Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Additional Crisis suit attacks
Closed Thread
Old 30 Jan 2006, 23:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Additional Crisis suit attacks

This just occured to me. It not really a serious atempt at rulings, more of a 'yea but' argument, or a 'argue against this' argument:

Having an additional close combat weapon is the rule to focus on. If a SMurf has a bolt pistol, and a chainsword, it gets an additional attack, because both weapons are useable in close combat. Now, a Sister of battle Seraphim (if I'm correct, I dont own that codex yet) weilds two pistols, treated as twin linked, and as having an additional close combat weapon... this time, both weapons are useable each turn both as shooting weapons and in close combat, and so get the additional attack as well.... see where I'm going with this?? >

If a Crisis suit has 2 assault weapons (say a Burst Cannon and a Missile Pod), and a multitracker, then it too is fully capable of using both weapons each turn, and therefore.... should get an additional attack for having an second useable weapon!

The Seraphim sets the precedent of two single handed weapons granting an additional attack, implying that you get a bonus attack only if your left hand isnt tied up holding a two handed weapon in place, and if that hand has a useable weapon that is also one handed. A twin chainsword weilding veteran should benefit from an additional CCW without argument, since indeed both are useable, and a powerfist/thunderhammer flys as well. The implications are that you get an additional attack because you have two useable weapons... so.. the same instance should work for Crisis suits as well!

A twin linked burst cannon Crisis with a would replicate a Seraphim on a larger scale, two useable weapons, treated as twin linked, count as additional CCW, but on a larger and more expensive scale! Truly, why not!?!

;D The floor is yours!
Old 30 Jan 2006, 23:14   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Additional Crisis suit attacks

Crisis Suit weapons are not "one handed" weapons... they are Hard-Point weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 31 Jan 2006, 00:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

Besides that all suits have two attacks standard, which is good enough for a race which does not train in close combat heavily. Besides the reason Seraphim pistols count as two close combat weapons is because Pistols count as close combat weapons. Burst cannons do not, so therefore do not give any benefit in close combat.

Fluffwise take into consideration how large and clunk crisis suit weapons are in comparison to a pistol and tell that they should count as a close combat weapon.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 01:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to gego_cybor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Crisis Suit weapons are not "one handed" weapons... they are Hard-Point weapons.
But they are still positioned on the hand or arm. I am sure crisis suits use their arms to fight in combat.

Yes I guess that crisis suits should be able to get an extra attack for 2 CCW. In combat, the crisis suits would probably hit the enemy with thier weapons because they wont be able to use thier hands. The weapons are longer than thier hands and if they tried to punch someone then the front of the weapon would hit first. It would be like pistol whipping someone except with a super big fusion blaster ;D

I am pretty sure that GW wont allow this though since I dont think they like Tau very much.

Edit://
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O Shir'Rin
Fluffwise take into consideration how large and clunk crisis suit weapons are in comparison to a pistol and tell that they should count as a close combat weapon.
Take into consideration how big crisis suits are and how much strength they could give the Tau inside. They should easily be able to swing a burst cannon around. In the codex it says that crisis suits have stabilzers or something and therefore dont count as moving when firing rapid fire weapons. This could easily apply to close combat.

Join the Tauonline Runescape Clan!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=90.0
I'm a Leader
Old 31 Jan 2006, 01:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Strength 5 suits should have no problems holding a burst cannon as a Marine with a bolt pistol.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 01:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

Its not the strngth thats an issue, but the balance. A hardpoint weapon would be terrible in close combat, due to the fact that it lacks dexterity. It would be like tying a stick to your arm and hitting someone with it. You completely lose out on all of the dexterity offered by the wrist, fingers, and opposable thumb. A Bolt pistol on the other hand does not have this problem and indeed has a pistol grip which all the more helps in it's useage in close quarters fighting. The only way I could see this acceptable is on O'Shaovah because the Dawn Blade is held in the Crisis hand which offers the dexterity needed to benefit from the extra attack. But even then it's a stretch, beacuse his plasma rifle lacks this dexterity, so therfore wouldn't really count as a CC weapon.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 01:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

If I tie something to my hand and swing with it, isn't that like using a lightning claw?

I also feel that Crisis suits should be able to "fly high" when people try to assault them. Fly you fools!

... same with Jetbikes ...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 31 Jan 2006, 01:57   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

If this were true, it would be in the codex, as it could be argued that all Crisis weapons are single-handed. Assume that all Crisis suits have two attacks because of their two weapons, but do not give them three for it.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 17:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Tau are definitely not designed for assault! Personally, I'm thinking of adding the occasional close combat weapon, not for any extra attacks, but because I don't think I'd swing a Plasma Rifle or Fusion Blaster at a Terminator's head. It'd probably wreck it, make it explode. I think it was deliberate, GW wanted to emphasize the shooting ability of the Tau.

I have added a pair of axe blades to my Shas'O's suit, on his oversized Plasma Rifle. I replaced his lower right arm with a cut-down Hammerhead Plasma Rifle, and attached the blades to the end. Looks nice! I also used R'Myrs shield for his left arm. I cut out the hand there and put in a modified Space Marine Power Fist. It actually looks like his suit has an opposable thumb, now. I don't play it as a Power Fist, or use the conversions for taking extra attacks, I just like the way it looks. Shas'Os are pretty good in a fight, now he looks it.

I wish GW would've added close combat weapons to the Tau, even if just for decoration. They added the Bonding Knife, which is practically a machete! I was thinking of adding bayonets to my Fire Warriors Pulse Rifles.

I think a Lightning Claw would look pretty good on a Crisis suit, too!
Old 31 Jan 2006, 17:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The problem is that pistols have special rules unlike most assault weapons. In fact, a pistol isn't an assault weapon at all it is a pistol

i don't have my codex here, but I don't recall any CC weapons in the armory.

Wanax
Closed Thread