Warhammer 40K Forum

Skyrays?
Closed Thread
Old 31 Jan 2006, 22:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire
Default Skyrays?

OK, why are we getting Skyrays? Our tanks can already hold plaenty of missiles, and if you play Mech, you have plenty of tanks. Aren't Skyrays designed for shooting at aicraft? Aren't we paying a hefty price tag for markerlighting aircraft on a 2+, which many of us will barely ever, if ever, use that ability?

I'd just like to hear your thoughts on it.

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 31 Jan 2006, 22:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Skyrays?

If you looked at the other existing threads, you would that alot of your arguments are redundant, actually:

Quote:
Our tanks can already hold plaenty of missiles
Wrong - that number is dropping to 2.

Quote:
Aren't Skyrays designed for shooting at aicraft? Aren't we paying a hefty price tag for markerlighting aircraft on a 2+, which many of us will barely ever, if ever, use that ability?
Flyers are never fielded in "normal" 40k games, and thus the AA Mount ability (3+, actually, with Targetting Array) is not a part of the upcoming rules to the best of my knowledge.

My reasoning:
- Same cost as a Pathfinder squad, but more durable and mobile.
- Can carry as many Seekers as 3 other vehicles.
- Great for fluffy armies.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 00:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Also remember it has 2 networked markerlights. Mobile markerlights, just imagine what we could do with those, especially since I hear markerlights are getting seriously improved with the new codex.

Old 01 Feb 2006, 00:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

They're nice against mechinized armies (IG,orks and sisters). Otherwise, they're a waste of heavy support slot.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 16:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

The only problem I see is a limited number of shots - 6 I believe - which means that if you had a hectic first turn and fired all your seekers, you'd be left slightly high and dry all game, whereas a rail/ion head with only 2 seekers still has its prmary weapon for high strength death.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 01 Feb 2006, 17:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvaurius
The only problem I see is a limited number of shots - 6 I believe - which means that if you had a hectic first turn and fired all your seekers, you'd be left slightly high and dry all game, whereas a rail/ion head with only 2 seekers still has its prmary weapon for high strength death.
I agree. Six seeker missiles seems rather paltry, especially when other vehicles can carry that. Tonka had an excellent post regarding markerlight usage where he mentioned that while the Tau have many sources of markerlights, the Skyray is the only mobile markerlight system that the Tau possess, and has the armor of a Hammerhead, making it unique.

I think it's redundant. Other vehicles can carry seekers, Pathfinders have markerlights, and it takes up a Heavy Support slot. It's not for me.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 17:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

I'd like to point out though daniel.wilson that the number of seekers allowed on a vehicle is dropping down to two.

However, this still has no effect on me as I usually field lots of devilfishes and 2 hammerheads, so overall no change!

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 01 Feb 2006, 17:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvaurius
I'd like to point out though daniel.wilson that the number of seekers allowed on a vehicle is dropping down to two.

However, this still has no effect on me as I usually field lots of devilfishes and 2 hammerheads, so overall no change!
Well, that's what I meant. In spite of the 2 Seeker rule, which was probably only introduced to get Seeker addicts into the Skyrays, I generally field enough vehicles to surpass the Skyray's capacity.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 19:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I would certainly give the skyray a try before throwing it to the scrapheap. 2 networked markerlights per turn, from a mobile and very well protected platform sounds very fun to me. Not to mention the secondary weapon systems (it isn't defenseless when the missiles are gone)

If You're having trouble keeping your pathfinders alive, the skyray may well be a viable solution.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 19:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hi,

But isn't the skyray quite cheap. I saw it imperial armour and IIRC it was only 125 pts. 40 Pts cheaper than the basic railhead (burst cannons, decoys, MT) at 165 pts.

You could use those 40 pts to put 4 seekers on 2 other hammerheads. Even if the skyray runs out of missiles it could move up a flank looking not so effective to then guide seekers off the other hammerheads.

To move 12" and markerlight a target would take 3 turns for a pathfinder squad (move, get out, then fire next turn), while a skyray can do it in 1 turn.

I suppose I am assuming that the skyrays markerlights can light for other seekers/models. Can anyone confirm whether this is the case ?

Rathstar

Rathstar

View my 40k Blog at: http://rathstarramblings.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread