Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Something stupid that amazed me.
Closed Thread
Old 27 Jan 2006, 15:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Something stupid that amazed me.

So, I've been using Devilfish for my Firewarriors. And I generally bail out of the rear hatch to set up my troops. And I like to use trays for the Fire Warriors, because I'm lazy. But, the 2" deployment zone is pretty small for 12 Fire Warriors. And if I put some guys at the side hatches, they're out of coherancy because the engine is over 2" long. So all my Fire Warriors are packed together at the back, fearfully looking around for incoming frag missiles.

Alright, so I primed up my Pathfinder's Devilfish. And I grabbed the engines, and thought, what does this look like upside down. So I put the engines on upside down. Remember, the room is full of paint fumes. I look at the Devilfish on the table, and I realize that I can now put Firewarriors under the engines.

So now I can easily fit a dozen Firewarriors around the three hatches of my Devilfish, still have coherency, and be spread out a little to limit the effects of frag missiles. It looks a little weird, but I think I like it.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 15:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Something stupid that amazed me.

Unfortunately, placing your warriors underneath the 'fish's engines is actually illegal. Remember, you have to judge whether or not a model is inside of a vehicle from a top-down view. Oh well :P
Old 27 Jan 2006, 15:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Its also kind of dangerous, i mean those turbines are pretty big and certainly wouldn't stand there...

;D
Old 27 Jan 2006, 17:36   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

*Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!*

*FW's getting scorched by devilfish turbines*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 17:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

What's really dangerous is Fire Warriors getting out the side hatch, to get sucked into the turbines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vilest_worm
Unfortunately, placing your warriors underneath the 'fish's engines is actually illegal. Remember, you have to judge whether or not a model is inside of a vehicle from a top-down view. Oh well :P
I can't find any rules on the subject. Where'd you get yours? It makes sense to use the "top down view" to find the base of something like a Space Marine tank. I mean, you can't walk under the treads. But not being able to walk under an engine, or even sillier, an antenna that sticks over the side of a vehicle, or a gun barrel? That seems wrong.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 17:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Or you can rotate the engines so they point up - not only is the thrust now focused on keeping the Devilfish hovering, but it makes more room for you even looking from top down. Also moves the intakes away from the doors.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 17:51   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The rules simply say that disembarking troops have to be within two inches of a hatch. So placing your FWs under the turbines is in fact legal. However since 12 firewarriors can in no way all be within 2" of the rear hatch having some pop out the side hatches is the only option. The coherency doesn't matter for disembarkation rules. As long as they end the movement phase in coherency.

I'm at work and don't have my rule book in front of me but that's how I remember it.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 20:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Some part of your model base must be within 2" of the access point, which means, in essence you have a larger area than it might appear at first. Refer to the diagram on page 61 of the rulebook.

Note also, that it is not a 'pinpoint' measurement, it is measured from the width of the theoretical access point (as in the diagram). The diagram does a pretty good job of showing you the area, even in this example, they show 5 models deployed all from the back ark without even trying to make full use of the area, and only two are placed at the edge of the disembark point.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think I'd have difficulty dismounting even 12 (which is uncommon with the devilfish) Firewarriors from a single access point, either you huddle them close, or you use the edges of your base at the maximum disembark distance, and the rest are an easy fit.
Old 28 Jan 2006, 03:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You can definitely disembark 12 FWs from a devilfish. I do it all the time.

As for being under the engine, you can't. The rules are in the movement rules, I believe, not the disembarking rules. It says something to the effect of you cannot have one model in the same space as another model. In other words, you can't have your fire warrior underneath any part of the devilfish.

'Course as Tastyfish pointed out, the engines do rotate to give you more space
Closed Thread