Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Tau Pinning Army
Closed Thread
Old 14 Feb 2006, 19:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default The Tau Pinning Army

You could find a better name for it, but here is just some ideas I have. No army could make pinning efficient, until now. With the edition of new Markerlights and all-Pulse Carbine FW squads, I hope this idea will shine some light on how to defeat those fast things like bikes always tieing you up or those deadly shooty units like Devestators that always gun you down.

What is Pinning?: Pinning is when a unit cannot move or shoot at all because of fear or what not. In the past, the only units that could efficiently pin another unit were Imperial Mortar squads and Ordnance-weapon toting tanks such as the Lemun Russ, Defiler, and Vindicator. Since they cover lots of space and are usually strong, they kill units easily and will make them take a Pinning Test more easily.

Why Was Pinning Inefficient?: Mainly because a Pinning Test is essencially a leadership or morale test, except without any modifiers. That means a Marine will not be pinned every game, and a Necron pinned probably once every 200 games.

What are Tau Pinning Weapons?: The most common pinning weapon in the Tau arensal is the Pulse Carbine. The basic weapon for Gun Drones and Pathfinders, and an optional weapon for Fire Warriors. It is the same as a Pulse Rifle, except it is an Assault 1 weapon and it has only an 18'' range. The other pinning weapon in the Tau arensal is the Rail Rifle. More powerful, has a better range, and can pierce power armor, the Rail Rifle suffers from being a Heavy weapon and is not able to be used on many models. The only models in the Tau army list that can use Rail Rifles are Pathfinders and Sniper Drones.

How do you Make Pinning Easier?: The Tau are lucky to be one of the only races that can put down modifiers to make pinning easier. The Tau Markerlight allows for this to happen. With the Markerlight support from a Pathfinder squad, Skyray, Shas'ui Markerlighter, or Marker Drones, you can lower the enemy's leadership to make pinning them much easier.

What are Examples of Pinning Units?: The following are good units to use if you are going for a pinning approach.

Fire Warriors: Required, but also the cheapest and most versatile pinners in the Tau army list. A unit of 12, all with Pulse Carbines, and with attached Gun Drones, will be able to move and shoot, allowing them to get into range quickly. And if in a Devilfish, the added Gun Drones will also provide more pinning potential, and will give the Fire Warriors pinning potential, and can provide a Fish of Fury-ish tactic that allows protection against fast assaulters like Bikers, Gargoyles, Destroyers, ETC. In overall, Fire Warriors can unleash LOTS of pinning shots with a cheap price tag.

Gun Drones: The only pinning unit in the game that can perform JSJ, Gun Drones are excellent pinners. Even without Jetpacks, they are very good. They are, in overall, more accurate than Fire Warriors. However, the leadership decrease can make them less useful when at low numbers.

Piranhas: Fast and hardy, Piranhas are the fastest pinners. Often forgoten about, Piranhas have Gun Drones on them, and together with a Burst Cannon or Fusion Blaster the Pirahna can cause lots of damage.

Pathfinders: The most multipurpose unit the Tau can have in a pinning army, they have three weapons that are good for the army. Pulse Carbines, Rail Rifles, and Markerlights. The first two are pinning weapons, and the last one can make the accuracy of a pinning weapon better or make pinning easier. They also can make a deep-striking Gun Drone squad land in the best spot with their Devilfish, and the Gun Drones give 2 more pinning shots.

Sniper Drones: In my opinion, the best pinning unit the Tau can get. Stealth shielded for protection, and all having Rail Rifles, they can kill a marine with extreme ease, making for a pinning test very easily. And with the Spotters, and maybe some outside Markerlight support, they can make pinning easy or be dead-on accurate.

Skyray: Since it has two Markerlights, it can make a pinning unit be dead-on accurate or pin even a Necron. Also very hardy and sports Seeker Missiles for when you want something other than pinning.

Here is a beta version of a pinning army list.

HQ:
Shas'el w/ Cyclonic Ion Blaster, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker

Elites:
6 Stealthsuits w/ 2 Fusion Blasters
2 Crisis Suits w/ 1 Death Rain, 1 Fireknife

Troops:
12 Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Carbines, Shas'ui, 2 Gun Drones
12 Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Carbines, Shas'ui, 2 Gun Drones, Devilfish w/ DL, FD
12 Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Rifles (covering fire base), 2 Marker Drones

Fast Attack:
8 Pathfinders w/ Devilfish w/ DL, FD
5 Piranhas w/ Burst Cannons
8 Gun Drones

Heavy Support:
3 Sniper Drone Teams
1 Skyray w/ SMS
1 Hammerhead w/ Railgun, BC, MT, DL OR 3 Broadsides w/ ASS, TLPR

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 20:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: The Tau Pinning Army

you missed a pining wepoan

the Airbursting Fragmentaion launcher is a ordance barrage wepaon
Old 14 Feb 2006, 20:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Is that that other special issue weapon? Once I see the stats this weekend, I'll add it in.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 20:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Black Behemoth
Is that that other special issue weapon? Once I see the stats this weekend, I'll add it in.
yep its an assult ordance large blast wepaon with the Range, strenght , AP of your common bolter and it ignores cover saves.

its not BS depented so it perfect to be put on a shas'vre

just a small piont you can only have 1 fuision for every 3 not 2
Old 14 Feb 2006, 20:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

You mean for Stealthsuits? Sorry. Otherwise, do you think a Tau army using lots of pinning would be a good idea?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 14 Feb 2006, 20:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Great work CBB! I've been thinking of something like this as well, but haven't sat down to put my thoughts on paper.

I think an all-pinning army should go for as many units as possible with Pinning weapons, to force as many checks as possible. So fill up every single force org slot with something that can pin. Heck, take Gun Drones as your Hammerhead Secondary weapon!

Something like:

Shas'El with Twin Plasma, Missile Pod, HW Multitracker (97)
Shas'El with Twin Missile Pod, Plasma, HW Multitracker (93)

3 Stealths with HWDC and 3 Gun Drones (120)

6 Carbine Firewarriors w/ Shas'ui (70)

8 Pathfinders w/ Shas'ui (201)
8 Pathfinders w/ Shas'ui (201)
7 Gun Drones (84)

2 Sniper Teams (160)
2 ASS Broadsides w/ 2 Shield Drones (215)
Skyray w/ Gun Drones (165)

Total: 1996

That's the potential for 17 pinning checks per turn!
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 14 Feb 2006, 20:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Black Behemoth
You mean for Stealthsuits? Sorry. Otherwise, do you think a Tau army using lots of pinning would be a good idea?
i think it would be long as there is a blance out anti tank problem i think it will be a wicked army. i try one with last codex but i couldent get LD 10 to fail
Closed Thread