Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tank shock
Closed Thread
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to DroneCrafter
Default Tank shock

i have never used tank shock before but i was thinking that if i used a devil fish equiped with flechette discharger to tank shock an enemy unit with [a bad] armor save like imperial guards that had another unit to its left and right and instead of holding their ground against the tank they move off to one side or the other causing them to be bunched up with one of the other groups, wouldnt that be perfect railgun submunition time.

[size=8pt]Please refrain from swearing; Future events will lead to smiting.[/size]
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tank shock

should work, if you were allowing IA3 rules you could use a fusion cannon for marines. hmmm
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:14   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to DroneCrafter

I dont have IA3 so i dont know what the fusion cannon is but if it dose a good job killing marines it sounds good to me
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneCrafter
I dont have IA3 so i dont know what the fusion cannon is but if it dose a good job killing marines it sounds good to me
it a optional head for the hammerhead. it is basicly double the fun of a fusion blaster. they are you get 2 so that there TL, they have the same S and AP but they are double the range and have a blast template its a killer
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:19   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

lol, I've seen this tactic preformed a few times before by a marine player. He had a few rhinos and went tank schocking. Forcing his enemy to step aside, but because of unit coherancy they have to move over to 1 side and thus creating a big heap >. After that he let his whirlwinds go to work, the battle wasn't pretty for the marine player's opponant .
You could also fit in a fire warrior squad in the devil fish sothat they can finish the job if there are a few survivors.

This tactic should work for the tau as well, you just have to make sure that there is an almost zero chance that the unit you are tank shocking being able to destroy the tank in a DoG attempt. For example against necrons it's better not to do something like that. I've had a few times in which they tried this actic against my army, I simply went rapid-firing with my guass flayers and there was nothing left of his transport army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfeix
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneCrafter
it a optional head for the hammerhead. it is basicly double the fun of a fusion blaster. they are you get 2 so that there TL, they have the same S and AP but they are double the range and have a blast template its a killer
This should be ok against marines, but it's no go againt armies with an armour save worse than 3+. With a small blast template you'll be lucky if you get even 3 marines underneath it. I'll rely more on making my opponants lots of armour saves, often if he has to make 7 or 8 saves he will fail 1 or 2. And that's the average amount you often get with a small blast template. Besides if he is very unlucky he will fail even more ^-^.

Greetz,
Alexander

"With all those big and shiny guns, it sure impresses ya when you're fighting them, but in the end it's the Imperium who is victorious"-Colonel Iskandor Craitz about the Tau

"This Craitz figure is a intresting human, he is loyal to his fractioning Imperium, but still he has honour that other humans lack. It will be a shame killing him"- Shas'O M'Yen Mesme

Armies:
Imperial Guard mech force: 1500 pts (work in progress)
Imperial Guard Infantry: 1000 pts
Tau: 1500 pts
Necrons: 2000 Pts
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Alexander
lol, I've seen this tactic preformed a few times before by a marine player. He had a few rhinos and went tank schocking. Forcing his enemy to step aside, but because of unit coherancy they have to move over to 1 side and thus creating a big heap >. After that he let his whirlwinds go to work, the battle wasn't pretty for the marine player's opponant .
surly the rhinos where all so hit in the suidacl aproach
Old 17 Feb 2006, 11:17   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

probalbly, but I bet it was worth it ;D
Old 17 Feb 2006, 11:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

tank shock is the base tactic for my 124th assault battalion. Infantry run along behind 3 LR tanks who are shocking straight at the enemy in echelon. Walkers with autocannon, lascannons, mortars, and rapid fire infantry do the rest.

Basic tactic is LR move forward 12" first turn then smoke. 2nd turn 6" and shoot, 3 turn same as 2. 4th turn 12" tank shock with infantry moving 6" and shooting.

Wanax
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Alexander
This should be ok against marines, but it's no go againt armies with an armour save worse than 3+. With a small blast template you'll be lucky if you get even 3 marines underneath it. I'll rely more on making my opponants lots of armour saves, often if he has to make 7 or 8 saves he will fail 1 or 2. And that's the average amount you often get with a small blast template. Besides if he is very unlucky he will fail even more ^-^.
and if your realy unlucky he passes them, luck is a double edge sword.

3 marines under template means there most likey all dead and instant killed you cause what 1 or 2 wounds? any way if the bunched (as in this example up the number i can get under that blast tempalate is a rounf 5 or 6 dependent on side hits.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

Tank shock in general is a great tactic. With empty DFs, I have run down a carnifex, a powerklaw wielding Nob, as well as several lighter miscreants. And then I have gone on to make units fall back that were close enough to my lines to cause some major damage, as well as tankshocking units off of the board. I have never used it in this way, howevere, but it could prove to be fatal for your enemies, although I wouldn't recommend throwing a passenger filled DF at anyone, even guys that can't hurt you, with this tactic.
Closed Thread