Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Skyray design is horrible?
Closed Thread
Old 26 Jan 2006, 19:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default The Skyray design is horrible?

Anyone else think the skyray's design is just dumb? Why create a missile rack when you can put 4 on any vehicle? Obviously those hard points are avaliable. Put another two on the top of the vessel. You don't need a turret targeter like the hammerhead so put the markerlights in the nose. Bam better design PLUS you have transport capacity. WTF MATE?!

P.S. Even in the current skyray design there is NO reason why it couldn't transport units.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 20:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: The skyray design is horrible?

Quote:
Why create a missile rack when you can put 4 on any vehicle?
If you paid attention to what we know about the new Codex, you'd know that the number of seekers on other vehicles is dropping to 2.

Quote:
Put another two on the top of the vessel. You don't need a turret targeter like the hammerhead so put the markerlights in the nose. Bam better design PLUS you have transport capacity.
Brilliant, a chin mounted targettor with very limited vertical directability to target hostile aircraft. The turret mounted Markerlights provide a far superior field of fire.

Quote:
P.S. Even in the current skyray design there is NO reason why it couldn't transport units.
Possibly the sheer volume of targetting kit takes up the internal passanger space - it is an Anti-Aircraft mount after all, and those take alot of hardware.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 20:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Aarhus

You're forgetting Battlefield roll my friend.

Space Marines have Razorbacks that have a heavy weapon over their Rhino for lesser Transport capability.

Don't forget that Space marines are a needlepoint strike force that drops in, slaughters what they can and get out of there.

They're also used in the most dire circumstances.

Tau on the other hand do not have the luxury of having Super-Tau saviours that can drop in if there's too much chaos in an area.

Thusly, we have transports (which have incredible weapons in comparison to -most- other transports) to get our guys in place.

We have our gunships which are meant to be just barely in Line of Sight, even if it's just on the horizon.
These Air Caste pilots put their lives at risk the most since they're going to be the ones putting their lives at risk the most, in case there's a pesky lascannon team that's hiding in the woods that went unchecked, or unseen.

The Skyray on the other hand is more akin to a Basilisk or Whirlwind.

It stays at the far back of the battlefield, Fire Warriors on the ground lighting for the vehicle and it fires salvoes of missiles.

If they run out, then chances are that their job is done, since it only takes a few seeker strikes to take out the best of the vehicles.

Sure, other vehicles have the option of taking the Seekers as well, but they're already dedicated to other things, and are likely going to be in the line of fire, and you may lose your missiles before they get a chance to be fired off.

It's all about Battlefield Roles.

We're not space marines, so why homogenize ourselves to be like them?

Cheers,
Lawrence.

All that I write is wrong.
All that is left is right.
- Liber Chaotica, Book of Tzeentch

Vengeance and goo flow through my veins.
I shall paint this town a sanguine shade of doom!
- Battlecry generator
Old 26 Jan 2006, 21:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Check the "GW Preview Codex" forum for TonkaTruckDrivers thoughts of the Skyray on page 2. Personally, I think putting seekers on other vehicles is the way to go, saving a Heavy Support slot, but TonkaTruckDriver has found use for it.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 21:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i hardly think that all the targtting hardwire will take up the same space as 10 firewarriors. even using targetting systems now a days you'd be able to make that into a transport, taking into acount tau miniaturazation is far more advanced i think the sky ray could easily carry troops. if you ask me sky rays should ahve AA mounted twinlinked ion cannons. more usufull and man would those things look amazing.

Old 26 Jan 2006, 21:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Skyrays don't move, so they'd be useless transports. I think the design at least looks neat, not as cool as the Piranah though...

Tau 9/3/0 Space Wolves 50/28/15

RAAAAAARGH!
what now?
raaaaaargh.
oh.

I'll beat you down with my ukos!
whats ukos mean?
never mind
I can chew through metal bars, spit acid, carry in one hand weapons that normal men have to mount on tanks, I'm then ft. tall, can eat rocks, and your telling my I don't get lunch break?!?!?! I bet you do. mmmmhmmmm, riiiiight.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:43   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: The Skyray design is horrible?

is the rumored 6 missle only thing really true id like to know because then the markerlight might still be wotrth it

Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

What do you mean? If you mean "does it have only the 6 missiles, and no reload" then the answer is yes.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:46   #9 (permalink)
lonely tau

thanks
skyray is bad dont tke it :P

Old 27 Jan 2006, 02:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Matter of oppinion. We'll have to see how things play out, but untill I know otherwise I'll contend that it will be the Tau's Whirlwind... a thinking man's tank, rather than a point-shoot-and-repeat-ad-nausiem affair like the Hammerhead.
Closed Thread