Closed Thread
Old 01 Feb 2006, 18:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Ion Cannon or Railgun?

shall i put a ion cannon on a hammerhead or the railgun
Old 01 Feb 2006, 18:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: ion cannon

Well, I prefer the Railgun for it's raw power against tough vehicles and the submunitions for when there's no vehicles left. I've never tried the Ion Cannon. Most people advocate taking up to two Railgun Hammerheads, and make the third an Ion Cannon.

I guess the best advice I can give is take the Railgun, but don't glue it on!

Old 01 Feb 2006, 18:06   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Ion Cannon. Railguns are a generic "no brainer" gun, and one I would not recommend unless you are in serious need of anti-tank (eg: playing Bunker Assault, or running into Super Heavies).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 01 Feb 2006, 18:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Im gonna be using it with the ion cannons, as ill be bringing 2 broadside mechs (with the new stabalisation system) ad my rail guns, which will keep my railgun fire more focused on vehicles targets.

Also an Ion head with twin burst cannons will carve through most units quite nicely.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 18:20   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Exactly the reasoning I use... Brust Ionheads with Broadsides. Keeps your anti-tank and anti-infantry split, whilst both can threaten heavy infantry quite nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 01 Feb 2006, 18:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

The best thing to do - before you assemble the guns (or after, though it's harder) cut into the housing that stops the gun from sinking all the way down. You'll see what I mean, if you take the two parts and hold them together, and press the gun down onto the mount - it doesn't go all the way down, so it rocks back and forth. There's a little lip inside the gun that prevents it from going all the way down and sitting properly, so it will droop if you just place it on the mount.

This is MUCH easier than using magnets (especially with the ion cannon) or sculpting a new mount piece out of greenstuff. Credit to Wanax, I believe, for discovering it.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 18:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks you guys i will not glue on any wepon i will glue them both and use the best one in the game and it depends what army im playing
Old 01 Feb 2006, 19:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Ion Cannon. Railguns are a generic "no brainer" gun, and one I would not recommend unless you are in serious need of anti-tank (eg: playing Bunker Assault, or running into Super Heavies).
And I would disagree.

It really depends on the rest of your army composition. If you have no broadsides, and this is your first hammerhead, then I think you'd want to put a railgun on it because, in effect, it is your ONLY serious anti-tank.

If, however, you have several broadsides already, and don't fear tanks too much as a result, then an ion cannon will do about as nicely as a railgun.

The railgun, generally, has two advantages over the ion cannon. The first is that it is a stronger hit, and can more easily destroy heavily armoured vehicles (which appear rather frequently in my area). The second is that using the submunitions you can kill off a larger number of targets than you can with the ion cannon (which is limited to 3), since whatever fits under the template is hit.

The biggest drawback to the railgun is that it's an all or nothing weapon. Either it hits, or it doesn't. This actually makes the railgun more difficult to use effectively from time to time. With the three shots from an ion cannon, there's a very good chance of at least one hit, and so light to medium armoured foes can expect to be taking hits more often from the ion cannon. At 66% to hit, the railgun can be very disappointing. In fact, I miss with them so often that they are generally my secondary anti-tank weaponry (the broadsides being first).

So, if you don't have any anti-tank at all, then you really should take the railgun. It's the only thing in the army that can crack heavy armour outside of 12 inches.

If you do have other anti-tank, or don't expect anything more than medium armour from your opponents, then the ion cannon might be a safer choice. You're more likely to hit SOMETHING every round with it than you are with the railrun, and you'll find that the light and medium tanks go down faster than they would with a railgun.

Personally, I think the railgun's advantages outweigh those of an ion cannon in most circumstances. I use two in my army currently, with a squad of broadsides, and I do well enough. I just don't rely on the railguns to be the be all and end all of my strategy If I were to go totally mechanized, though, I'd likely take an ion cannon as my third hammerhead, as I wouldn't trust 3 railguns to kill off transports fast enough.

So for my money, the railgun is better overall. I like the versatility, and the ease with which it destroys armour (when it hits) and the amount of hits you can get with the submunition. If I had to have a 3rd hammerhead, though, it'd be an ion cannon.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 19:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
The best thing to do - before you assemble the guns (or after, though it's harder) cut into the housing that stops the gun from sinking all the way down. You'll see what I mean, if you take the two parts and hold them together, and press the gun down onto the mount - it doesn't go all the way down, so it rocks back and forth. There's a little lip inside the gun that prevents it from going all the way down and sitting properly, so it will droop if you just place it on the mount.

This is MUCH easier than using magnets (especially with the ion cannon) or sculpting a new mount piece out of greenstuff. Credit to Wanax, I believe, for discovering it.
Thanks

In fact if you do a search for Gun mounts you'll find an article with pictures I did for this very conversion.

Wanax
Old 03 Feb 2006, 05:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Ion Cannon or Railgun?

Hope I'm not too late, but check the Modular Tanks link in my sig, for ways of mounting/swapping the main turret weapon.

Depending on the army composition, and what you're going up against, both weapons are good to have..

Railgun - good for heavy armour (tanks, things with good saves that you need to die really quickly), and mobs of low-save infantry
Ion Cannon - basically everything in between? - namely power armour, models with average saves, and light tanks. The main reason you would take this is for the Ion Cannon's AP.