Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions on the different Broadside versions (GW vs. FW)
Closed Thread
Old 13 Feb 2006, 00:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Questions on the different Broadside versions (GW vs. FW)

After hearing the horror storys from my friends about the problems they have had with the GW version of the BS I've been seriously thinking of picking up the FW version. Currently the FW version is roughly $3 american more then the GW version which makes me think that the slighly higher cost would be worth the cooler look and hopefully less troublesome version.

So I was wondering if anyone else here has bought the FW version? Also, are they able to be used in a GW tourny?
Old 13 Feb 2006, 00:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Questions on the different Broadside versions (GW vs. FW)

the gw version is vey top heavy and breaks very easy. Cause the rail guns are metal
the fw looks very good. I've seen them and don't own them. But i'll say the fw version probablly be a pain to clean but it's light and not top heavy.

The negative side of the fw version is the guns look like they where alittle warped and not strait for the rail guns. I'm gonna buy 2 fw ones next pay check with the fw leader and make a new model or some mods.

My question is with fw can you buy bits.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 00:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ruleswise there is no difference whatsoever, so there is no issue with them being taken to tournaments.

The only question I'd ask is have you done much with resin in the past, the XV88-2 has ammo feeds for the rail guns that need to be heated and bent into the correct shape. Same thing would be done if the guns warp.
Forgeworld do not sell bits.

I've not got one yet, but will eventually be updating all my suits to FW ones (using XV89s as the standard Crisis suits) so let us know how you got on if you do get some
Old 13 Feb 2006, 00:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastyfish
Ruleswise there is no difference whatsoever, so there is no issue with them being taken to tournaments.

The only question I'd ask is have you done much with resin in the past, the XV88-2 has ammo feeds for the rail guns that need to be heated and bent into the correct shape. Same thing would be done if the guns warp.
Forgeworld do not sell bits.

I've not got one yet, but will eventually be updating all my suits to FW ones (using XV89s as the standard Crisis suits) so let us know how you got on if you do get some
wow thanks for the info. That's makes me hate resin more. But atleast it won't fall apart as easy.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 00:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Also remember that in tournaments strictly speaking the FW ones are not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 13 Feb 2006, 00:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Forgeworld units are not allowed, the models themselves are fine for 'counts as' things - especially for something like this which isn't a different unit even.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 00:50   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the info.
I've dones some resin work before, though it was long ago, and it appears that all you have to do is use a hair dry or warm water to bend the resin.
Its too bad FW models arn't allowed at tournies (besides the local and independent I think). I know GW has very strict rules about this sort of thing.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 00:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderzero
Thanks for the info.
I've dones some resin work before, though it was long ago, and it appears that all you have to do is use a hair dry or warm water to bend the resin.
Its too bad FW models arn't allowed at tournies (besides the local and independent I think). I know GW has very strict rules about this sort of thing.
do some reasearch. Like currently a forgeworld piranna is not allowed cause it's not in the codex. But the broadside is. The no fordge world is talking about the fordge world books. I've seen forge world mods done to tournament models. But I can't recall any forgeworld models them selves. I think it's tournament legal for it due to the fact it's the same model but more stream lined.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 01:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

the forge world model wont suffer the same problems but resin is a royal. i havent a board side but i do have a tigger shark and the resin is a pain to clean and re shape.

the ammo feeds will be the most difficult part probley so much that you may deside that you might just cut them off and use green stuff instead. you will have to hold the ammo feed under boiling water then hold it in place, suggest you get a freind to help you as you will need 2 pairs of hands
Old 13 Feb 2006, 02:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

For finished FW broadsides, check out Wolkenmann's and my own gallery in the showcase category of the hobby section. The FW suits are very nice and since they are only slightly more expensive, definitely worth it. The guns and ammo feeds can be bent into proper position; they just take some time and patience.
Closed Thread