror) which means they get the full attack and a full unit with hounds rules. but the night bringer will probley hunt but that good i think as he will have to concenrate or the kroot to prevent the them being destoryed by kroot. thought of course be care ful how you get the kroot into combat climb over the LOS blocking terrain.

about seekers i hope you already know this but dont wast them on people in cover inless its realy light cover 6+. also dont waste them on units near a lord thought using them on a lord inst a waste some of the times.

TL missle pods are quite good at wounding the night bringer thought i would suggest fire knife and markerlight for the missle pod.

destoryer if he bring them will kill firewarrior which arnt in cover be carful

i would change the body guards out or to helios
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Tau Railguns are the best weapons in the game for killing Monoliths...
Closely followed by S10 ordnance, surprisingly. The 2d6-and-pick-the-highest rule for ordnance is one of the few special rules that still work against Monoliths. A Demolisher actually has a better chance of penetrating a Monolith than a railgun does (if it hits), plus it has a chance to glance (which the railgun doesn't).

Granted, demolisher cannons are shorter-ranged than railguns, and less accurate. But it's worth keeping in mind as an alternative, if the situation presents itself when you're playing Imperial Guard.

We now return you to your original topic...
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ahh thankyou lanfeix and hidden devil.. didnt know about the living metal rule. I rarely get to take on the 'crons.

I will still take the crisis suits.. with twinfusion and plas but wont drop them in the thick of it... instead they will accompany the stealths who will also operate together and assist in eliminating a unit of warriors (hopefully) a turn. Thats 30 str 5 shots, 2 str 8 and 4 str 6... if he has full units of 20 it will be hard. I may have to ML to help with the numbers. Depending on the damage to the Monos.

I swapped out an ionhead for 3 broadsides. (and a little tweaking here and there). I dont like the static placement but LOS and 3 twin linked Railguns... if they take the monos out, they made their points back and a whole lot more.

I reckon placement is key here... unless he brings the deciever which could REALLY annoy for deployment. And more than ever first turn should grant me a headstart. Mind you i always deploy out of LOS with my tanks anyways... I can move 12... why shouldnt i hide eh?

thanks loads for your comments. keep em coming if you have any other good ideas... and any tales of your own experience Vs Necrons.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I have to disagree about the deceiver being worse than nightbringer. All he does is force morale checks. The deceiver's assault lascannon is more troubling for zapping vehicles and stray crisis suits. edit - of course there is the redeployment thing, but there's nothing you can do about that once the game has started. So ignoring him seems a good plan.

The heavy destroyers are pretty much the main threat. Of course if a monolith gets close enough to use the whip, pack up and leave. You might consider swapping out a railhead for a broadside team with 2 shield drones and plasma. And maybe multitrackers.

Don't take shapers... just take more kroot. Unless you mean you are taking the armor also. Even if you have no more kroot to take, spend the points elsewhere. But Kroot are good against necrons. Infiltrate somewhere to cut off the advancement of his heavy destroyers. Feel free to charge small and depleted necron squads, though you should outnumber them about 3:1 if you expect to win. Otherwise it'll just be tying them up for a while.

edit:
Quote:
I swapped out an ionhead for 3 broadsides.
The ionhead is your greatest weapon against the heavy destroyers. You don't have anything else that can really chase and threaten them, besides the railheads picking them off one at a time.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Pravo, if I were you I would drop the Stealths, and take 3 Broadsides and 1 Ionhead. With 3 Broadside you can wipe out the Monolith (after you kill the Heavy Destroyers), and the Ionhead will help with putting down Warriors (and Destroyers).
Old 17 Feb 2006, 17:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau

Get some krrot in about them, infiltrate some kroot and let them create some havoc with the front lines. Kroot have never failed me against necrons, The best thing to do is clear the monoliths out and then focus on everything else. Also don't worry bout the night bringer he isn't that fantastic, don't let it distract you. Steady your fire and aim at something more worthwhile than it.