Warhammer 40K Forum

The NEW! mechtau
Closed Thread
Old 02 Feb 2006, 23:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default The NEW! mechtau

Yo!
I just realized this as a mech player i see all the new tau
vehicles making meck tau a lot more powerful for example the skyray instead of a broadside
Plus with all the new vehicles may make an armored company list >more viable

Any Thoughts?

Listen to LiNkIn PaRk they rule!
Naruto!
Old 02 Feb 2006, 23:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: The NEW! mechtau

Armored company already is viable. You can already do a Tau list that is composed entirely of tanks. Using an Etherial attatched to a mounted Firewarrior squad as HQ you can literally have nothing but tanks. This isnt the best of ideas as there are some niches that cannot be filled by tanks and need battlesuits to make up for but it is viable. I myself run a very tank heavy army.

The new vehicles are only 2, the piranha and the skyray. However these two are going to make mechanized playing styles more versatile. The Skyray gives us mobile markerlights, an excelent support tank and the Piranha gives us fast flanking anti hord or anti heavy infantry/tank power opening up new more complex armored strategems. I am deffinetly adding a Skyray and a number of Piranha to my army when the new codex comes out, I may not always use them but I certainly intend to check them out.

Old 03 Feb 2006, 02:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

The maximum number of vehicles you can take in a Mech Tau army will now be 24!

Fast Attack - Three squads of up to 5 pirannhas - 15 total
Troops - one devilfish per slot - 6 total
Heavy support - Up to three of ionheads, railheads, or skyrays - 3 total

Or you could swap out the lighter pirannhas for pathfinders with fish, giving you 9 devilfish and your 3 HS tanks.

Unfortunately your troops slots still need to have actual TROOPS in them, and your ethereal needs to be hiding somewhere...
Old 03 Feb 2006, 03:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

you wont be able to have a tank alot army next codex because commanders are 1+
Old 03 Feb 2006, 03:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Which actually makes sense... ethereals are a secondary, not primary commander. They don't actually lead the battle, so an army without a commander doesn't make much sense...
Old 03 Feb 2006, 04:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
The maximum number of vehicles you can take in a Mech Tau army will now be 24!

Fast Attack - Three squads of up to 5 pirannhas - 15 total
Troops - one devilfish per slot - 6 total
Heavy support - Up to three of ionheads, railheads, or skyrays - 3 total
Don't forget, the Ethereal can take a Firewarrior Honorguard that can buy a Transport.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 03 Feb 2006, 04:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Ooooh, tell me more about said honor guard. What's so special about them and do they take up a slot?

To continue on this thread; I really don't see how that many vehicles would be such a bonus. Lacking crisis suits, stealth suits, kroot, vespids, snipers, and every non vehicle unit there is would make for an army of sameness, sameness in strength and sameness in weakness. Should you encounter an army with strength where you are weak, kiss victory goodbye.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 05:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

you would still be left with your elite slots along with a HQ slot if not 2 depending if you took the ethereal or not. I can definately see that advantage to taking that many vehicles, it would just be extremely expensive both monitarily and points wise. Most armies have some anti tank/vehicle capabilities, but not enough to handle 24 or 25 skimmers.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 05:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I have never seen an army that has the sheer anti tank power to take on 25 skimmers and Ive actually seen a vyper heavy saim-han list that put close to that many on the field. At the last mega battle at my local GW.

Lots of tanks is good, sometimes not always the best but they work when used properly.

Old 03 Feb 2006, 08:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

i wouldnt have a totaly mechanized army,but i plan to have 2 hammerheads,one skyray, 2 or 3 devilfishes, 2 squadrons of about 3 piranhas each(one anti horde squadron,the other anti-armor) when i want to take sniper teams or broadsides i need to left out one hammerhead or the skyray.

for now,i only got the 2 hammerheads and one devilfish