Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Where'd my antennae go?
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jan 2006, 14:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Krimxon Send a message via Yahoo to Krimxon
Default Where'd my antennae go?

I've bought the Tau Battleforce and something has gone awful. After painting half the box, I suppose I will build my drones... Then it hit me. Half of my sprues are missing their antennae and I cannot possibly return them. What do I do!? Where can I get new antennae seperately? Or can I manufacture my own out of spair plastic?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Old 28 Jan 2006, 14:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Where'd my Antennae go?

There should only be 1 attennae per drone (there are 2 slots for the attennae but there's noly 1 attennae). However, shield drones come with 2 attenae. I think you are confused with shield and regualr gun drones.
Old 28 Jan 2006, 14:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Comm_Nagrom

actually i beleive he means that the one they come with is missing
Old 28 Jan 2006, 16:43   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to mwolfy Send a message via MSN to mwolfy

My mom vacummed up one of the legs to a crisis suit....is there any way to but just a leg?
Old 28 Jan 2006, 16:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

The bad news is, GW don't sell individual components of plastic sprues. So if indeed half the antennas really are missing or you can't dig the leg out of the dustbag, you are up the creek with no canoe.
Old 28 Jan 2006, 19:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to gego_cybor1

You can easily make your own aerials. Doesn't look as good but it fits.

1. You can carve out your own aerial from a piece of sprue. Do this only if you are really good at carving and sculpting because if not it will come out looking crappy.

2. The best way is to take an aerial that you do have and put it on a table. Then take a small ball of green stuff and push it into the table with the aerial. Make sure you cover the whole aerial. Then pick up the green stuff and slowly and carefully peel off the aerial. The imprint should be left there. Then flip the aerial around and put it on the table flipped upside down. Then take another piece of green stuff and push it into the aerial. The imprint should be left there too so now you have 2 molds to keep making aerials with green stuff. Let the molds dry and harden. Once hard take a very small bit of green stuff and push it into the mold. Let it dry and once dry it should peel off easily. Do the same with the other mold. Once both pieces are dry and hard you can glue them together and file off any mold lines you have left.

I personally use this technique to duplicate arms and feet and other body parts. One day I am going to try duplicating a whole figure

There ya go. Free, easy, aerials (except for the cost of green stuff)

Join the Tauonline Runescape Clan!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=90.0
I'm a Leader
Old 28 Jan 2006, 20:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Quote:
Originally Posted by gego_cybor1

I personally use this technique to duplicate arms and feet and other body parts. One day I am going to try duplicating a whole figure
Small note, it's legal to do that with indivdual parts, though it's a grey area, but it is technically illegal to copy a whole model.
Old 28 Jan 2006, 20:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

WOW! a Greenstuffed mold for molding stuff with.... greenstuff! whoda thunk it?!?

I guess my only confusion with that self help project is: how do you get the antenna out of the mold before it cures and is now permanently attached... without bending the not yet cured mold? if its all puddylike, how do you not ruin it?
Old 28 Jan 2006, 22:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

If they're missing their [one] antenna - how would that happen? :S It's not often that they make sprues with parts missing. Here's a reference for the Drone Sprue: http://www.cygnusx1.info/tau/droneparts.asp - drones only have one antenna - which is located between the two carbines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
WOW! a Greenstuffed mold for molding stuff with.... greenstuff! whoda thunk it?!?

I guess my only confusion with that self help project is: how do you get the antenna out of the mold before it cures and is now permanently attached... without bending the not yet cured mold? if its all puddylike, how do you not ruin it?
Have a layer of cling wrap or something between them?
Old 28 Jan 2006, 22:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer
Small note, it's legal to do that with indivdual parts, though it's a grey area, but it is technically illegal to copy a whole model.
I'm quite sure it's legal to do this, provided that the copies are for your own personal use rather than for reselling. If it was illegal to replicate GW's intellectual property in this way, it wouldn't be legal to even write down the point costs of units as you were working out your own army list.

Note: I think you may be obligated to keep the original model from which you made the moulds.

As for using copied parts in a GW-sponsored tournament, where they ask that all models involved be their own products - they're not likely to find out, and you're under no obligation to help them do so. Unless you've signed a contract explicitly stating that you're not using home-moulded parts, you're completely free to lie about it - and even then, such a contract might not be legally enforceable.

Note: the above is my understanding of copyright law in the United States. There are probably a few countries with more restrictive law in this area, and there are certainly many which are more free.
Closed Thread