Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactica: Ethereal
Closed Thread
Old 30 Jan 2006, 16:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang
Default Tactica: Ethereal

I haven't seen any posts on ethereal usage and I think it is quite important to use them to maximum efficiency since it seems they aren't changing drastically for the new codex

so here we go:

[size=20pt]Tactic: ethereal[/size]

[size=12pt]The ethereal[/size]

OK, so what is he? he is around 50Pt's with an OK stat line for a basic trooper with no armour but 3 attacks he allows re-rolls for leadership and any squad he joins is fearless

[size=12pt]1: Honour blade or not?[/size]

firstly, do you want to spend 10 points on an honour bade to increase his strength to 5?

I would say no since if he gets into combat against something with a toughness that needs strength 6 to kill it it is

A: to late for him
B: a bad idea
and
C: a waste of 10 points since he won't be around much longer

so keep him cheap and simple

[size=12pt]2: The routine[/size]

So the ethereal can join a squad but which one to choose?

here are the units worth grouping him with

Firewarrior/pathfinder squad

This unit will become fearless if joined, pass al moral and fear tests but not much else,

If you want a fearless unit of firewarriors then put the ethereal with this unit BUT, it is best to give the unit transport to get him away from sticky situations

Kroot carnivore squad

This unit can be helpful since they are better in combat than firewarriors BUT will lose the infiltrate ability if a character without it is attached to them and they don't count as a tau unit so won't be fearless

Gun drone squadron

This unit has firepower and is OK in combat (for I and WS) BUT won't get it's jump back move with the ethereal attached and isn't fearless

whichever unit you decide to attach him to is up to you and your style of play

[size=12pt]3: Tactics[/size]

so we now have our ethereal and or unit he has joined, As for tactics, he grants all Tau units re-rolls for moral tests,

this is important since Pinning and fleeing is frustrating since it means your units can't shoot whilst they are fleeing, will probably be out of range after rallying and if pinned are liable to get assaulted,

Assault - whilst Tau aren't that bad at c;close combat whilst they are fighting hand to hand they aren't shooting which, is a bad thing.

however, this may not be so bad if against terminators or anything tat can only consolidate, in fact you may want to tie such units up because chances are that you can hold them in combat for as long as you want (due to the re-roll) so keep these units in combat at the end of your turn and then in your opponents turn (when you've probably lost the combat) re-roll a successful moral test to escape. The fact that the unit you attacked can only consolidate means that unless you are very unlucky you ca rally the unit in your turn and unleash some rapid fire on the terminator squad

(crisis suits are usefull for this role as you can give them shield generators to ward off powerfist attacks)

Price of failure- this is only what happens if he dies so to avoid this happening then keep him in a squad and if the time comes where it looks as though he may die thenget him to inspire the troops from the safety of a rock (let's face it it's what a real life commander would do) remember- he who runs lives to fight another day...
[size=12pt]
A note on the new codex...[/size]

It is uncertain about the rules for him in the new codex but with rumours that he gives units preferred enemy special rule then opponents may think twice about taking him down, when i get it I'll update this but until then just use the tactics listed

Hopefully I've provided some insight to using ethereal in your games and have encouraged you try them,

Good luck and may you prosper as Tau shall

EDIT:

when to die-

occasionally you may want to pull a lot of units back to avoid close combat BUT the following tactic is very risky and should be used carefully:

send the ethereal into a combat on his own when he dies your Tau ubits mus pass a moral test or fall back to thenearest table edge- if you are lucky you can fail your test, fall back a reasonable distance ,rally in your next turn and lay down more rapid fire

but the amount of luck requied is nothing short a game played in a strawberry jam factory so be carefull if you use it
Old 30 Jan 2006, 19:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tactica: Ethereal

Hey, nice stuff! Take a Karma Cookie! (No, really do it!)

Heh, the only down side to this tactica is that it may become some what obsolete when the new codex comes out. Cheers!
Old 30 Jan 2006, 19:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks Aunny!

I'll update it when I get my hands on the new codex (can't wait!) but i recon that will be out in 1-2 months so hopefully this should suffice 'til then
Old 30 Jan 2006, 20:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Calistarius Send a message via AIM to Calistarius

Quote:
this is important since Pinning and fleeing is frustrating since it means your units can't shoot whilst they are fleeing, will probably be out of range after rallying and if pinned are liable to get assaulted,
Literally speaking, for troops this shouldn't be a problem unless they are already near tableedge (can run off) and your enemy is outside of rapidfire range (as the rulebook I have read allows you to shoot non-heavy weapons while falling back.) I also remember a post on these forums titled something like "When to flee like a girl" that has some nice pointers for using an Ethereal, albeit before the upcoming rule changes.

I like the other points, but keep in mind that's from an observer's perspective.

Old 31 Jan 2006, 03:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The big changes for the Ethereal in the new codex are:

1. You must have LoS to the Ethereal to benefit from Inspiring Presence (if it's Night Fight, you need to roll your spotting distance to determine if you can see him)

2. When the Ethereal dies, everyone takes a Morale check as normal... but then your whole army gains Preferred Enemy for your opponent.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 31 Jan 2006, 15:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

if that is the case then people will want to keep him in LoS then (obviously) and may want to get him killed- do SM's really want ot gethit on 3's by firewarriors?

Also I've added another tactic to the post
Closed Thread