Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cheap terrain deployment?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Jan 2006, 22:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Cheap terrain deployment?

Would covering all your enemies views with two large textbooks long ways up be cheap? So they couldn't shoot you, but you could still teleport into their ranks?
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 22:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke
Default Re: cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
Would covering all your enemies views with two large textbooks long ways up be cheap? So they couldn't shoot you, but you could still teleport into their ranks?
... Not really sure what your sayin perhaps you could use a visual. If it's blocking your line of sight yet they are able to teleport in I suppose, not really sure what you mean though.
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
Old 23 Jan 2006, 22:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to smilingyello Send a message via MSN to smilingyello Send a message via Yahoo to smilingyello

so long as both parties agree with it i dont see why not, plus it might be just as bad for you, i have see some Wraiths do some serious damage to those behind IMPASSIBLE terrain, and some warp spiders can do some damage aswell!
Old 23 Jan 2006, 22:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

No! It wasn't me! I was tau, der, and he was necrons. He not only out pointed me, but had two huge textbooks in front of my firewarriors view, so I couldn't shoot. The thing could only last an hour, and at the end, do to his cheap act, supposedly won cause he killed my kroot.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 23:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Terrain in play must be agreed upon. If some of the terrain he's using is unfair, then you can make him remove it from the terrain pool. Think of it this way: what if you had four large forests on the board, and three units of kroot? Would that be fair to him? Agreeing upon terrain is something that I don't see often, as nobody who plays me is cheap enough to be really cheap with it.

Last point, all of the possible terrain for a game must be visible when placing terrain. This is when you challenge the composition. Otherwise, just sacrifice one of your picks to place the book where it can't do any harm.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 23:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
No! It wasn't me! I was tau, der, and he was necrons. He not only out pointed me, but had two huge textbooks in front of my firewarriors view, so I couldn't shoot. The thing could only last an hour, and at the end, do to his cheap act, supposedly won cause he killed my kroot.
I think the problem here is that you aren't being precise on your subject matter. Did your 'terrain' (in the form of textbooks) block your line of sight?

I'm not sure what 'out pointed' means and I'm not sure how killing your Kroot could result in a victory (unless that was the only casualty in game).

If you were playing Kill Team, then who knows?

I would suggest you try more complete statements in describing your situation, rather than discussing the issue as if each of us were present. For example, "I was playing Killteam with Kroot against Necrons in a game where my opponent placed 2 large textbooks in the middle of the table, which blocked my LOS, resulting in a loss for me." Then you follow with your inquiry.

If instead, you are looking for the forum posters to side with you on your loss against an opponent, well, you might consider refraining from posts like this, unless you are relaying a battle report or intending genuine, meaningful, discussion out of your post. As it stands, there is very little in this post with which to work. I'm not a mod, so this is just advice...
Old 23 Jan 2006, 23:14   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Cheap terrain deployment?

So let me get this straight. Your friend completely blocked off LOS to his troops by placing impassable terrain in front of his deployment zone, and then turtled there for the rest of the game?

This tells me several things. First, you need to play with real terrain. Secondly, you need to set it up before choosing deployment zones, as the rulebooks suggests. Lastly, you should start playing with actual missions instead of straight victory points. That will sort out this kind of exploitive tactic. Using terrain to your advantage is one thing. Setting it up to unbalance the game is something else entirely.

You also need to start playing point-balanced games, especially against Necrons.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 23:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

first, this was only my second time using non-real terrain. Second, we werent playing victory points, we were playing cleanse, and do to the fact that the game had to end, he pulled victory points on me. Now, for you leet monkey. What I was trying to say was... I had been infiltrating with my kroot, I got first move and charged his nightbringer, eventually causing three wounds with them, anyway... His necron lord, and warriors were behind the big books, out of sight from my tau, but still in range of my kroot. He killed all of my kroot, and I could not attack with anything else but them, as he blocked me out with those infernal books. We had an hour to play, and by the time we had setup, forty minutes. He killed all my kroot with his warriors, and such, the game ended with him teleporting to my firewarriors, and killing several of them, due to some VERY horrible rolls. Rolled like 10 ones, with 12 dice! So he pulled victory points out on me, even though we were playing cleanse. So, isn't it cheap to block off someones whole army with infernal books, kill their weaklings, then teleport into CC and end the game? He volunteered to do a rematch when we both had more time, but still it was cheap, right?
Old 23 Jan 2006, 23:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

you should not allow it if you think the terrain is hindering you more then him, so it's not cheesy. also , why did you charge the night bringer with kroot?!? I advise yuseing mech to in the futer so that you can manuever around things like, oh... say... text book hills!

Tau 9/3/0 Space Wolves 50/28/15

RAAAAAARGH!
what now?
raaaaaargh.
oh.

I'll beat you down with my ukos!
whats ukos mean?
never mind
I can chew through metal bars, spit acid, carry in one hand weapons that normal men have to mount on tanks, I'm then ft. tall, can eat rocks, and your telling my I don't get lunch break?!?!?! I bet you do. mmmmhmmmm, riiiiight.
Old 24 Jan 2006, 03:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Yea... this was a "textbook" M3ch Rool35 situation...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread