Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How much is too much?
Closed Thread
Old 15 Feb 2006, 09:25   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default How much is too much?

I ask this question as there are a lot of damn good upgrades that can be taken on devilfish, and the tactica at the top of the page was helpful with regards to the must have equipment (although I had always taken it anyway). But my question to every one is:

How many points do you spend on your fishes?

I currently run my fish at 100 points, with Decoys, TA, MT.

I wish to add to these a SMS, @ (possibly can't post exact points)points, but then my fish become 120 pts. I also would like to add 1-2 seekers, but then, with the SMS, I am looking at a 130 -140 point outlay on the transports. To put it into perspective, my fire teams are 142 points!

So, any help on what to do, as I do not want them tooled up only to go down in first turn, and any stratagies that will make the points shellout viable.

Thankyou for you time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 09:31   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: How much is too much?

MT? That is such a waste on a devilfish. Scrap it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 09:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

140pts is just too much for a Transport short of a Rhino. Keep in mind this is the trap of making it more powerful when it's main purpose is to TRANSPORT, not be a gunship. There's better things to do with 140pts :P

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 15 Feb 2006, 09:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

how much is too much? Funny thing, I've been asking myself the exact same question lately. As a matter of fact, I'm currently converting a devilfish with an sms system.

So, you have went quite heavy on upgrades. I think I'll be doing the same thing myself. However, I don't think you should count seekers towards the vehicles value, as they're a fire-and forget weapon. So, my devilfish will probably be running thus:

Burst Cannon, SMS, targeting array, multi-tracker, decoy launcher. Should weigh in at 120 points. It is able to put out 7 S5 BS4 shots at 18", or 4 S5 BS4 shots at 24", not requiring LOS. It is however very expensive compared to other transports, but I think it's a matter of personal opinion whether you'll go heavy on upgrades or not.

Oh, by the way, with the SMS and targeting array, it can act as a powerful gunship. For example, on average you'll kill this many GEQ's: 7 shots x 0.67 (chance to hit) x 0.84 (chance to wound) = 3.94 = 4 guardsmen. This'll shatter a guard command squad, and as the SMS won't need LOS, you can easily hit hidden units as well. I think it's a good idea that they've turned the devilfish into a possible little gunboat, because when I play 'guard, I love the anti-infantry ability of a chimera with heavy bolter & multi-laser.

~Olannon
Old 15 Feb 2006, 10:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to chrissi3

you need a hammerhead dude
Old 15 Feb 2006, 10:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

120 is pushing it just a little...I'd say 120 is the max I'd pay for a Transport/Light gunship. It's a bad Hammerhead, BUT it is a transport and for a total outlay of...say...100pts or so total, you turn 4 throwaway distraction useless transports into light gunships. Not bad, I say...but 200pts for that? Not worth it.

It's all up to you. I personally think Olannon's 120pt figure is a bit more reasonable, though I'm still going to avoid it myself and stick to a ~100pt figure.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 15 Feb 2006, 10:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd split them up - have some Devilfish being transports for FoF style attacks with the gunship build (MT, SMS, DL and TA) whilst have others being pretend Skyrays if you definitely want some of those (2 Seekers, DL and Sensor spines (so they can hide in forests etc) and have the later ones either being on Pathfinders or for evacuating Firewarriors that are keeping their distance/holding territory etc
Old 15 Feb 2006, 12:07   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Thanks. Being honest, I think I will chuck on the SMS, and leave it, maybe have 1+ with 2 seekers instead so it is the same points as the SMS ones. Thanks again for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 17:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Putting that much equipment would turn your DF into a weak Landraider. That's bad because 1) it's insansely expensive 2) becomes a fire magnet 3) can't dish out that much firepower when used as a transport 3) pionts are better used on other units.

For FoF, I always kit out with DL (improves surviability) and FD (kills units before I use the FW).

What you don't need: BSF, SMS, MT, DP, Seekers. Other than the BSF, and MT it would turn your harmless (well, maybe not) fish into a fire magnet. There is no need for BSF since the weapon ranges are so short in the first place.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 17:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I tend to agree. Devilfish should be kept in the 100 - 120pt range.

One new option is the Purana - use them to carry Seekers as they can move faster and get better cover without disrupting your Devilfish & Firewarriors. If you take the Purana, I would suggest no Seekers on the Devilfish or Hammerheads at all. Unless you want a Skyray!

"It's not my tactics that are bad, just my dice rolling..."
Closed Thread