Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Notes on Kroot
Closed Thread
Old 12 Feb 2006, 15:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Notes on Kroot

Class is now in session

Kroot DO NOT suck. The key is to charge first, after softening up the opposing squad.

Ex.1 20 kroot are within charge range of 50 IG(one troop), and are backed up by a team of 12 firewarriors and a Hammerhead.The F.W shoot:
12 shots
6 hit
5 wound
5 dead IG

The Hammerhead fires the sumbmuition round (covers 5 IG)
5 Casulties

Kroot Charge (w/ 8 kroot hounds):

56 attacks
37 hit
24 wds
16 casulties

See! Kroot are good, they just (with supporting fire)reduced a 300 pt squad to less than 50%. admittidly, they attacked w/ 465 pts, but they didn't take a single casulty!

Ex.2 24 fire warriors in 2 fishies, 20 kroot(w/ 8 kroot hounds) in charge range of 50 IG (one troop).
F.O.F!!!

48 Shots
24 hit
20 wds
20 casulties

Kroot charge(w/8 kroot hounds)

16 casulties (see above)

36 killed w/ a 588 pt force...more dead, but your fish will die, 'cause of the 2,340,928,393,948 lascannons the IG army has.

Ex.3 If you use the above tactic on 10 spacemaines (nuthin' special)

you will kill 11 marines... HEH HEH ;D

GENERAL NOTES
*Shapers are worth the horrendous expense,but the 6+ armour save is debatable, it saves you 3/18 of your kroot. It costs 18 pts, and saves 18 pts, but 3 kroot are next to worthless, and will be killed the next turn.however, IT does give you +1 leadership...

*I (almost)always take 8 kroot hounds w/ my carnivore pack, for a measly 48 pts, you get an extra 16 attacks when you sharge, and 8 otherwise

*I never take krootox, I mean would you rather have 3 str 7 ap 4 shots or the railgun?!! Also krootox limit mobility severly

CONCLUSION

Kroot are an underated and powerful choice on the battlefield

Old 12 Feb 2006, 16:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Notes

Kroot certainly have their uses - point for point they shoot better than firewarriors do, if in a suitable wood they can form a very potent firebase which is difficult to remove by any means.
However that is a large percentage of troops dedicated to dealing with something that isn't that great a threat really (there are easier ways of dealing with that platoon than a kroot charge). Even with the marines I'm expecting decent results if I out point something upwards of three to one.
I'd also reccomend looking at some of the changes made to the new codex mentioned in the rumours sections (though they're not really rumours given that they have been confirmed by people who have seen the store copies). Krootox are no longer a heavy support choice but just part of the Kroot unit, sure you lose infiltrate but they are still worth considering now as it part of the Kroot's appeal is their flexibility - they can shoot, fight, occupy terrain and with a little help from their cousins, kill medium tanks.

Given how the army is focusing its firepower on a few select units, having a troop choice that can hold its own for a turn or two unsupported is quite useful. 3 Autocannons in a troop slot is nothing to be sniffed at, and can create an area where the enemy will be reluctant to go due to the threat area Krootox can project.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 16:27   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You're right, you should never say "this unit sucks" IN fact 10 kroot w/3 kroootox (220 PTS) WOULD BE QUITE SCARY. BUt as to concentrating your fire, isn't that the point of the au army?
Old 12 Feb 2006, 16:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It is pretty much the point of any army really, the Tau just emphasis it a bit more due to the lack of special and heavy weapons on troops. All the armies work best by focusing firepower and units supporting each other.

However are the kroot actually being used well here or could another unit of the same price accomplish this task? There are some situations where Kroot excell (anything involving forests) and are the best unit for the job - however I would say they may not be the best unit to be used agressively in the way you suggest as their low armour prevents them being reused for other combats (especially against marines and their ilk).

If your Kroot were guarding an area, and needed to assault someone who was getting too close then this would certainly be the way to do it (especially against marines who could tie up the unit for several turns otherwise). However using this as the main way of killing units seems to be making things hard on yourself - requiring you to get the slow and lightly armoured Kroot into combat without suffering too many casulties that prevents you from carrying it out again.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 16:46   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Regardless, they make exellent mop up squads
Old 12 Feb 2006, 16:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello

I always max out on troop choices for every army I do. 2 20 strong squads of kroot, the rest on FW, 2 with Dfish. I hate people that minimise on troop choices. Looking at you Chaos Space Marines.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 20:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

i agree your points have validity but i've said it before and i will say it again KROOT HAVE TOO LOW INITIATIVE they will be sliced , diced and served too you for breakfast before they can take out their guns

the time for tau is now
Old 13 Feb 2006, 01:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Kroots are statisticly good, but what are statistics ?? Here it's more a taste and style question ... also, kroots are CC made model with I3, thats what make them unuseful. Of course they rip apart IGs, but what doesn't ??
Against SM they get beat down, against Eldars too, against Nids the same, against sisters ... discutable (especially when faith points are used). That leaves extremely tough even in CC Necrons, Tau and IGs on the kroot easy snack side ...
Not much.
They are statisticly awesome when resolving hits and wounds, but they lack in the "survivabilty" subject. In the examples presented, they charge IGs, involving being 12" or less away, but 12" or less away form IGs is more likely 20 kroots down from str3 ap- rapid fire, minor treat against anything else, that 845289 IGs down ...
That's why I don't use them.
On the fire base, they are awesome, but aren't fire warriors having str5 ap5 wonderful weapons ?? Why would I bother myself with bolter worse replica when I can get " T8 killers " ??
Kroots in my opinion are awesome models, but unuseful ones.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 02:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Unless there is a multitude of wraithlords, S5 isn't all that fantastic as you do pay for it.

Fire warrior vs MEq (marine equivalent)
1/2 x 2/3 x 1/3 = 1/9 chance of a kill

Kroot vs MEq
1/2 x 1/2 x 1/3 = 1/12 chance for a kill

However a Kroot is cheaper than a Firewarrior so if we divide that number by the points cost we get the number of MEq kills per point.

Tau - 1/99

Kroot - 1/84 (no armour) or 1/108 (armoured)

So point for point, an unarmoured Kroot unit will earn more kills from shooting than a Fire warrior squad of equal points, in addition to his fancy field craft rules (which have improved in the new codex from what I here, now being just 12" vision all the time rather than just stationary).

In general the Firewarriors probably come out on top if we start doing more complicated maths - amount of points killed per points lost from return fire type ratios, however the Kroot maintain their edge if allowed to operate from a wood or forest (and will do much better against heavy weapons), or even in a Cityfight. Thats without factoring in close combat ability as well which sort of balances out with the Tau's save - both are good under general conditions, however in under ideal conditions the Kroot come out on top.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 15:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Notes on Kroot

Ideal conditions would ideally be there ... but they never are !! so I stick on "kroots are a choice of taste, not performance". I personally find them nice odels, but nothing works better for me than a mounted force, so I do so. Also, apply maths to something else than marines :
IGs : FWs pierce armour, wounds on 2+. Kroots wounds on 3+.
Sisters : FWs wounds on 2+. Kroots wounds on 3+.
SM : FWs wounds on 3+. Kroots on 4+.
Nids : FWs wounds T6 on 5+, normally pierce armour, wound on 2+ or 3+ on infantry. Kroots wounds T6 on 6+, wounds infantry on 3+ and 4+, allowing armour saves.
Eldars : FWs wounds on 2+, pierce armour. Kroots wounds on 3+.
Necrons : ... needless to say.
Etc Etc.
VS vehicles : FWs take down rhino in front/side, etc etc where krrots must have a shot on the rear.
For a little bit more points I get an "agaisntall" better unit, which can be mounted and bounded, and without the 20 models needed package to be efficient.
A matter of taste, because performance is countered by cost, but I prefer the whole brunch to simply a bacon plate.