Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mind control is evil.
Closed Thread
Old 16 Feb 2006, 09:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Mind control is evil.

Ethereals somehow control the Tau race. Though they appear to be benevolent now, and have rescued the Tau from themselves, I can't help but think that level of control is evil. What would prevent the Ethereal from just having a bad day and forcing hundreds of Tau from committing suicide? Yeah, I know the fluff indicates that these guys are great guys and all, but there isn't anything in the fluff GUARANTEEING that they are any kind of god-like incorruptable entity is there?

What say you?
Old 16 Feb 2006, 10:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash
Default Re: Mind control is evil.

Whatever created the Ethereals, assuming it is some kind of external Xenos plot (like the C'Tan or the Eldar or whoever you think has a more badarse way of doing it), it doesn't seem to be working well...since the Tau are expanding their own powerbase. It doesn't benefit any other race. I believe that the Ethereals somehow came around as a kind of 'secret order' type that just basically took over the Tau and led them all to make them work together for their own greater good...I guess. Really, I don't think there's much in this mind control thing...it's just absolute respect and total blind loyalty they have been raised from birth to accept for generations and generations with no possible questioning ever existing. To me, they are the Utopian society you see in futuristic movies that some free-thinking radical always sees fit, in their arrogance, to destroy.

This time it just 'works'

The Ethereals are corruptable and mortal and everything else...they're like other Tau, just...well...bred to lead and rule. They are the way they are coz they were born into it and have been so for ages, knowing nothing else. If you think killing yourself because you were told to do it is that bizarre or 'mind control', look at the many peoples of this world who have (and still do) kill themselves because their leaders tell them to...out of respect or belief in the cause or a combination of both (the leader knows all so his will is righteous because he is the leader and so forth- you know how circular thinking goes).

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 16 Feb 2006, 15:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i think they have a level of control fromt he there smell but i think a lot comes from the respect they have for there wisedom, just because an etheral says some thing doesnt mean the fire warrior will. such as rmyr stood up the council and said his peace. there is level of control going on but in any society has a level of control hence why it exists
Old 16 Feb 2006, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

they seem too hollow avoid of emotion evoid of tauity(humanity )

Praise be to the Omnissiah.url=http://www.pickle-green.com/egraphics/main.php?id=eggs][/url]
Old 16 Feb 2006, 17:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo the orangutan
they seem too hollow avoid of emotion evoid of tauity(humanity )
They seem too hollow...devoid of emotion? Devoid of Tauity?

I'm taking a guess at what you said :P

They seem distant and detached as most rulers/leaders do, but I don't think they're emotionless at all.

Old 16 Feb 2006, 17:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau

They don't do this more out of respect, ethereals have been born and raised to do what is just for the empire not for their feelings, although they put their personal feelings aside they are not emotionless ^-^
Old 16 Feb 2006, 18:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

just because an etheral says some thing doesnt mean the fire warrior will.[/quote]

That is not entirely true. If an ethereal said, "shoot yourself in the head - it will amuse me" the fire warrior would probably not immediately do it. But if he said "For the greater good, you must die now! There is no time to explain!" then, most Tau would gladly comply.

Their pheremone mechanism - almost certainly scent linked, looking at the new Xenology book - has been described as not so much a measure of control, but rather a calming influence. Tau under its influence will lose their agitation and stress. I believe in Fire Warrior, Kais had feelings of completion, belonging, "rightness", etc. etc.

This, combined with the ethereal caste's reputation for wisdom and guidance along the Tau'va, will allow Tau to follow an ethereal's directions with a lack of many personal considerations. After all, ethereals are wise, and how much does a standard Tau know of the empire's greater plans? The ethereal is already a highly respected leader. When he confirms something by issuing a command, the Tau trust that it is the right thing to do.

However, I imagine certain Tau are less certain of the ethereals' path. Those in the high ranks of command, generally 'O rank, may have more knowledge of what is going on, and be more likely to not follow an ethereal's guidance, as their own experiences show them that it may be incorrect. Just like informed citizens are less likely to trust a government's poorly grounded assertions, but those who do not know what is going on are more likely to trust whatever they are told, even if it is lie after lie after lie.

So are most Tau. Luckily for them though, the ethereals seem to be quite good rulers, generally benevolent, and they have a system for quickly and definitively settling disputes among themselves. Honor blades might not determine who is actually correct, but the ethereals seem to hold the results of the duels in very high esteem.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 19:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

That Space Pope must be pretty bloody handy with an Honour Blade then ;D

Old 16 Feb 2006, 19:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

Ethereals and pheremones are a ridiculous idea, these are Tau, one of the most technologically advanced races in the galaxy....and you think they wouldn't detect pheremones?

What happens when mister ethereal stands down wind? Do the Tau go all nuts?
How do these pheremones breech a crisis/armour which is a sealed unit?

Pheremones = stupid.

Its much more likely to be an intervention on the part of the eldar who stole some stone (the name of which escapes me) and surgically implanted it into the ethereals, hence the strange boney ridge.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 16 Feb 2006, 19:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Sorry man, GW wants to go the way of pheremones. Read Xenology.

I agree, it's ridiculous. But...
Closed Thread