Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Compare and Contrast: Tau vs. Humans
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jan 2006, 00:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Comm_Nagrom
Default Compare and Contrast: Tau vs. Humans

Other then the obvious similarities (humanoids, bone structure, and evolution) and differences (color, social system, and technology). How differant and simillar are the Tau from normal Humans?

I by far can only find one: Tau have a differant military orginization and tactics.

If anyone can think of other ones please post them here (I plan to organize them and put them into a Venn diagram like structure and post them back here for people who don't already know!).
Old 25 Jan 2006, 01:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Compair and Contrast: Tau VS. Humans

Tau are bound by a selfless society, meaning that they are generally far less selfish. They do not exploit their system; they're as happy being a Fio'la as a Shas'o.

The Tau are born into castes based on genetics. If your mother has a weak bone structure and a love for zero-g, then you're an Air caste. There's nothing for it, they're basically different races. Humans sure don't have anything like that.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 01:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Well, there are the physical differences; tau have no noses, just nasal slits. They have hoofs instead of feet. Their lifespans are shorter, their vision not as good, physically they tend to be weaker than humans, and they lack psychic abilities that humans can have.

In terms of organization, the tau socially tend to have more freedoms than the imperium, although that really doesn't say much at all considering. Their technology can be more or less advanced depending on the subject. In warp travel, tau lag far behind. Tau weaponry can be more or less devastating than that of the imperium's depending. Tau technology tends to be more sophisticated, while the imperiums more straightforward.

eg;

tau; we can fire salvoes of missiles that can track targets from beyond the horizon and strike with pinpoint accuracy. What can you do?

Imperial; lob hundreds of earthshaker rounds into their posistion and flatten everything within 1 mile.

tau; oh.

Tau technology and buildings tend to be aesthetic and nice to look at. The imperium builds what works, and if it looks ugly nobody tends to care, as long as it purges the alien, heretic, and mutant.

Tau as a race are very small numerically; man and the imperium stretch across the galaxy.

That's all I can come up with for now... there are probably more so I'll leave that to people who can come up with them.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 02:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Tau will let you join them, if you look different, the Emperium will just kill you. and the Tau like tech.

Tau 9/3/0 Space Wolves 50/28/15

RAAAAAARGH!
what now?
raaaaaargh.
oh.

I'll beat you down with my ukos!
whats ukos mean?
never mind
I can chew through metal bars, spit acid, carry in one hand weapons that normal men have to mount on tanks, I'm then ft. tall, can eat rocks, and your telling my I don't get lunch break?!?!?! I bet you do. mmmmhmmmm, riiiiight.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 02:04   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comm_Nagrom
Other then the obvious similarities (humanoids, bone structure, and evolution) and differences (color, social system, and technology). How differant and simillar are the Tau from normal Humans?
Well, taking those out really doesn't give us much else to talk about does it?
Old 25 Jan 2006, 02:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah umm spirit, their cultures and their way of life are very different form ours. As in that they will accpet those who aren't the same species. Much like the Star Wars universe that is what the Tau are. They are very close to them in that they are racially accepting and that both their weapons ustilize plasma. Star Wars uses super heated gasses. Tau use silicon that is broken into plasma.

Old 25 Jan 2006, 08:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
Well, there are the physical differences; tau have no noses, just nasal slits. They have hoofs instead of feet. Their lifespans are shorter, their vision not as good, physically they tend to be weaker than humans,

tau olifactory (smell) organs are inside their mouths. the thing on their head is not a nasal slit. tau vision is arguably better than ours. OK, they're longsighted, but they can see in UV and IR spectra.

Tau of the fire and earth caste are very sturdy, and you'll find plenty of them as physically strong as humans.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 25 Jan 2006, 08:50   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Compare and Contrast: Tau vs. Humans

Unlike humanity, tau show very little presence in the warp
Old 25 Jan 2006, 15:48   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayruun
[...]They do not exploit their system; they're as happy being a Fio'la as a Shas'o.
[...]
[I'm taking "exploiting the system" means a behaviour thats morally or legally unjust - if thats not the case just ignore my post (i'm a not a native english speaker)]

That's pure speculation. There are many novels and other fluffpieces showing "heretical", criminal etc. behaviour of imperial citizen in day to day life but there's next to none (apart from the (hotly debated) novel "Fire Warrior") piece of fluff showing the daily (civilian) workings of the Tau Empire. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 15:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Compare and Contrast: Tau vs. Humans

tau don't hug each other,
lack of individual thought

Praise be to the Omnissiah.url=http://www.pickle-green.com/egraphics/main.php?id=eggs][/url]
Closed Thread