Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2 broadsides(same unit) vs. 1 hammerhead
Closed Thread
Old 14 Feb 2006, 23:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 2 broadsides(same unit) vs. 1 hammerhead

Well broadsides can blow the crap out of any tank, but railheads posses horde killing capabilites. On the other hand you can kill more tanks w/ 2 bs than w/ a railhead. Not to mention Railheads die faster, because everything attacks them. It's really bloody confusing :-\
Old 15 Feb 2006, 01:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 2 broadsides(same unit) vs. 1 hammerhead

It really depends on the role.

I always use railheads since they are more "general purpose". They survive a lot longer than my BS (I use cover). They can carry a whole lot more equippment (especially seekers).

BS, though cheaper, they have to buy target locks to engage at different tanks otherwise, they would all hit the same tank. Also, until the new codex comes out, they are almost immbile. A sitting duck to the stray lascannon. :-\

Hammerheads, though more expensive are much more worthwhile.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 07:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dident we have a long discussion on this already? Maybe a really long time ago, but I'm sure its somewhere, try digging it up.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 08:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

these discusstion come up every once in a while i got round to using a broadsides much more that i use hammerheads. they are more likey to kill a tank when you need it and the abiltyy to move 12" is only dependent on a board covered with dense terrian (45-75%). one your usal 25% covered board you can use broaded sides to create fire lanes causing the oppent to be war ry
Old 15 Feb 2006, 08:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Lascannon meets broadside. Broadside fails cover save. Dead broadside. :P The other broadside in the squad fails leadership, byebye other broadside.

I guess the only way to stop this is to have drones in the squad meaning simple meat shields to take a lascannon hit or two. Also bonded. Taking 3 BSes in a squad is quite overkill.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 08:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfc
Lascannon meets broadside. Broadside fails cover save. Dead broadside. :P The other broadside in the squad fails leadership, byebye other broadside.

I guess the only way to stop this is to have drones in the squad meaning simple meat shields to take a lascannon hit or two. Also bonded. Taking 3 BSes in a squad is quite overkill.
only an idiot dosnt put broadside in cover or give it gun drones (when its to be placed in cover) or sheild drones or sheild generator. With a aun on the feild a need to bond is not and the usal place for a broadside will mean it runs off the board at first sign of trouble. 3 broadsides isnt over kill the only people who say that are 360 flipers and there dirty cheats every last one of them and they all hate me because i force them to role properly. 3 broadsides may not even destory a land raider when thime comes they only have a 9/16 chance of destorying it (igrnoing wepoan destoryed results and immolisation).
Old 15 Feb 2006, 09:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

I like the Hammerhead's mobility more than the Broadside's survivability. Heavy anti-tank hitting power I've lived without for 4 straight armies now, I can do so with the Tau as well. In a balanced or static Tau army, I'd go for the Broadsides...but for Mech Tau, the choice is already made.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 15 Feb 2006, 10:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to chrissi3

dont have the codex so broadsides , kracken looks awesum
Old 15 Feb 2006, 14:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

in the new codex broadsides are going to be slow & relentless and ill be using a team of two for AV14 and obliterator hunting, and use my plethora of fusion blasters & seeker missiles against regular AV12 targets.

Personaly i find that a single hammerhead with a rail gun doesnt achieve much, so i got the ion head instead, and personally against infantry i dont need the submunitions template, i have fire warriors and drones to deal with them.

**Also, crossfc, the same thing can happen to a hammerhead, all it takes is a necron with a gaus rifle and a lucky 6 on the glancing table to kill a 180 point tank, wheres broadsides can survive 2 lascannon shots (4 with drones)
Old 15 Feb 2006, 15:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hi,

With the hammerhead vs broadside choice you are sacrificing raw firepower for mobility. Also I think for a fair comparison you have to include drones to make the broadsides more survivable.

In my army I have two broadsides with maximum drones, plasma rifles with one upgraded to a leader with a target lock. They cost 50% more than my hammerhead, and are twice as effective against tanks (once they have line of sight), and aren't bad against infrantry approaching the firebase (because they can move backwards and still fire or move forwards to rapid fire to help finish off a squad). However broadsides can't hunt down a foe like a hammerhead, and they rarely score any mission vps (eg. recon).

I believe it all depends how much mobility you think you need for your army to be effective. Players whose playing style favours mech like alot of maneoverability and like hammerheads and hate broadsides, but hybrid/static style players likes also the raw efficiency of the broadsides.

I say 1st try out a mix. Going all broadsides will give you a weakness against a fast maneoverable foe. Going all hammerheads reduces you firepower, and gives the risk of a smattering of lascannons spread accross the opposing army (so you can't easily kill them all) could ruin your hammerheads performance.

Rathstar

View my 40k Blog at: http://rathstarramblings.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread