Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight player needs new tactics
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jan 2006, 03:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Farsight player needs new tactics

I'm a MechTau Farsight player, but I haven't won a game yet. I've got units of pretty much everything (assuming Farsight can field it), but I can't seem to get the tactics right.

I usually have my hammerhead pelt any dangerous armour from behind a line of devilfish. The devilfish contail 8 FW with rifles and 2 with carbines. Generally shas'ui and bonded. They're there to inflict FoF on my opponents. I just added a unit of Pathfinders to snipe and mark enemies. I tend to drop them off further back than my FWs. I have a group of suits (Farsight, Shas'vre, Shas'vre with 2 shas'ui) which are preceeded by Stealths. All of my suits Orkfight.

The problem I have is that I can't seem to do any damage that isn't superficial. I also tend to lose one of my three or four DFs early on. I realize that I need to work on advancing my suits so that they take less fire. I need to prioritize targets better as well.

I've done fairly well against most Tyranids. I can often outfight them in close, thanks to orkfighting, and I deal plenty of damage to synapse creatures. I've gotten a draw by focusing on Synapse creatures.

So, if anyone could help me out, it would be appreciated.

And, as I'm certain you'll ask, my main opponents are Tyranids, Witch Hunters, and Space Marines.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 04:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Farsight player needs new tactics

as I understand Mech, the transports really arent about FoF-ing, theyre about keeping the firewarriors from getting shot up.

you keep everyone loaded up, moving constantly, giving the enemy only decoy launchered glancing only skimmer armor 12 targets to shoot at. If one transport bites the dust, then the surviving FWs from that transport are now bait. they hole up in the devilfish wreckage (you disembarked the drones in the wreck as well as the FWs, right?) and take pot shots.

the other devilfishes act like they arent in ambush mode, and as the enemy force runs in to finally beat up something, they inevitably overextend a unit. that units toast. the other 2-3 devilfish swoop in, THEN FoF that target, obliterating it, then.. the important part, load back up and resume the decoy launchered fast moving skimmer av12 madness again.

and repeat. Thats the winning way, protect yours, look for the opportunity to annihilate safely one of theirs... protect yours some more. Those skimmers can always outrun and evade the enemy, as can the JSJ suits.

OK, if any of the above was something new or enlightening, then.. that should be what you need to work on to win more.. hope I helped!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 06:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

right thought i would put forward some info i found out about the new codex about farsight enclave

farsight in next codex can have up to 7 body guards
there is free bonding thought out as well

[hr]

right back on to helping in this edition

i have all ways found ork fighter on any thing under the rank of shas'vre is a waste of time. drop it from the stealths i dont think you are finding it useful.

also there is a time not to load up the fire warriors and sit back and shoot even if they have transports some times it is good too set them up as firing

i think you could do with another shas'o commander or body guards or both.

have you tryed using a broadside a single broad side with shas'vre, ork fighter, bonded, sheild drones, will survie quite well and will hold long enought for a counter assualt by gun drones or suits.

is there a full list i can see?
Old 21 Jan 2006, 15:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My last list looked like this. I didn't put the Pathfinders in it yet.

Farsight – 170

Crisis Team – 227
Shas’vre – Flamer, Plasma, Shield, HW Multi, (OF, Bond)
Shas’ui – Flamer, Plasma, Multi
Shas’ui – TL Fusion, Targ

Shas’vre – 97
Flamer, Plasma, Shield, HW Multi, OF

Hammerhead – 165
Rail, Bursts, Targ, Multi

Stealth Team – 195
Shas’vre, OF, Bonded

10 Bonded FireWarriors in Devilfish – 215
Shas’ui, 2x Carbines, (Targeting Array, Multi-tracker)

Old 21 Jan 2006, 18:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Drop a FW squad for an ork fighting 'O. Very good in close combat, give him a flamer, M pod, BC and HW MT. As you approach the enemy, the missiles will inflict casualties and weaken the squad. Once you get within range, open up with the flamer & BC & charge.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 18:36   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

take farsight and an 'o w/ orkfight and show them what the meaning of pain is especially effective against marines if farsight charges first then you put mr 'o behind him

Old 22 Jan 2006, 00:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks. I've never thought of a) putting three weapons on a suit b) not giving an 'o a shield. I'll give it a try.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 03:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Here's an article I wrote awhile back on using Farsight in a Mech Tau army.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 22 Jan 2006, 13:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks. Seems there's a lot I haven't thought of trying... creativity is the path to success...
Closed Thread