Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What to Equip New Firewarriors with
Closed Thread
Old 01 Feb 2006, 23:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default What to Equip New Firewarriors with

I tried posting this in another thread but it subsequently received no responses so I'll try again here.

I'm still building a brand new Tau army (from the old army box, 12 FW, 12 Kroot, 3 Crisis, etc, and I got a Devilfish). I haven't actually painted or fully assembled the army yet and I've had some concerns regarding armaments. For the Crisis suits I know I can use the magnets and such so I'll be playing with those but I was more worried about my Firewarriors.

I've already decided to split them into two squads of six for the purposes of mobility. I kinda like the idea of a hybrid army but I think while I've got a small one a more mobile force would be better. Looking at the stats I figured it was kinda pointless to have my first two firewarrior squads armed with carbines since they're going to need the 30" range so I thought sure, why not give them all pulse rifles?

Then I heard about the Tau Empire.

Since nobody can say exactly what's in the codex I'm worried. I've decided to not give GW much of my money (just enough to build my Tau force, MAYBE a SM force, then it's all Warmachine) so it's important to build the squad right the first time since I'm not going to buy four squads to use two. I've heard that the carbine might actually be a viable option and the EMP/pulse grenades might be good, too.

I'm afraid of modelling the firewarriors with the pulse rifles when I might want the pulse carbines or sticking on the EMP and pulse grenades and not using them. While I'm not in a tournament here I plan to someday use it in a tourney and don't want to get trapped with the, "Well you can't use that because of the models."

Any suggestions? Should I still model all my FWs with pulse rifles and suck it up if the carbines turn out to be decent? Would it be a major issue to model some EMP and pulse grenades on a couple of units and then not equip them with them? Since I only get one shot for the modelling I'm a little concerned obviously and would like the tactical opinions of the fine Tau community here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 01 Feb 2006, 23:20   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: What to Equip New Firewarriors with

if your going to do anything then id suggest all rifles then you can just get metal models with carbines to interchange them with and emp/photo grenades are a good idea because they dont need to be counted as equipment so it would make sense

Old 01 Feb 2006, 23:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I had the same 'worries' about building my FWs as well, especially since an all Carbine FW squad will soon be possible... what I came up with was pinnable right arms. Rare earth magents may be kewler and cleaner, but a copper wire and a drillbit the same diameter is far easier to mass produce IMHO. The Carbines swap out just fine with a Rifle in all of my test fits, so the left arm doesnt need to change at all to swap out weapons.

with a good eye and a light touch, grenade clips can be pinned as well, leaving a hole in the belt pad when its gone, but oh well I cant have everything!
Old 01 Feb 2006, 23:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

those strip magnets you find at Canadian Tire (about $5 for about 6" of cuttable magnet) work pretty well too.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 15:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I was under the opinion that Carbines were pretty useless unless you're playing against low-leadership armies. But with the new Markerlight rules, and the ability to field an entire squad of carbines, I might change my mind. The Pulse Rifle, with it's huge range and rapid fire ability, is a better killer of all things, and I would definitely field a squad or two of them. With the small squads you're planning, and no Markerlight support, I'd take Rifles, unless you are only playing low leadership armies.

With regards to grenades, I find I never take them at all. The EMP grenade is actually pretty good, and with no Railguns on your list it might be useful. But your Fire Warriors are better shooting, EMP doesn't work against Dreadnoughts unless immobilized, and there are long range Anti-Vehicle weapons available for the Tau. I found with the Photon Grenades that I was focused on not getting assaulted, and the Photon Grenades never came into play. So I've saved a lot of points by not taking grenades.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 15:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

in response to the grenade query i'd say yes since i was told by a manager that grenades don't need modeling on at all as you can imagine they have them in pockets on their trousers or something
Old 03 Feb 2006, 00:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I figured putting a grenade on one or two troops might make them look a little more individualized but I don't wanna get caught with, "Well now you HAVE to take 'nades." :

I'm going to be mainly playing Sisters, Chaos, and Dark Eldar so I don't think the carbines will be too useful until I've got two full firewarrior squads of rifles. Thanks for the confirmation.

On another note, do you think anyone would be too ticked off at a tournament if I modelled two pulse rifles onto one or two troops? I discovered that with some creative positioning it's entirely possible to have a troop holding two pulse rifles, a rifle and a carbine, or even two carbines. Unlike the SM I can't make them in creative John Woo positions convincingly (that was loads of fun making SMs with dual boltguns aimed at the enemy) but I still think they look neat. Would a tournament referee smite me for that (just looks, I know they can't carry two and that should be obvious).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 03 Feb 2006, 00:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

im going to be fielding 2 suppresser units of 6 fire warriors with carbines (statisticaly should cause at least 1 unsaved wound per turn against most targets) and 1 unit of 12 mounted fire warriors, with rifles (for rapid fire more shots)
Closed Thread