Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The 'Kill my pope, please!' tactic
Closed Thread
Old 11 Feb 2006, 22:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default The 'Kill my pope, please!' tactic

after looking at the New Tau Codex, I saw lots of neat things (most not already mentioned here...), but the Ethereal Special Character jumped out at me.... without giving much away (I'll let you guys play 'guess the initials&#39

Specifically, it may be an valid tactic to put the pope out front, and dare the enemy to kill him!! No, seriously! The Shas'O also in the army can equip that gear that grants their Ld to everyone within 12".... and when the Pope dies.... whooooo!!! the 'price of failure on steroids' special rule.

basically, every Tau unit from then on gets FC and a 'targeted' PE! (now play the initials game!)
Old 11 Feb 2006, 23:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: The 'Kill my pope, please!' tactic

Hi,

I thought only shadowsun had the wargear that allows others to use her leadershp, and I heard it was only for target priority. You sure basic shas'o can take a piece of wargear to share ld ?

If your right, it could work. However it does sound a bit risky, what about stealths that infiltrated, they'd probably be outside 12". Also playing with all your units so close together could cause problems. If a hth unit got into your lines it could go through them all consolidating from one to the other.

Also what is the price of failure for the etheral special character ? Come to think of it I don't know what the price of failure is for normal etherals.

Rathstar

View my 40k Blog at: http://rathstarramblings.blogspot.com/
Old 11 Feb 2006, 23:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

theres a wargear that grants shared Ld, and its a 'special equipment', meaning only 1 per army, and only certain characters can carry it. While before I read 'character' to mean HQ's, after reading the codex it includes a bit more: any Shas'ui upgraded to a Shas'Vre gets to pick special equipment.

The existing 'Price of failure' rule means that if the Aun dies, any Tau unit not in close combat take a morale check at the start of their next turn. this is kindov a big deal, but not too bad, since they do get to rally.

now, in the new codex... the above is still true... but with extra perks added as well... and OOOHHHH super extra perks for the pope, himself.

(prv msg me for details, if I've teased you too much! :P )
Old 11 Feb 2006, 23:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
after looking at the New Tau Codex, I saw lots of neat things (most not already mentioned here...), but the Ethereal Special Character jumped out at me.... without giving much away (I'll let you guys play 'guess the initials&#39

Specifically, it may be an valid tactic to put the pope out front, and dare the enemy to kill him!! No, seriously! The Shas'O also in the army can equip that gear that grants their Ld to everyone within 12".... and when the Pope dies.... whooooo!!! the 'price of failure on steroids' special rule.

basically, every Tau unit from then on gets FC and a 'targeted' PE! (now play the initials game!)
I wish his save was an invulnerable save instead of a cover save honesly and sure the tau would be better fighters even with all that stuff a marine would still kick there butt
Old 11 Feb 2006, 23:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

chicop is right, its not wise to have all of your forces that close, especially as tau. And there are many more things that could go wrong.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 00:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I wouldn't be very scared of this. The Tau have no power weapons and worse initiative than just about everything. You're still better off shooting in most cases. Some units with assault weapons might find themselves charging, like suits, but only against weakened enemies with no special combat gear of their own.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 00:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Shas'O also in the army can equip that gear that grants their Ld to everyone within 12"....

The Command and Control Node only applies for Target Priority checks.

So many mis-quoted new rules showing up this weekend...

This is, however, a valid tactic if your Ethereal is the only model that starts on the table in Escalation. Toss him out front and center in your deployment zone all on his lonesome and watch him get splatted. No Morale checks since nothing's on the table yet. Then everything gets Preferred Enemy as they arrive.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 12 Feb 2006, 16:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

just stick every one in tanks then kill aun vre but i dont think it will be worth it
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
The Shas'O also in the army can equip that gear that grants their Ld to everyone within 12"....

The Command and Control Node only applies for Target Priority checks.

So many mis-quoted new rules showing up this weekend...

This is, however, a valid tactic if your Ethereal is the only model that starts on the table in Escalation. Toss him out front and center in your deployment zone all on his lonesome and watch him get splatted. No Morale checks since nothing's on the table yet. Then everything gets Preferred Enemy as they arrive.
wouldn't work becacuse the models that benefit from the bonuses is the ones who had to roll for price of failure. But a average tau will get 3+ to hit and st3 int3 wow. They fight like humans now. but can hit on a 3+ not to mention if the ones is in hth when the pope dies they don't benefit from the bonus.