Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Battle summary (Tau vs. Dark Angels - 700 pts.)
Closed Thread
Old 03 Feb 2006, 13:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default [BatRep] Battle summary (Tau vs. Dark Angels - 700 pts.)

Yesterday I finally played my first game with my Tau army. It was a 750 point game for the Wrath of the Righetous campaign at my local GW. I stayed up till 2:00am the night before trying to get stuff painted and it was well worth it.

My opponent was playing Dark Angels, the board was a 4x4 board with forests in the corners and a pair of lakes in the middle of the table. The mission was a Gamma level Cleanse.

His army

Chaplain w/ 5 deathwing terminators, 2 assault cannons
5 Tactical marines w/ missile launcher
6 scouts w/ 5 sniper rifles, heavy bolter
Ravenwing Land speeder with heavy bolter, assault cannon
Ravenwing land speeder with multi melta, heavy flamer

My army

Shas'el w/ fusion gun, plasma rifle, multi tracker
10 Firewarriors w/ shas'ui
10 Firewarriors w/ shas'ui, devilfish w/ multi tracker, decoy launchers
13 kroot
8 gun drones
hammerhead w/ rail gun, 2 burst cannons, multi tracker, decoy launchers.

He won the deployment roll and placed his tactical marines at the far side of one lake. His Landspeeder with the assault cannon hid behind some woods.
He then informed me that the rest of his army was infiltrating/deepstriking.

I deployed my hammerhead in the far corner of the table, with the devilfish in front of it. The firewarriors on foot took up a position in the second lake, while my commander hid in a small clump of trees.
We rolled for infiltrators, his scouts were placed close to my unmounted firewarriors, my kroot were placed in woods on the oposite side of the table in a position to shoot his tactical marines. My gun drones were left in reserve to deepstrike.

I had first turn and had little movement. My devilfish moved forward into range of the scouts, the hammerhead moved up the middle of the table to get line of sight to the tac squad.
The hammerhead killed three scouts and everything else was shot at the marines. They made all their saves despite getting hit with submunitions and a lot of kroot/pulse rifle fire.

His 1st turn. His missile launcher missed my hammerhead. The rest of his shooting took a terrible toll on the unmounted firewarriors. Between his scouts and his landspeeder most of the squad was killed and the remainder fled off the table.

My 2nd turn. my hammerhead and devilfish swapped places. my commander moved forward to get line of sight to the land speeder. Once again the tactical marines saved every shot against them. The scouts took another casualty from the hammerhead's burst cannons. Its submunitions missed. The land speeder was shanken by my commanders plasma rifle and he retreated back into the woods.

his 2nd turn. TERMINATORS! They deepstriked in behind my devilfish. His 2nd landspeeder landed between my hammerhead and devilfish looking really scary with its multi-melta. The terminators fired at the devilfish stripping it of its weaponry and imobilsing the tank. However the decoy launchers i'd purchased saved it and teh imobolized result became stunned instead. The multi-melta fired at my hammhead and missed and the tactical squad's missile bounced off the front of the devilfish with no harm.

My 3rd turn. My gun drones arrived, landing in the middle of the table in range of either landspeeder, or the tactical squad. The firewarriors in the devilfish decided that a glorious last stand would be the best way to serve the greater good and disembarked from their transport to face the terminators. The gun drones on the fish also dismounted and interposed themselves between the warriors and terminators. My commander flew over the trees he was hiding behind and got dangerously close to the terminators. My hammerhead flew over the lake where the first firewarrior squad had been killed to land behind the terminators.
Shooting commenced, my submunitions shell hit all of the tightly packed terminators and killed 1, while my fire warriors and drones accounted for 1 more. Finally my commanders plasma gun finished off a 3rd terminator. The kroot fired at the tactical squad and finally managed to hurt them killing off four and leaving the missile launcher all on his own. The gun drones fired at the newly arrived mult-melta landspeeder and destroyed it.

His 3rd turn. His terminators advanced towards my firewarriors dodging around the two gun drones. The scouts shot the two gun drones from the sky while the terminators blasted four fire warriors apart. The fire warriors fell back and the terminators assaulted them. They failed to rally and were instantly destroyed.

My 4th turn. This was the last turn. Not a whole lot of movement, my hammerhead moved back towards the scouts and my commander movedinto range of the terminators. In the shooting phase my kroot fired first killing one terminator. My commander killed the last terminator with his plasma rifle and the chaplain was vaporised by my fusion blaster. The hammerhead killed the last two scouts with its submunitions and gun drones killed the last tactical marine.
The only dark angels model left on the table was a landspeeder that was missing a heavy bolter. Since other people were waiting to play the game ended in a glorious victory for the greater good!

This was a fantastically fun game to play and I wasn't sure which way it was going to go. It was a little demoralising to lose my firewarrior squad on turn one but I'm glad they at least shot a bit before dying.
I've found that firewarriors can deal a lot of damage but against any AP4 weapon they die far to fast. Also Kroot are not to be underestimated as they can deliver a lot of firepower for very few points.

All in all I think I've got a pretty good idea of how to use this army and I can't wait till next week to play again.

Thanks for all the great tactical advice and ideas I've gotten here.

[Sorry forgot to tag it intially- thanks Aunny]

Congratulations. Nice, balanced list. +1 - Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 13:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Battle summary

well done for the win, never played a game that small (min 1000pt) but sounds like fun.

Wile E
Old 03 Feb 2006, 15:30   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: [BatRep] Battle summary

for the empire
well done
Old 03 Feb 2006, 15:39   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Army Ranger

gj
Old 03 Feb 2006, 15:40   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, another one wins trhe small games!

You have realise the sweet goodness of kroots. They are always saving my butt.

Good job. good luck on future battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 04 Feb 2006, 16:33   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

awesome report and congrats on the victory against the space marines ive never faced a DA army with Tau but hey there supposed to be really hard (from what other people say but not me) bring out some champagne and have a few on us again congrats

Old 04 Feb 2006, 16:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
It was a little demoralising to lose my firewarrior squad on turn one

That's pretty much what happens when you bring foot-slogging Firewarriors.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 04 Feb 2006, 17:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: [BatRep] Battle summary (Tau vs. Dark Angels - 750 pts.)

Well the points limit and what models i have assembled and painted so far didn't allow to field another devilfish. I hope to get my 2nd one ready within a few weeks and start using it at about 900 points. Though I'm also really looking forward to getting my stealths painted and trying them out so i'll have to make some decisions.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04 Feb 2006, 17:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: [BatRep] Battle summary (Tau vs. Dark Angels - 750 pts.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Well the points limit and what models i have assembled and painted so far didn't allow to field another devilfish.
I don't think another Devilfish would have been the best option. I would have suggested swapping your dismounted Firewarriors and 13 Kroot for a Deathrain and 2 units of 10 Kroot.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 04 Feb 2006, 17:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: [BatRep] Battle summary (Tau vs. Dark Angels - 700 pts.)

The next addition to my army at the 800 point level will probably be dropping one kroot and adding a death rain.
Quote:
Quote:
Closed Thread