Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth suits and Targeting Arrays
Closed Thread
Old 02 Feb 2006, 16:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Stealth suits and Targeting Arrays

I have heard that the XV-25 Stealth suits are now equipped with a Hardpoint for Crisis suit weapons. Just checking quickly, I think the Targetting Array will be a strange choice.

Stealth suit with burst cannon worth 90 points per wound.
Stealth suit with burst cannon and targeting array worth 90 points per wound, based on cost of targeting array in IA3.

Unless the cost of the targeting array is other than 10, the targeting array does not affect the cost effectiveness of the unit.

Can the hardpoint be used for a weapon?
Old 02 Feb 2006, 18:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: Stealth suits and Targeting Arrays

I don't think it's a weapon hardpoint; stealths with twin linked burst cannons would seem rather odd...
Old 02 Feb 2006, 19:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The hardpoint is only for equipment not weapons. I would still love to hit on 3s and wound on 3s with 18 shots.

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 19:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So could stealth suits get sheild generators then? That would be weird a squad with 4++ saves.

Old 02 Feb 2006, 20:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Stealths with Gun Drones! 6 Stealth Suits and 12 Gun Drones. Markerlight it up with +2 BS (+3 BS if you want those Gun Drones to hit on 2s) and watch the enemy explode! That will probably the most efficient markerlight combo in the lists. It will also be horrendously expensive. And hard to hide behind terrain. It would, however, make the Stealth Suits substantially harder to kill off. Lemme think for a sec:

300 points for 6*3+12*1=30 pulse shots. Cost effective on a point for point basis with Fire Warriors (when they're outside of rapid fire range), more mobile, with stealth gear, built in higher leadership, slightly better saves (on the Stealth Suits) and better close combat abilities. Hmm... This would be a great way to make Stealth squads harder to kill or weaken without increasing the cost of the sqaud too much. A 3 man Stealth Suit squad with 3 Gun Drones costs the same as a 4 man squad, has 2 extra wounds (albeit at a 4+ save instead), and a chance at pinning. The squad also benefits from markerlights more, as Twin-Linked BS3 is better than BS4.

This is, of course, assuming the optional harpoint allows for Drone Controllers. One definately good thing about the optional hardpoint is that you can give the Fusion Blaster Stealths Target Locks so they don't have to waste their shots at weak infantry (or so the rest of the squad doesn't have to waste shots at a Land Raider).
Screaming defiance with the last breath,
To spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"

Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost, and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost.

Tell me now, is there a man among you here, is there no one who will stand up and try to fight? Tell me man, is there not one in all your ranks, is there no one who values courage over life?
Old 02 Feb 2006, 21:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I prefer the 12 drones idea becuase that is serious firepoiwer, especially with the new markerlights. That equals more marine death than I care to count.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 21:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Let's go to tonka's skyray for a sec. It has the markerlight per hit points cost of 63.8 points. So we spend 63.8 points to increase the bs of the entire squad just by one, we'll say. The increased bs increases the pulse hits from 15.67 to 21 hits. 21 pulse HITS, in fw terms, would equal 42 fw's, or 420 points of pulse death. So by spending 63.8 points, we increase the offensive points value of the unit by 106.6. Sounds like a good investment to me!