Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Speculations about the new codex
Closed Thread
Old 02 Feb 2006, 03:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Speculations about the new codex

I've been thinking () about the new codex, and I thought I should write my thoughts down on "paper".

SNIPER DRONES:

Sniper drones will probably be more useful in small points games against power armour foes. That is, any game under 1500 points :. The medium S rail rifles deny the basic armour saves of marines (and their clones), so should be relatively dangerous.

The thing with these guys is that to score a decent number of kills you really need to fire them all at one target. Every team can probably be expected to kill about two marines, so all teams shooting would probably leave a squad of the buggers crippled.

Each drone team should really be guided by a marker-light (either to increase BS or to auto-pass target priority). Fortunately, the controller comes with a NML (networked marker light). The NML can guide for the drones in that squad (assuming he hits).

And one more thing to keep you exited about these guys: since they are treated as 1-3 individual squads, each team that inflicts casualties on an enemy squad means another pinning test. Since each squad can realistically be expected to kill two marines a turn, you could force a squad to take three separate pinning tests. PWN! :P

As for target priority, I would recommend shooting at high-threat marine squads like devastators, assault squads and command squads. These squads die just as easy as normal SMs (expect maybe the command squad, who get an annoying amount of invulnerable saves) but cost twice as much.

VESPIDS:

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of vespids. The models look silly (guess whose going to be converting some special issue drones) and their points-survivability ratio is terrible.

Still, they can be good if you are careful enough with them. They have AP3 weapons, and as such are classed as "marine hunters".

Because of their poor armour, I wouldn't recommend attacking powerful units like devastators or immortals with them. Actually, I wouldn't recommend drawing attention to them at all. Tuck them behind some forests for the first couple of turns, waiting for the enemy to get close. Once a relatively non shooty enemy unit has goten close enough to reach in only a couple of turns, dart out as fast as you can (using fleet of wing) and shoot them at close range (guided by a marker light of course).

SKYRAY GUN-SHIP:

The skyray gun-ship is possibly my favourite new unit in the upcoming codex. Bearing six of my beloved seeker missiles and a pair of 'lights, its going to be an almost mandatory part of my list in 1500 point games.

The problem with it is that it takes up a HS slot. In games over 1200 points, your really going to need that slot for more rail guns.

Of course, in small to smallish games, the sky-ray will rock. Two mobile, durable lights, a slew of seeker missiles and either a SMS or twin BC for a relatively low cost.... that's pretty good.

THE NEW MARKER LIGHTS:

One of the most important changes in the new codex is a complete overhaul of marker lights. They will not guide an entire squad, giving all the models in it +1 BS or one of several other abilities.

This means that squad of eight pathfinders can score enough hits to upgrade two full squads of warriors to BS5. If those two squads are performing a double FoF at the time, they could potentially decimate (or at least cripple) an entire squad of marines.

Also, we seem to be getting a new type of drone which is equipped with a NML. Details are very sketchy, but if we are able to take them in squads of warriors and other units, they might well be the best new unit. If this is possible, I would take one in every squad.

Even necrons should be scared. O0

PIRANHA:

While almost certainly the coolest looking new unit, the actual usefulness of the piranha seems questionable. Although it will be our only fast skimmer, it will have very low AV and is open topped (after all, they aren't wearing power armour :).

It is armed identically to the devilfish, although it can swap it's BC for a FB. Many members have been raving about using the piranha as a drone dispenser, but it can only hold two gun drones and will likely be shot down before it can drop them.

Besides, how useful is a pair of gun drones, really? They will be only LD4, does not have enough shots to inflict pinning and aren't durable enough to survive more than one turn of shooting.

[hr]

'Tis all.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 03:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Speculations about the new codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vilest_worm
Because of their poor armour, I wouldn't recommend attacking powerful units like devastators or immortals with them. Actually, I wouldn't recommend drawing attention to them at all. Tuck them behind some forests for the first couple of turns, waiting for the enemy to get close. Once a relatively non shooty enemy unit has goten close enough to reach in only a couple of turns, dart out as fast as you can (using fleet of wing) and shoot them at close range (guided by a marker light of course).
with city fight there going to have a 4+ cover save most of the time and because they get no Difficult terrian tests they might as well live in it and of course shoot from it. if you move them right that means that they would be harder to assult becayse they should wipe out what ever is in the target zone

Quote:
SKYRAY GUN-SHIP:
The problem with it is that it takes up a HS slot. In games over 1200 points, your really going to need that slot for more rail guns.
there isnt any nead for all those hammerheads also the skyray can damage vechial and in the case of eldar they are you best choice. you need to get use to alterantive methods of tank busting.

Quote:
Many members have been raving about using the piranha as a drone dispenser, but it can only hold two gun drones and will likely be shot down before it can drop them.
2 pionts

1. they come in groups between 1-5

2. when the squdaron drops its drone they become one unit

Quote:
Besides, how useful is a pair of gun drones, really? They will be only LD4, does not have enough shots to inflict pinning and aren't durable enough to survive more than one turn of shooting.
Hey for the fun of it 2 more pionts

1. LD4 rule has been removed

2. its a open top vechial meaning you can assualt from it so 10 gun drone charge in to a weakened unit (weaken by pluse fire or melta or both)

edit removing mistake on comands sorry
Old 02 Feb 2006, 04:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfeix
2. its a open top vechial meaning you can assualt from it so 10 gun drone charge in to a weakened unit (weaken by pluse fire or melta or both)
Hey, that's a point I hadn't considered. With the Pirahna's movement followed by the gun drones detaching and assaulting, we now have a 20" move-and-assault range. It would only be useful in some quite specific situations - like locking some devastators or IG heavy weapon teams in combat for a turn or two. It also leaves your Pirahnas across the table and vulnerable - although, you could take advantage of their position to fire a fusion blaster or two.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 04:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Or, because you're doing a Drone drop (or should that be termed the FOF-lite) you can easily zip the Pirhannas back across the table next turn, placing them into a supporting cavalry mode. Armed with only BCs (assuming you've dropped the drones on the other side of the table) 5 of those buggers would be one hell of a fast-reaction force. Assault Marines on one flank? Zip, 15 S5 shots laid out (and at BS4 with a proper arming, BS5 with MLs) Now a Tac squad charging across open ground to your firebase on the other flank? Zip. They're dealt with, too. Combined with a drone/Vespid combi attack (moving the drones and Stingwings out of cover at the same time to shoot and stand at charge range with a static 12-man squad behind threating a counter-charge) Those units won't last too long.

I think that's the Pirhanna's only real offensive role, the FOF-lite. Otherwise, I think Fusions will turn out to be more of a liability than a positive unit. Let's face it, even Ion Cannons are a safer bet to crack tanks than to fly a lightly-armoured open-topped skimmer within 12 inches to bust it open. Fast or not. That means one thing to me, rubble.

The Pirhanna, like most other Tau units, is a primarily defensive unit.

Vespids I'm looking forward to, for the simple use of having them work wiht drone squads in ambushes like mentioned above. Especially if I can sit them in front of a unit of Kroot, and stand there and say "Bring it!" Because after you shoot up any unit that bad, if they assault that force, they deserve to get mopped.

The Skyray will be great with SMS parked behind some terrain and having other MLs mark for it.

Oh, and might I mention, I already have MLs in every squad, even my Stealths. With the new rules...muaw-hahahaha!!! Three Shas'Uis will sit across the table yelling at the enemy "YOU! Run away. YOU! Fall down." And it will be great.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 15:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfeix
1. LD4 rule has been removed

Wow, good eye for spotting that, Lanfeix.

I notice that in IA3, the drones are treated as separate units, rather than joining together into one big drone unit. Having them join up in one big unit might be worse. For example, 5 units of two drones are on the table, closing on a tactical squad. The tactical squad rapid fires a drone squad. 20 shots, 13 hits, 9 wounds, 5 saves, for roughly 5 kills on a two-drone squad. The alternative is 5 kills on a ten-drone squad. With the Ld 4 rule gone, I think they removed a real advantage, there.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 15:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Once a relatively non shooty enemy unit has goten close enough to reach in only a couple of turns, dart out as fast as you can (using fleet of wing) and shoot them at close range (guided by a marker light of course).
You can't shoot if you fleet.

Quote:
THE NEW MARKER LIGHTS:

One of the most important changes in the new codex is a complete overhaul of marker lights. They will not guide an entire squad, giving all the models in it +1 BS or one of several other abilities.
huh?

Quote:
This means that squad of eight pathfinders can score enough hits to upgrade two full squads of warriors to BS5. If those two squads are performing a double FoF at the time, they could potentially decimate (or at least cripple) an entire squad of marines.
You'll kill more than 10 Marines. I'd call that "decimating".

Quote:
It is armed identically to the devilfish, although it can swap it's BC for a FB. Many members have been raving about using the piranha as a drone dispenser, but it can only hold two gun drones and will likely be shot down before it can drop them.
Turn 1, squad of 3 Piranha turboboost up a flank 24" behind some terrain. Turn 2, drop drones, Piranha zip off to some other task. Drones can then move, shoot and move again in the assault phase. Think of it like Deep Strike, except you're guaranteed the Drones will arrive on turn 2, they don't scatter, and you can move in the assault phase on the turn they arrive.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 02 Feb 2006, 15:38   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I also believe the Piranha is AV 11 on the front. That makes it a little tougher than your average speeder.

-brimmstorm
Old 02 Feb 2006, 17:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

i thought the drone's count as disembarking making them unable to move and only shoot- i guess and then moveing in the assault phase- but wasn't the whole "rhino rush" removed?
~good hunting
Old 02 Feb 2006, 18:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver

Quote:
You'll kill more than 10 Marines. I'd call that "decimating".
5*4*2*48/216 = 8 8/9 marines

2005 record:
SVA: winning Faction
London Conflict: 3rd Place
GT Heat 2: 4th Place
Warfare 2005: tournament winner
Old 02 Feb 2006, 18:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by torgoch
5*4*2*48/216 = 8 8/9 marines

I included the Devilfish and attached Drones.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Closed Thread