Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fighting necrons in 500pts games
Closed Thread
Old 01 Feb 2006, 16:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to VF-7
Default Fighting necrons in 500pts games

So far i've been reading thru this forums and Tonkas Td's Page to fight necrons, wich is right, but for 1500+- battles, what about 500 pts battles? (small coffee brake games/ practice games/ initiating games)

Lets see: first off "KNOW THE ENEMY"
And i dont know it quite good, asides what tonka said about Wbb rolls and ruiles but i know what My future enemy has:

Necron lord: 1... dont know the points, perhaps he'll be purchasing the orb
Necron warriors: 10 man squad 180 pts
Necron warriors: 10 man squad 180 pts
Necron destroyers: 3, 50pts each tha'll be 150 pts if im not wrong about their cost
Scarab swarms: again, dont now

Lets see what i got
x2 :Fire warrior squad-12 men strong (120pts)
x2: Ionheads or railheads (155 pts for the ionhead for sure)
Shas'el, round 92 points
Gue'vesa, various squads, (2x6, 1x8)
x6 Stealth suits (180 pts)
Drone squad (6/7)

Lets see, Counters

necron lord- shas'el
Necron warriors- Firewarriors
Necron warriors-Fire warriors
Necron destroyers-Ionhead
Necron swarms... Ionhead's burst cannon

The said above was the first thing i though, but .. something hitted me in there:

Code:
Over the course of a 6 turn game, 72 Firewarriors with unobstructed LoS, taking no return casualties, will kill 24 Warriors... or 2.5 squads
(thnks for the Info T0nka)

I dont have 72 firewarriors, and they'll likeley get within firing range or use the veil of darkness to get close and personal with my warriors, so, THATS OUT OF THE QUESTION, and my ionhead would sureley wont cut thru the 3 strong destroyer squad that will certanly be within 6" of the lord with res orb... so far so Pwned, i thought until yesterday, that i played halo and thought about the underdogs:
Gue'vesa, After looking at the charpter aprooved stats i saw this: Character Gue'vesa'ui +10pts, Markerlight+ 10 points.
Lets see, if i get my 3 squads (1x6,1x6,1x8) and my shas'el (twinfussion blaster or whatever) ill get my force organization chart done, so heres what i thought next
Quote:
Shas'el [TL Plasma, Fusion, HW Multitracker] (96 pts)
20 gue'vesa= 120pts + 1 char with markerlight per team, thats 60, 180 in total (unless, im wacho of course)
Quote:
Hammerhead Gunship [Ion Cannon, 2 Burst Cannons, Multitracker, Decoy Launchers] (145 pts)
Railhead [SMS, Target Lock, Multitracker, Decoy] (180)
Thats 601 pts, so far so good

Tactics:
1)Hide like a little girl so that if he gets first turn ill have a chance of not getting blown
2)pop out of the ground, use my 3 squads to hit the unit that's near the lord, if it is the destroyer squad then ill get em busted with the ionhead, if it is another squad of warriors thenn il do the same (providing one of the markerlght hits), next ill use the railhead, (positioned last place in deployment so he has a cleanshot of the lord without making to many moves) if 1 of the 3 units hasa* markerlight shot left, then i hope to mark the lord and slap him with the railhead (he is an IC so i cant target him unless hes the closest.. thats why ill place the railhead last, so the necron lord remaning is the closest).
3)no more heavy support (or 1 troopchoice) , no more Hq (or res orb), to do next is to whipe out another squad of warriors with the ionhead and force to phase out.
End, (so i hope, thats why i came here, to hear some advice)

Repllies (if any) Very apreciated

Ok. nobody's replying so, i started looking somewhere else
First mistake noted (rofl)
One Hammerhead gunship is allowed for each 400 points in the Tau army.
Lost are only those who abandon themselves.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 22:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Fighting necrons in 500pts games

for 500 points you can get a mechanized squad of 12, a foot squad of 6, an ethereal and an ionhead, which is the list im painting right now, try it!
Old 02 Feb 2006, 15:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Ok, first, Tonka's point about the fire warriors is that they SUCK at killing necrons. Think about it, 720 points to kill about 400 over 6 turns?! Pulse fire is terrible here.

If you are using gue'vesa for the markerlights, take a minimum squad.

Ionheads will be great. Railheads, not really.

You can have as many hammerheads as you want, although a vehicle with that armor is usually prohibited in a 500 point game (using the combat patrol rules, or what? There's no such restriction anywhere about one hammerhead per 400 points.)

How could you place a railhead last? There is a deployment order you know. Heavy support, Troops, Elites, HQ, fast. And then a separate deployment for infiltrators.

Speaking of infiltrators, Kroot can be pretty good against necrons. Try to charge a squad that you outnumber, or else one that you badly need to tie up.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 16:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh, yeah i rememer the deployment order now, sorry dont know remember the rulebook page by page.

Its home-brewed, just a vs game, no objectives kind of what "you've got on your battleforce set vs what i got eslewhere" fight

Well, i know, firewarriors sux booty fighting necron warriors, and yes the gue'vesa are beign taken in 3 small squads (two consisting of 6 men and 1 of 8) to have at least 1 markerlight hit in the heavy support (3destroyers), leaving the footslogers hard time to catch my units while i pling em with ioncannon support.

Can a ion cannon instakill a Lord or it has a chance of surviving?

Its a starting game so no major rules beign taken (no heavy armor rules under 500pts)

And i dont got kroot, they are in my "list to get" along with another firewarrior squad and a broadside
Old 02 Feb 2006, 16:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ion cannons cannot insta-kill a lord, but remember that even if you wipe out the squad he is with (which will take 2 turns at least) he might still not be the closest target, depending on how smart your opponent is. Instakill is a poor weapon to rely on, and with the orb he can still try to get back up even if instakilled. A single lord will fall to pulse fire pretty easily, and since he's getting back up anyway it doesn't matter how you kill him.

The rail has only two uses in this case. First, the instakill which has a roughly 1/4 chance to work if he has no phase shifter, 1/8 chance if he does. Second, killing scarabs with submunition, which is actually a pretty good use of it. After that it will cause a smattering of wounds to the warrior squads with submunitions, probably.

The ion has two uses as well. First, wiping out those destroyers in one or two turns. This is tremendously important, as they can flay the snot out of your troops. Make sure you deploy the fire warriors and drones in cover just in case. After that, it will NEVER have a bad target. It can even help bring down the lord, with 3 armor negating shots instead of one.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 18:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thnx for the heads up DireStrike, so now this is what i am betting on

Shas'el [TL Plasma, Fusion, HW Multitracker] (96 pts)

x 12 Firewarrior squad (120 pts)
x 6 Gue'vesa squad [Gue'vesa'ui, markerlight] (56pts)
x 6 Gue'vesa squad [Gue'vesa'ui, markerlight] (56pts)

Hammerhead Gunship [Ion Cannon, 2 Burst Cannons, Target Lock, Multitracker, Decoy Launchers] (150 pts?)
Hammerhead Gunship [Ion Cannon, 2 Burst Cannons, Target Lock, Multitracker, Decoy Launchers] (150 pts?)

Total:628 pts

Deployment: Again, behind buildings, fences or rocks, anything that i can come up with and block LoS
Turn I:
A)Necrons get the first turn, watch them move (no LoS), a problem would be that he can be using Veil of darknes, i am not concerned about that as they can only get within 18" and no LoS
B)I got the first turn, pop out of cover, Mark and Bust the destroyers, if i got lucky i will destroy them with 1 ion blast, and use the other shot to blow up some warriors

Turn II:
Well, asides of (now) hoping that he's dumb enough to Veil into the blue and get away from those nasty destroyers and getting counterattacked, its the same thing, pummel with anything i got to kill that lord.... by any means

Also, for final, can those burst cannons whipe out the scarab swarms?
Old 02 Feb 2006, 20:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I thought you said this was a 500 point game? Anyway...

Quote:
Deployment: Again, behind buildings, fences or rocks, anything that i can come up with and block LoS
You may want your fire warriors IN cover, that way they can shoot as the necrons come closer. Maybe not though - you can always wait until the destroyers are dead.

The gue'vesa are another story. A markerlight is a heavy weapon - you need to deploy somewhere you can SEE the enemy to use it.

Quote:
i am not concerned about that as they can only get within 18" and no LoS
? He can use the veil to deepstrike wherever he wants.

Pulse weapons are pretty good at killing scarabs. You might want to negate the cover saves with a markerlight, if you can.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 21:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yea, scarabs have high movement and small targets. They can also east your firewarriors alive, well not eat in the literal term. Scarabs fitted for anti-tank duty will also be a problem, but not to much of one.

Now if you really are playing a 500 point game, the best thing I could think of would be to get the farthest reaching stuff you can get. Necrons can only take 20 warriors and a lord with 40 points of wargear. Now if you are playing recon, or 40k in 40 min that is a different story all together.

40k in 40min or recon: you should expect destroyers, wraiths, and scarabs. All three of these are very good against tau. Don't take out immortals with a lord as a portal as a possibility, they just eat up anything that tau have (except maybe stealths and crisis). The other possibility is that your opponent will take a bunch of warriors. Now I really hope this doesn't happen, because I try my best to discourage massed warrior armies.

Normal 500 point game: Just taking the minimum requirement takes up every point by 40! you just have to watch out for a destroyer lord (Monstrous toughness and moves like a jet bike) with a warscythe turboboosting behind something on turn one, then getting a 18" assault on you ironhead or a fleshy group of firewarriors on turn two. Then the entire time your trying to save your forces for the rampaging turbo-lord the rest of his forces are moving their 6" forward.

Now if it is a normal 600+ point game you can expect any number of small strategies. A small immortal squad in a 700 point game is not totally unreasonable. Destroyers and wraiths work also. What you should worry about is the potential for massed scarabs in a 700 point game. Suiting up for tough targets and getting swamped with 20 scarabs and a lord with a lightning field on turn two is not going to get you the win.
"When a necron gets hit with a weapon more than double its toughness it is hit so hard that it goes into "negative damage" and does less damage than it actually would if it hit him with less force!" Quote from azimaith on Warseer, contemplating how much GW will Nerf the WBB rules.
Closed Thread