Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bonding
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to pixeled_killer
Default Bonding

Hey I jsut joined and have slowly started my tau army, I have done quite a few battles, I mostly got raped becasue im apparently a bad dice roller(how is that possible).

Anyways quik questio
Is bonding teams worth the 10pts?

Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:18   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to shas_o_bbq_sauce Send a message via Yahoo to shas_o_bbq_sauce
Default Re: Bonding

First of all, welcome comrade to the Tau'va, with the ethereal's guidance you shall become the shas'o you are destined to be.

Anyway, to answer your question. Yes, most definately. The meager ten points you spent to bond your team together can come back and help. For example, you're Fw's have fled under the hail of fire. but their Comrady brings them to bear the rifles to the enemy again.

This can provide a nice little bundle of fire power than the enemy can forget about because they're only half-strength. and it also stops your opponent from getting full victory points (unless they get shot up afterwards :-\ ))

Wins Loses Draws
1 2 0
Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasShi

I never bond my squads, I just take an Ethereal. It has the same effect, and if you have more than 5 bondable squads, then it's less expensive. Also it's a really nice looking figure
Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you have an Ethereal, don't bond. Otherwise it's fairly cool. I don't myself because the only time my FW's fall back they make it off the board in their initial fall back move. If you are a mech player, by all means.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasShi

Ah but don't forget, your battlesuits can be bonded aswell. Re-rolling to keep your suits on the board is worth the 10pts. Or the 50pts for an Ethereal, as said before.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 23:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The size of the squad makes the difference.. it all comes down to how big a bonded squad will be when it rallys, and if it will be big enough to make any difference?

by example, a bonded 6 man team would only benefit from bonding and rally if theyre at 2 models... would you really expect 2 firewarriors to do a lot? would that be worth 10 points?

the other thing to think about is objectives and scoring unit considerations: IF a squad is below half strength, where bonding comes into effect, it cant hold objectives, its no longer a scoring unit, and it gives your opponent as many VPs as if they were all killed off anyways... so really, under this light, all bonding will really give you is a few extra guns firing a bit longer, but with absolutely no other benefit towards the army or the battle.

WOW! I really sound like a "not worth it" kinda guy.... and I guess after typing all this out.. I am. But that doesnt say I dont bond my Broadside teams, or Crisis teams.... or even Stealth Teams... OR.. heh.. Markerlight holding pathfinders..... :
Old 25 Jan 2006, 23:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Bonding is only useful on a large crisis team, pathfinders, or MAYBE stealth teams.

Consider the maximum number of units you can possibly save, the likelihood that you will be fleeing, with less than half, AND have the ability to rally that squad to cause any effects... it's very low overall, generally not worth 10 points except on expensive units.

Then again, the new codex is shaking everything up.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 00:27   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
The size of the squad makes the difference.. it all comes down to how big a bonded squad will be when it rallys, and if it will be big enough to make any difference?

by example, a bonded 6 man team would only benefit from bonding and rally if theyre at 2 models... would you really expect 2 firewarriors to do a lot? would that be worth 10 points?

the other thing to think about is objectives and scoring unit considerations: IF a squad is below half strength, where bonding comes into effect, it cant hold objectives, its no longer a scoring unit, and it gives your opponent as many VPs as if they were all killed off anyways... so really, under this light, all bonding will really give you is a few extra guns firing a bit longer, but with absolutely no other benefit towards the army or the battle.

WOW! I really sound like a "not worth it" kinda guy.... and I guess after typing all this out.. I am. But that doesnt say I dont bond my Broadside teams, or Crisis teams.... or even Stealth Teams... OR.. heh.. Markerlight holding pathfinders..... :
if you are playing VP then they only get half points(35 in your example ) no matter if the squad has 2 people or 1

Old 26 Jan 2006, 01:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Bonding is a must in my oppion , it has kept my teams in the game so many times it's not worth counting .

I do not use Ethereals at all , having a Aun in battle is like having a FDR go with the troops on the D-day landings . The reality is they would be more concerned about keeping Aun alive and out of enemy hands than the mission.

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Old 26 Jan 2006, 02:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I always bond my Firewarriors as it makes them much more stubborn and is a good insurance policy. As with a mech force I dont have as many as say a hybrid or static army and I need to make the ones I have count. Also I bond 6 man stealth teams and though I dont use them Id probably bond 3 man crisis teams aswell.

Bonding really helps with VP denial if your like me and arent going to hide your troops in a devilfish. Even if you have 1 man left out of a full 12 man team the enemy only gets half points. Thats 60 points that one little firewarrior is protecting. Or 100 points with a stealth team or who knows how many with a crisis suite. You never know when those little bits of points may make the difference between a loss and a tie or a tie and a win.

Closed Thread