Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactics: Vespid Assault - 2 Fast 2 Furious
Old 14 Feb 2006, 13:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Tactics: Vespid Assault - 2 Fast 2 Furious

In preparation for the release of the new Codex, the folks at MTT have begun work on an entirely new set of articles for an entirely new tactical website called The Advanced Tau Academy which will replace The Guide to Mech Tau. As the new name suggests, the site will discuss tactics and strategies relevant to all army playstyles, although obviously the articles are being written by individuals who value mobility!

Every few days, I'm going to post the "beta version" of an article here for comments and critique. When the new codex is realeased, this new site will be available where these articles will be collected. This is the 6th in the series. Here are the others which have been posted thus far:

Tactics: Markerlights - The Beginning
Units: Skyray - The Empire Strikes Back
Units: Broadsides - The Legend Continues
Strategies: Denying Shots - The Last Crusade
Units: Firewarriors - The Next Generation

As always, mad props go out to Shas'El Tael for the superb graphics!

[hr]

[size=14pt]Vespid Assault[/size]

Admittedly, the Vespid's lack of staying power makes them well suited to a defensive role. Hiding behind terrain and jumping out to blast an onrushing assault squad is an easy and effective way to use these guys without taking too much heat on account of their poor armor save. However, limiting yourself to this role does you little good in a take-all-comers setting when you find yourself up against a shooty army with little or no assault element. It's with this in mind that the Vespid Assault tactic was developed, allowing us to safely cross the table and engage enemy shooting elements, even when terrain is limited.

In simple terms, the Vespid Assault is really just using a landed Devilfish to block LoS. However there are a few nuances that require mentioning that make this not quite as simple as it might otherwise seem. The tactic works best with Pathfinder support and coupled with another durable, close range, high-damage unit such as a mounted Firewarrior squad.

An empty Devilfish (likely belonging to the disembarked Pathfinders) is equipped with a Disruption pod and begins the game on the front lines. Our Vespid deploy behind some backfield cover, perhaps giving the illusion they're going to be used in a defensive role. The Firewarriors also deploy further back, ideally behind cover as well. The high movement values of all of the players involved means these assets don't necessarily need to be placed near each other in order to converge on their intended target. On turn 1, the Pathfinder 'fish moves up 6" and lands while the Vespid use their 12" move and fleet to hop behind it. The Firewarriors hit their afterburners, catching up to their friends.

Our opponent can probably guess what's coming at this point, but has a difficult choice ahead of him. Shooting the Firewarrior 'fish can potentially bring down the Firewarrior squad, but having moved > 12" and possessing Decoy Launchers it will certainly be difficult. The Pathfinder 'fish on the other hand moved < 6" and can therefore be penetrated, but even if it's destroyed it will still block LoS to the Vespid behind. And let's not forget that the Disruption pod makes it obscured. The only real danger is a penetrating hit on the Pathfinder 'fish followed by a failed obscurement save and then a 6 on the vehicle damage result, since this would do serious damage to the Vespid in back. Each BS4 LasCannon shot only has a 2.8% chance of accomplishing this though.

Assuming our assets made it through our opponent's shooting phase unscathed, we can then proceed with the assault. The Pathfinder 'fish moves up 6" and lands again, while the Firewarrior 'fish dumps its cargo to rapid-fire into the enemy. Any available Markerlight support should be allocated to assist.

Of course, if you have 4 Markerlight hits available, by all means guide both squads. However, if you only have 2 hits to allocate, it becomes a bit more tricky to decide who to guide. Assuming 12 Firewarriors and 9+ Vespid, the Vespid are the better choice to guide. However, if your Vespid squad is 8-strong or less, the Firewarriors are the better option. If the target squad's in cover, guide the Firewarriors.

This tactic works best on a flank, since the Vespid can only be shielded by the landed Pathfinder 'fish from one side.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2006, 13:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tactics: Vespid Assault - 2 Fast 2 Furious

OH and butfiul this tatic is you could attualy use it with any unit to protect them. which is extactly why the landing the rules say you land at the being of your turn not the end. using two fish taking turns to block that would work but probely too slow you could use two pirhanas (not in the same group).

thought saying that this tatic still works if you use the pathfinders devil fishs scout turn too land it will provide cover. some times i realy wish we had land tanks so we could use tatics like these

good work any way
Lanfeix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2006, 13:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfeix
which is extactly why the landing the rules say you land at the being of your turn not the end.
*sigh*

I was under the impression that the landing rules read something like, "If a skimmer moved less than 6" in the movement phase, you may declare it to be landed, at which point it no longer counts as a skimmer." You're saying they changed that?

Ah well, back to the drawing board...
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 14 Feb 2006, 14:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfeix
which is extactly why the landing the rules say you land at the being of your turn not the end.
*sigh*

I was under the impression that the landing rules read something like, "If a skimmer moved less than 6" in the movement phase, you may declare it to be landed, at which point it no longer counts as a skimmer." You're saying they changed that?

Ah well, back to the drawing board...
it was if a skimmer move it couldent land but may be they have changed it to your rules in the new dex. or more likey i am confused and have got something the worng way in my head i had it for a while that living ammuntion was re-rolled passed armour saves so i wouldent take me as a dead sure
Old 14 Feb 2006, 14:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think the vespids still make a good 2nd turn attack. Espeally if there is cover inbetween the two armies. If I'm playing vespids I'll blast you with thier weapons and if the squad I shot still stands and I'm in assault range than you should assault. Your in 5 is gonna beat out your average marines or go at the same time. If your ws and st was alittle bit better than you'll probally would easly wipe out a unit. They fight better than tau and have a better in than kroot unless you count the hounds.

With the vespids and the kroot you defently have more options to get into hth and shoot.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 15:10   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Is Landing Gear in the new 'dex? I don't quite remember those rules but that might help.

I think the best chance the Vespid has is a move into cover and kill everyone within 12".

However your tactic can still work. (Assume that the enemy is 24" away, also remember that you don't have to tell your oponent what is in your transports and your Pathfinders deployed outside their devilfish):

Devilfish 1 = Empty Pathfinder
Devilfish 2 = Mounted Firewarrior Squad

Turn 1:

[ Enemy >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>> Enemy]
[ --------------------------------------------------------- ] 6"
[ ------------------------------(woods)----------------- ] 6"
[ ------------------------------(vespid)-(DV1)-(DV2)- ]

Turn 2:

[ ------------------------------------------(DV1)-------- ] 6"
[ ------------------------------(woods)--------(DV2)-- ] 6"
[ ------------------------------(vespid)----------------- ]

Turn 3:

[ --------------------------------------------------(DV2) ] 6"
[ ---------------------------------(DV1)-(vespid)-(fw) ] 6"
[ ------------------------------(woods)----------------- ] 6"
[ --------------------------------------------------------- ]

Pretty much you are depending that DV1 looking like a juicer target, if it lives it lands, if it doesn't it becomes a wreck, either way it block LOS. Than the vespid flies up next to the disembarked Firewarriors and supports there fireing. Meanwhile both the Vespids and the FWs are covered from return fire from DV1.

Hope that makes sence.
Mahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2006, 15:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

that works just as well all you need to do is change some of the picture and it does extacty the same thing! we now thats all sorted have you attuly manage to use this tatic tonka
Old 15 Feb 2006, 12:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Landing Gear is surprisingly included in the new codex.. I didn't read it properly, but I think it's the same as it is in VDR? But, shall have to check up on the exact wording.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 13:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ mace
link=topic=18223.msg1057949588#msg1057949588 date=1140011000]
Landing Gear is surprisingly included in the new codex.. I didn't read it properly, but I think it's the same as it is in VDR? But, shall have to check up on the exact wording.
I got another look at the wording. Lanfeix is right. You can only land if you didn't move in the movement phase.

Old 15 Feb 2006, 13:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Can you take off again?
DireStrike is offline   Reply With Quote