Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

3-man Crisis Squads and Bodyguards on the Rise?
Closed Thread
Old 27 Jan 2006, 10:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 3-man Crisis Squads and Bodyguards on the Rise?

With the new ML rules working for the whole squad, are 3-man Crisis Battlesuit squads on the rise? A whole squad of Fireknifes would do massive damage if guided by two Markerlights, and a double ML-ed 3-man Helios squad would kill 6 marines in one turn. That is one and a third suits made up in points right there.

On another subject, will Shas'vre Team Leaders get the new special issue wargear, or just Commanders and Bodyguards? I sense that Bodyguards will be used more so people can get a feel for these new wargear options and work tactics involving them. At least I know I will.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 14:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 3-man Crisis Squads and Bodyguards on the Rise?

Well, I've always used 3 man Crisis suit squads, because I love the models and the firepower and can't get enough in my army! Maybe I don't have a good tactical reason for it, but it does work.

In smaller games, definitely, I can see why people use Monats. No more squad coherency is great. But when slots become an issue, well, I pack as much into an Elite slot as I can. I have fielded 12 Crisis suits before, which was pretty scary to my opponent.

Old 27 Jan 2006, 14:44   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I too have almost always fielded my Crisis Suits in 3-man squads. Since I am a big fan of concentration of firepower the supposed benefits of monat suits never appealed to me (except perhaps for special purposes).

The new ML rules will just make my massed Crisis Suit fire that much better, and I can't wait to get my hands on the new Codes! ;D
Old 27 Jan 2006, 14:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I suspect most markerlight support will go to Stealths/Firewarriors. These are the two units that benefit from it the most. Furthermore, 3-man XV8 teams will still suffer from all the problems that they always did... hard to fit behind terrain, difficult to keep alive and susceptible to morale issues.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 27 Jan 2006, 14:50   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

The best Tau player in my country have 15 crisis suits for his 3000 point game. I wonder what will happen to those poor souls when he gets his hands on those new markerlights.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 15:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well I can safely say my Shas'O is not changing (rules wise, he may well get a spiffy new converted model) but that doesnt mean I wont be trying out the new dex. Ill likely add a shas'el to make use of the new gear and he may just try out some bodyguards.

With all the new stuff that seems to be in the new dex for suits I would not be surprised to see a lot of 3 man teams and bodyguards. Why? Well because it would appear that a good few of the new upgrades seem to benefit larger teams. With more options comes more suits and with more suits well we have the same number of slots so I wouldnt be surprised to see more 3 man teams and shas'vre team leaders with target locks. Plus the new stealths are likely going to get some attention so that puts more pressure on the elite slots aswell.

Old 27 Jan 2006, 17:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I know that I always use 3 suit teams. Now, since the places I play allow Forge World models (and I'm going to have 2 XV-84's), I think that my Markerlight requirements will be fulfilled =^.^=
Old 27 Jan 2006, 17:53   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'm planning to have 2 crisis squads(one is already up) for my 1st 1500 points.And man oh man it this gonna be good.....>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 17:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Black Behemoth
With the new ML rules working for the whole squad, are 3-man Crisis Battlesuit squads on the rise? A whole squad of Fireknifes would do massive damage if guided by two Markerlights, and a double ML-ed 3-man Helios squad would kill 6 marines in one turn. That is one and a third suits made up in points right there.
I always use at least one full 3 man crisis helios configuraton. Will be even sweeter now. I man use another 3 man unit.

Bodyguards? Not sure yet about that.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 18:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

It is also possible that the helios may see even more use with the new codex. If the targeting array is available to battlesuits now shas'vre team leaders with hard wired MTs, targeting arrays, plasma rifles and fusion blasters may see a lot more use. If thats the case there will be a general increase in the number of fusion blasters on the field and that may well decrease the dependency on railguns. While it may still be a very wise thing to still keep at least one Railhead or broadside team around with fusion blaster toting stealths and fusion armed piranhas and increased BS battlesuits, I wouldnt be surprised if there was more than enough anti armor in the rest of the army to make up for a lack in railguns.

Closed Thread