Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why the Tau are getting better
Closed Thread
Old 30 Jan 2006, 00:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Why the Tau are getting better

Greetings fellow Tau players,

If anyone is wondering if the new codex will make the Tau a more viable force ( like they aren't already ! ) and a more powerful 40k army to contend with I can give you all a unique view of how things were developed.

Until I let everyone know that we were testing a new codex ( last april )
I was a playtest servitor for GW. ( long story and it's covered on another post ) .

Never mind the details of the changes to the list, there were more than a few no-brainers to be fixed and a few things that were needed and they have been addressed.

But

I was privy to battle reports that for the most part blew my mind. In the 1st 7 battles I read the Tau did not win a single game, and not only was the list composition poor, but so were the tactics employed. Basically the playtesting was done ( for the most part ) by non-Tau players who did not know a pulse rifle from a hole in the ground.

I resigned amid chaos and was getting battle reports for the next couple of months ( until they realized they forgot to remove me ! ) .

I did not see one single well played battle report, nor did any of the playtesters go full mech, it was usually min squads of FW's spread all over the place and terrible fire coordination. All I could do was shake my head and realize that all I had to do was wait for them to make the Tau better because they were so weak ( HA! ).

The new codex will make the Tau even more unstoppable.

Tau'va!!
Old 30 Jan 2006, 01:02   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: Why the Tau are getting better

i would like to know what are they relly changing to make them nigh-unstoppable FW and Kroot wise will they both be really effective

Old 30 Jan 2006, 01:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Shaso Rama, you don't see us complaining about the new rules Probably not a good idea to say that though.. in case GW decide to change their mind.. but anyway, I think since then, they've gotten some decent play testers - e.g. actual Tau players - and they've identified the lack of power armour killing weaponry in our army.. Everything else is fine IMO.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 02:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I keep getting the impression that the designers, or SOMEBODY doesn't understand what it means to be a force that relies exclusively on guns without any real combat capability. It often seems that the Tau were designed from an adversary's point of view. I can picture some 16 year old power-armor fanboy playtester, forehead veins bulging as he adds comments to a battle report, "Jump-shot-jump is ANOYING!!111 ADD SOME POINTS FOR GODS SAKE HE KILLS MARINES EMPORORS FINEST Oh and my uncle is in the marines so they're cool :-) oh and PULSE RIFLES STR 5 WTF THATS LIKE GODLY THEY ARE JUST TROPS ADD SUM POINTS GW!!!1"

So, your report doesn't surprise me, but gives me someone to blame, at least.

Any chance you could show us some of these battle reports, if you saved any?
Old 30 Jan 2006, 02:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I think I said something recently. It went something like this:

Quote:
The funny thing is, the more you learn about GW and Tau, the more you realize they (GW) know NOTHING about Tau.
It is very sad.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 30 Jan 2006, 05:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau

Quote:
The funny thing is, the more you learn about GW and Tau, the more you realize they (GW) know NOTHING about Tau.
It is very sad.
Indeed. The fowling links should only be viewed by veteran tau players; newbies will be marked for life:

Main tactics

"advice" on crisis suits

The horror, the horror...
Old 30 Jan 2006, 05:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vilest_worm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau

Quote:
It is very sad.
Indeed. The fowling links should only be viewed by veteran tau players; newbies will be marked for life:

Main tactics

"advice" on crisis suits

The horror, the horror...
Those tactics are an absolute joke...I feel bad for the guy who wrote them.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 06:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I hate those tactics. I used them once. They "seem" good, but arn't. They claim to be experts...

No wonder Tau "needed more power".

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 30 Jan 2006, 06:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

honestly i think that the new rules will confuse the heck out of newbies with all the upgrades- making the armies unbalanced if only the "cool" things are sought. i mean, whats something bad that has been added? the new gear options sound awsome, but are expensive, the whole ethereal thing still confuses me (preffered enemy???) and markerlights just became the make or break, anything with a make or break policy is bad.
~good hunting
ps: of course the good things added like the markerlights benefiting an entire unit are god frakken awsome
Old 30 Jan 2006, 08:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
I keep getting the impression that the designers, or SOMEBODY doesn't understand what it means to be a force that relies exclusively on guns without any real combat capability. It often seems that the Tau were designed from an adversary's point of view. I can picture some 16 year old power-armor fanboy playtester, forehead veins bulging as he adds comments to a battle report, "Jump-shot-jump is ANOYING!!111 ADD SOME POINTS FOR GODS SAKE HE KILLS MARINES EMPORORS FINEST Oh and my uncle is in the marines so they're cool :-) oh and PULSE RIFLES STR 5 WTF THATS LIKE GODLY THEY ARE JUST TROPS ADD SUM POINTS GW!!!1"
I have heard this comment quite often during my early Tau-playing days. It is rather annoying over time. The space marines (yes, I play them as well) has, for too long, been living safely inside their power armor. When someone fields a few ap3 weapons, the screaming begins. Most SM players I have fought against, while playing Tau, has never had any real tactic. Only marching forward, trying desperatly to get into close combat. And when this "tactic" fail (ow, my bolter) , Tau is cheesy...

I do not see Tau as a newbie army. I would leave it for more experienced players.
A beginners army should be Orcs, Eldar or/and Imperial Guard. (I do not care much for beginner space marines). I see Tau as an exellent option for an experienced gamers second army.

Personally I play Tau for the tactics alone. The awesome fluff and models, I see as a bonus alone. I have played about fifteen battles with my Tau army, and only lost once.(Against drop troop/deep strike space marines. 15 termies=ouch).
Closed Thread