Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First Impressions of the new Tau Codex
Closed Thread
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default First Impressions of the new Tau Codex

I got my hands on the Tau Codex today. I must say, by page 2 I was already disapointed. The artwork for most of the beginning of the book is completely identicle to that of the original.

Next I looked over the units. HQ wise not much has changed except two new guns and some experimental wargear, most of which from what I can tell is a tad crappy for what you pay for it. The new guns are ok, but nothing to get excited about in my opinion.

Elites are pretty darn nice, who can say no too Stealth Suites armed with fusion blasters?

The moment I looked at the Troops section I got a slight shred of hope for this codex. Kroot are now 1 unit, Hounds and Krootox included. Much, much better.

Fast Attack and then my hopes were dashed. Vespids are useless and crappy beyond belief. The turn you fire their guns they WILL be within assault range of the enemy while they only get one shot each w/ a 50/50 of hitting. They also get flak vest armor and cost more than a marine each. Piranha seem ok, but aren't anything to really to dance about.

Heavy Support was actually very nice. Nothing changed for the worse. The Skyray seems fine, the drones with rail rifles are actually pretty amazing (they get + 1 BS, stealth like the Stealth suites and you get up to 3 teams per slot, and target locks.) I was pretty happy over all.

The Space Pope is the most useless load of crap I have ever seen. Other than that, I defy you not to think that when you read his rules. Shadowsun is pretty nice, a reasonable and kool character, and as it turns out, a class mate of Farsights.

Farsight.... all I can say is holy crap. He's friggin amazing. Everyone in his army gets Bonding Knives and Preferred enemies: Orks for free. There are also no limits on Drones in his army now. Too good to be true honestly. The picture of him alone makes me tempted to buy the codex. He's in my top 5 special characters list easily now

-Abbadon the Despoiler
-Typhus, Herald of Nurgle
-Cypher
-Shrike
-Farsight

Overall, I'm very disapointed, but the Farsight Enclave got a huge boost, and I like the flavor of a few things here and there. I have always loathed Tau. To be so great as to make me rank Farsight on my Top 5, replacing Baharroth of the Eldar is a huge achievment.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Sephiroth
Default Re: First Impressions of the new Tau Codex

How is it everyone is getting ahold of the new 'dex so soon?

That said, care to give us a summary of what's new background-wise? Where the Vespid have come from, and what's their angle, for example?

Oh, and are you absolutely sure the art work within it is just reused from the old 'dex?
"My sorrow and anger precede me with regard to the stubborn and selfish refusal of the humans’ Emperor to permit his people acceding to the One Path, forcing us to embrace the course of conflict. The Fire Caste will do what is asked of them, and demonstrate to the Imperium of Man that piety is no substitute for wisdom."
- His Exalted Majesty, The Ethereal 'Unforeseen Truth'
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Mm.. I liked the pictures in the Army list section :P

Vespids are really overrated. People got all hyped up when they heard about Flamer AP3 weapons on jump pack equipped units. It's all really iffy with their statline.

As for the Sniper Drone team - love them, definately getting some

I'm looking forward to the New codex overall, it's good to see overall improvements in existing units and some pretty sweet new units (and special characters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
How is it everyone is getting ahold of the new 'dex so soon?

That said, care to give us a summary of what's new background-wise? Where the Vespid have come from, and what's their angle, for example?

Oh, and are you absolutely sure the art work within it is just reused from the old 'dex?
GW Advance store copies I guess.

A lot of the artwork and fluff is borrowed from the old codex, from what I saw, at least in the start (a lot of it would have to be though, as this new codex replaces the old?). The army list style is very similar to that of the new SM codex, with sketches of the units from a front/side view.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

For the first ten or so pages, with all the basic fluff etc yes. Identicle. Vespids live on a gas giant they Tau discovered, and when the Tau showed up they rolled over without a fight.

Not much new Background wise. The Space pope actually hurts your army until he dies (makes them stubborn, so you can't fall back, even when you really need to to stop your enemy from using close combat as cover), and when he dies makes all tau hit in hth on 3s and gives them Furious charge. If He dies. But is he so tough, yet horrible in combat, thats not likely going to happen. Farsight and Shadowsun are pupils, they both trained under the same master. It turns out Farsight has indeed left the Tau empire and told the Greater good to stick it. Other than that, no real changes (and I couldn't help but complain about the space pope)
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:34   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Zeroelement

Yeah, it would be the store copies.
Alright... my initial impression upon reading the letter in White Dwarf was that I would completely hate the new Tau, along with the fact that the XV-25's just were't pretty to me.

Now, after reading the Store's Codex, I'm absolutely in love. I still have to go through it again to get the details, as all I did was skim, but oh well...

((On another note, this is my first post in month's. 'I'm not dead yet!' ))
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH
Vespids live on a gas giant they Tau discovered, and when the Tau showed up they rolled over without a fight.
They live in a Gas giant? I have no idea how that can work... :-\
"My sorrow and anger precede me with regard to the stubborn and selfish refusal of the humans’ Emperor to permit his people acceding to the One Path, forcing us to embrace the course of conflict. The Fire Caste will do what is asked of them, and demonstrate to the Imperium of Man that piety is no substitute for wisdom."
- His Exalted Majesty, The Ethereal 'Unforeseen Truth'
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The giants apparently have huge floating islands (stolen from the game Stratosphere) that the Vespids live on in hive like cities
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

Wow. I'm quite surprised. This far, I haven't seen many people that are disappointed with the new codex. Not that I've seen it myself, but everyone on the net seems to be very happy about it.

...except you.

Which brings me to my next question:

What is so horrible about the new codex?

I mean, if you compare it to the old codex, everything has the same price (or is cheaper), has the same options (or more), there are added units, wargear, limitations, special rules. I mean, we basically have the old codex- 'improved'. Is it like you were expecting tons of changes and new uber-Tau able to beat marines in h-t-h?

Crisis: cheaper, more options, cheaper options (bar the plasma)
Stealths: more options.
Ethereals: better rules, more options
Firewarriors: more options
Kroot: more options, cheaper (krootox?)
Piranha: totally new
Shield drones: improved rules by far
Vespids: totally new
SkyRay: new (at least in the official list)
Hammerhead/Devilfish: more options, cheaper options
Broadsides: more options
Sniper drones: more options
markerlights: more efficient.

The only thing I've heard about that has been made worse/given us more restrictions would be the 2 small following things, neither of which you complained about:
1+ commander
0-2 (not 0-4) seekers per vehicle.

So, basically it's just a 'better' list than the old, how can you complain? I can't believe you didn't mention the new Advanced Stabilization System (or something like that), giving us the option of slow & purposeful broadsides. Broadsides with A.S.S.'s, you cannot say 'no' to that? ^_^

anyway, my 2 cents

~Olannon
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

I guess it was just because a lot of fluff and art was recycled (well, what would you expect from a replacement codex) - and that some of the new units weren't as good as expected (vespids for one, but they're just hard to use etc). That's about it really as far as real 'disappointment' goes, but its mostly just the result of hype based off early playtesting rumours..
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
I got my hands on the Tau Codex today. I must say, by page 2 I was already disapointed. The artwork for most of the beginning of the book is completely identicle to that of the original.

Next I looked over the units. HQ wise not much has changed except two new guns and some experimental wargear, most of which from what I can tell is a tad crappy for what you pay for it. The new guns are ok, but nothing to get excited about in my opinion.
Ok 1 is you have an ordance weapon with now cover save that is a large temple
2 you have a weapon that shoots 5 times and on 6 it's ap 1
3 a 2+ armor save doesn't tickle you
4 the abilty to jump out of combat umm. Guess that's stupid too.
5 to transfer your ldr ship to a ft area garbage
6 body guard cheaper and all gear but two weapons are cheaper as well
7 lose combat and one of you guys could blow up taking out the assualtters
8 an increased bs option to improve on the crappy 3

I could go on but I think you may had speed read and didn't actually read the book.

Quote:
Elites are pretty darn nice, who can say no too Stealth Suites armed with fusion blasters?
1. I agree also the get xtra stuff too which is nice

Quote:
The moment I looked at the Troops section I got a slight shred of hope for this codex. Kroot are now 1 unit, Hounds and Krootox included. Much, much better.
1. normal tau can get an increase in thier bs is nothing to over look.

Quote:
Fast Attack and then my hopes were dashed. Vespids are useless and crappy beyond belief. The turn you fire their guns they WILL be within assault range of the enemy while they only get one shot each w/ a 50/50 of hitting. They also get flak vest armor and cost more than a marine each. Piranha seem ok, but aren't anything to really to dance about.
1. Do the math boyou. First they have a 2ft range befor movement and can reroll difcult terrain rolls. if they out of range they can fleet. So in turn two you can be in range easy.
2. 11 of them can shoot hitting 5.5 of the time. wounding 5 marines and killing about 4 marines. Not to mention your armmy also shooting as well.
3. My best advice is use them on isolated marines. Also if you in assault range than you should assault if you didn't kill them all. Best to assault them than get assaulted yourself.

At first I thought they cost alot but they are really cheap for what they do. Also toughness 4 is not something to over look. If used properly they can be deadly. Also they can benefit from marker lights to improve shooting.

Quote:
Heavy Support was actually very nice. Nothing changed for the worse. The Skyray seems fine, the drones with rail rifles are actually pretty amazing (they get + 1 BS, stealth like the Stealth suites and you get up to 3 teams per slot, and target locks.) I was pretty happy over all.
1. Hammerheads that can shoot and move
2. flechette discharger and disuption pod had changes
3. cheaper Ion cannon
4. more secondary choices for tanks

Quote:
The Space Pope is the most useless load of c**p I have ever seen. Other than that, I defy you not to think that when you read his rules. Shadowsun is pretty nice, a reasonable and kool character, and as it turns out, a class mate of Farsights.
Yah I guess they are sweet hearts. I;ll like to see those two fight on the baddle field as sweet hearts from what I read. Actually I'm joking I think in so many ways she doesn't like o'shova.

space pope = stubborn tau. Also pretty hard to kill shooting at him.

Quote:
Farsight.... all I can say is holy c**p. He's friggin amazing. Everyone in his army gets Bonding Knives and Preferred enemies: Orks for free. There are also no limits on Drones in his army now. Too good to be true honestly. The picture of him alone makes me tempted to buy the codex. He's in my top 5 special characters list easily now
the incresed body guard is what i like

Quote:
-Abbadon the Despoiler
-Typhus, Herald of Nurgle
-Cypher
-Shrike
-Farsight

Overall, I'm very disapointed, but the Farsight Enclave got a huge boost, and I like the flavor of a few things here and there. I have always loathed Tau. To be so great as to make me rank Farsight on my Top 5, replacing Baharroth of the Eldar is a huge achievment.
Loathing tau is probally why you disapointed. I'll think the improvements on the drones is another thing that makes the book great. You obviously don't have to much prior knowledge of the tau before the new book. Or you really scared to go against the new tau army.

[size=8pt]Fixed up your quotage. You need to copy and properly use the quote tags, instead of writing your replies in the middle of the quoted message :\ - mace[/size]