Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Railgun submunitions and Pulse Rifle power
Closed Thread
Old 15 Feb 2006, 12:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to DroneCrafter
Default Railgun submunitions and Pulse Rifle power

I had just gotten back to playing Tau this past weekend for the first time in a year and had just used my Railhead for the first time. now iam sure that the submunition dose not suffer from scatter like an ordenance weapon because it the book it says it uses the large template but it is not an ordenance weapon but he insisted that it did scatter. so was i right about it not scattering.

And second i got to wittness the fire power all those pulse rifles can bring down on an opponet i had twenty necrons deep strike right infront of four units of my firewarriors and ended up rolling 72 dice to shoot him and blew a huge hole in them unfortunatly they were necrons and half got up but if they would have been space marines it would have been enough to kill almost all of them. I think iam definatly going to try that FOF.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 13:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: railgun submunition and pulse rifle power

You were right. The submunition is a blast weapon and does not scatter, nor follow any of the other rules for ordinance.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 14:13   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Welcome to Tau Online.

You must have had (3?) Firewarrior squads grouped pretty close together to pull that off. Just remember with the FOF you are sinking a good number of points into a non-scoring unit.

It sounds like you had a pretty good game. Do you have any more details about how the game went (composition of forces, type of mission played, etc.)?

-Kurtis

Friendly fire, isn't...

The diversionary attack you are ignoring is the enemy's main assault!

The 5 second fuses on grenades are all actually 3 seconds.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 14:54   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Theres nothing more satisfying than masses of close range firepower!

Its great rolling so many dice, and a nice change from the skirmish-like nature of LOTR where you only really ever roll three at a time...

They send a man out into the open and see if he gets shot. They thought that one up at West Point.

Narrator, The Big Red One (Director: Sam Fuller)
Old 15 Feb 2006, 15:21   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Railgun submunitions and Pulse Rifle power

Welcome to the forums!

Right. The submunitions never scatter, which is both good and bad for us. It means that our hits are predictable, but our misses are complete.

FOF is a useful tactic, but not quite as much against Necrons. They can bring down our skimmers more easily than most armies, and you need a lot of Fire Warriors to even start making a dent (as you saw). With the update, we will have a lot more weapons to get around the high armor of the Necrons, so hopefully we will be a little more balanced against them than we are now.

Out of curiosity, how did the game turn out?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Is the railgun submitions a large blast or the smaller one?

And do I get to place it on the squad where ever I want?

seconds on the battle report.

Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

The submunitions blast is a large template and you do not get to place it over the squad yourself, I think you might be able to if you still cover the maximum possible number of models...but I forget the distinction, since we always did it like I said :P

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 15 Feb 2006, 17:27   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to DroneCrafter

we ran out of time so didnt finish the game what i had was four units of 12 fire warriors with no extras, 2 broadside with shield drones, 3 chrisis suits armed with missle pods twin linked and each with a flamer,and 2 gun drones, 14 kroot and 6 hounds that i managed to get into a large peice of woods, my fire warriors are the only thing i had any luck with i couldnt see to roll anything other then ones or two's for my broadsides and rail head.
Another question should i take burst cannons or smart missle systems for my railhead as i didnt get to use them once because i kept my railhead moving around the full 12 inches so that it was harder to take out. the other guys had Necrons and nids. the nids didnt get close and the one group that did were headed towards the woods my kroot were in.
what i have is two hammerhead, five chrisis, three stealth, two devilfish, seven pathfinders 3 with rail rifles, 1 kroot ox, two shapers, oh and fortyeight fire warriors, four shield drones and about 20 gun drones. any suggestions?

edit: oops sorry i forgot to say i have 14 kroot and 8 hounds

Double-post fixed. Use "modify". - Khanaris
Old 15 Feb 2006, 19:24   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis 541
Is the railgun submitions a large blast or the smaller one?

And do I get to place it on the squad where ever I want?
It's the larger of the two templates. You get to place it wherever you want, but it is only used to determine how many models in the target unit are hit, not which ones. This means that you can place it to cover the maximum amount of enemy models (although the center hole must be centered on an enemy model, as I recall), but your opponent still gets to decide which models to remove as casualties.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 20:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneCrafter
Another question should i take burst cannons or smart missle systems for my railhead as i didnt get to use them once because i kept my railhead moving around the full 12 inches so that it was harder to take out.
I'll sidestep that question and instead give you some very juicy great news:

Equipping the Tank with a multitracker means that the tank can move its full 12" and STILL be able to shoot every single weapon it has!

And, Decoy Launchers equipped are also mandatory, since bacuse youre moving over 6" each turn (to benefit from glancing only), then an immobilized result will result in death as well, and this is what Decoy launchers hopefully help you avoid...

Juicy news, eh??