Warhammer 40K Forum

Gun drones as speed bump ?
Closed Thread
Old 16 Feb 2006, 18:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby
Default Gun drones as speed bump ?

Hi,
For my upcoming Tourney im thinking of ways to slow assaulty armys down ( mainly space marines ) I tought of small gun drone squads to throw them in the face of an incoming assault squad.
I know Kroot are good for this job as well, but gun drones can claim table quarters when in need.
So what do you think?
Old 16 Feb 2006, 18:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash
Default Re: Gun drones as speed bump ?

Unless you're leading them away from a central objective, it's giving them MORE movement rather than LESS because they will wipe out the unit and gain both an Assault move and a Consolidate. If you're leading a unit away from what you want for a turn...or setting them up for a trap...good enough then. If not, it's counter-productive.

Either will get minced in assault and each has a moderately useful shooting attack. I'd say neither of them makes a good speed bump (or anything worth sacrificing in a Tau army- they don't fight like that), but if you're forced to use something...go with the Kroot. People will rate them a higher threat index and are more likely to charge them and get stuck somewhere they shouldn't (away from an objective or into a killzone)- the only real use for this strategy I can imagine.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 16 Feb 2006, 18:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

hmm the consolidation move. Totaly forgot about that.
Hmm a larger unit of kroot assaulting ( or in cover ) should be able to hold them out of for a turn.
Thx for the reply
Old 16 Feb 2006, 19:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

The best way to speedbump using drones is deepstriking them BEHIND your enemy. This will leave him with 2 choices:

1)Carry on going forward and risk having a unit pinned every turn
2)charge the gun drones with at least one unit, forcing them away from you army, thus leaving his frontal assault weakened.

This works REALLY well against beserker armies where their extra move is towards the cloests enemy unit, meaning with a bit of luck and clever unit placement, (drones or piranhas) you can force an opponent to move forwards 6" and then back D6"

Another tactic is setting up your drones on your forward left, then clearing an 18" kill zone around that unit to gun him down after he has killed you gun drones (this also makes him VERY vurnerable to submunition shots)
Old 16 Feb 2006, 19:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use drones this way often. Works well 7" in front of your lines. Use 4 so that they will either all die or run off with ld4. Then enemy will be within rapid fire range of FW.

Wanax
Old 16 Feb 2006, 19:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I like the killzone idea ^^
But what ( on wannax and coolflame replie ) happends when the enemy consolidates?

I like the idea of deep striking 2, but with my luck...
Old 16 Feb 2006, 22:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

hey that deep striking tactic would be perfect against a templars army thats been giving me worries

"His name doesn't make any sense! How can you be a commander, Aun AND volenteer at the same time!?!"

translated parts of suspicous conversation about the Mal'caor'la 8.05.10990
Old 17 Feb 2006, 00:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

in my early games I tried using drones as a speedbump just as you described... and as said already, they did just eh opposite: they let the nasty assaulty squad out there move 12" that turn instead of just 6"!!! had I just left the drones out of the way, I could have ran back 6", they could have chased me 6", and they wouldnt have closed, nor been able to rapid fire if I kept out of 12"

looking back on it, had I had drone within 12" at the beginning of the turn, I would have JSA (jump-shoot-assault)'d them instead, bringing enough 4+ saves to ensure a next turn assault phase, and maybe another turn after that! then THAT would be a Drone Speed Bump... a Bump that covers a kroot squad from enemies' shooting field of view enough to let them leave the woods and charge in as well in relative safety!

but currently, my drones are gonna stay nice and close to their drone controller unit, since I like the idea of say 2 Crisis teams with 2 drones each assaulting an enemy that just asaulted my firewarriors(with their own 2 drones)... the enemy attacks at this point HAVE to be directed at drones, and therefore the I2 of FWs and Crisis doesnt matter anymore, and they get their swipes in. The Crisis get to actually USE their S5 3 attacks on the charge, and the entire multiple melee will mean that if the Tau do outwound and win the combat, with outnumbering morale hits and so on, on a fallback, those very same handy drones would have a very good I4 chance of pulling off a sweeping advance!

(whew! way overtyped this reply.. sorry!) :P
Old 17 Feb 2006, 00:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

JSA is better than waiting just as Calaban said.

Drones for some reason survive a whole lot better than my FW in combat (not because of it's I4) for some stange reason. It took a turns of shooting and assaulting from my friends whole Chaos are to down 4 drones...

If I were you I would use 2 squads. Use 1 as a Speed Bump and the 2nd deepstrike behind them (better yet, behind vehicles) and while the army is busy oblitering the 1st squad, take something expensive down with your newly DS drones.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok, how full are the squads of drones ure talking about Impulse?
And I tought drones werent that good to kill something on there own.

Well Calaban ure tactics seems nice, im going to try that one soon
Closed Thread