Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

So crazy it just might work.
Closed Thread
Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default So crazy it just might work.

I have always been tempted by the idea of an all fire warrior army. That is, an army that has the maximum number of fire warriors in it (currently 72, with a pnt cost between 720 and 840) with support from a small number of broadsides and or crisis suits.

I was just wondering what people thought of the validity of this idea, and whether or not it is more plausible in the new book or less.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: So Crazy it just might work

Not all that viable... known as Static Tau, most armies can outrange you, outmaneuver you, and outclaim objectives-you... it is possible, esspecially in terrain-heavy or small boards, to play with a stationary shooting line, but the mobile element is needed to keep the force viable normally.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Well, in game terms it would be so static that a fast assault army would wipe the floor with it.. ie dark eldar, speed freeks, etc.

Imperial guard might be in trouble.. unless, of course, they have indirect/blast weaponry.

I just wouldn't see it working that well against most armies, as it would be far too weighted towards static troop/tank killing.

In fluff terms a commander would never rely on so many ill-equipped troops to deal with his opponents. He would garner the support of other troops and vehicles to support his fw's.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:39   #4 (permalink)
lonely tau

i think it might work work because
1)'nids are just some meat for so many fire warriors and the broadsides can take out monsterous creatures
2)lots of saves for people who get them
3)that many fire warriors can take down 11 av no sweat while broadsides take down tougher stuff
4)not many units will get into combat with you
and 5) if your crazy about the hobby then you have some work

Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

What about Infiltrators, Wave Serpents with Scorpions or Banshees (24" on turn one in the transport, 13-18" on turn two, footslogging), Deep Strikers... they all have the potential to cut you to ribbons, vevy, very easily.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:45   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

infiltrators just move away, vehicles BROADSIDES and indirect fire cover and faith in the Tau'va

Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:47   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I understand the major issue heer is menuvrability. To to slove that I though it might work to but all teh fire worriors into devilfish (with of course reduced numbers to take into account transport cappacity). I rejected it on a running premice that the more fire worriors the better, but but if manuravbility is such a key issue factor, then then this may prove better.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:53   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

if manueverability is so much of an issue why not just add 2 mounted squads and leave it at that to capture an objective :

Old 27 Jan 2006, 06:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: So crazy it just might work.

It works just fine in Alpha and no terrain.

A million FW, an army of Broadsides, and Ethereal. Some Stealths for mobility and your set.

I play Gamma/Omega on terrain heavy boards...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 27 Jan 2006, 14:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: So crazy it just might work.

I heard of some girl from Edmonton who came down to Red Deer to play in a tournament with a similar army. She got to the last round, where an Imperial Guard player smashed her lines with ordinance in the first turn.

I think the idea has merit. 72 Fire Warriors makes for a very tough army. But good assaulters can hack down squad after squad if they can advance out of LOS. It's just inflexible. You're pinning all hopes of victory on maintaining your static position, with no option for falling back, fleeing, or redeploying. You'd have to be picky about the armies you are fighting.
Closed Thread