Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Re: Drones at 4th ed. Rules
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jan 2006, 03:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Drones at 4th ed. Rules

I've just started building a Tau army and have been doing some rading on the Tau Codex and 4th Ed.

This topic was probably what bothered me the most. And quite glad to have this cleared. Not exactly the verdict I wanted but clearing it up was more important.

Just a follow-up query regarding the rules on mixed armor.
I'd like to know if Armor Saves & Inv Saves are indistinguishable when counting which is the majority save.

For example:
1 Broadside Unit consisting of:

3 Broadsides 2+Sv
2 Shld Drones 4+InvSv
2 Gun Drones 4+ArmSv

Are all 4 drones treated as the majority so they take the saves first?
Or do the Broadsides have to take the saves first?

Old 21 Jan 2006, 03:18   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Welcome to the forums!

Thread necromancy in generally discouraged, so I exorcised the rest of this topic back to the abyss (last May) that spawned it. I am glad it was useful, however. Make sure you have a look through the FAQ in the stickied topics.

Invulnerable saves are not considered when dealing with the mixed armor rules. Basically, you use regular armor to determine whether the drones or Broadsides take the hits, even if the weapon has high enough AP to ignore their armor. Once you determine which models are taking the hits, they can take invulnerable saves if they have them.

In the case you mentioned, we have 4 models with 4+ saves and 3 models with 2+ saves. Casualties must come from the 4+ models first. Since they have the same save, you can either remove a gun drone or try to make the invulnerable save on one of the shield drones.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 13:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 17:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I really [glow=red,2,300]hate[/glow] > that mixed armor rule. I had 3 broadsides and a shield and gun drone. They wanted my to use my armor save to roll against a lascannon. Then why did I bring the drones. They are 2 extra wounds and an inv.save with the shield drone.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 19:00   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

do Tau have the mixed armour rule and if they do why someone getting hit with a lascannon in a squad that has a sheild drone just take it on him that ignores the rule that drones get hit first or something like that

Old 21 Jan 2006, 20:20   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

The way I understand it, there are two interpretations. Either you use profile armour saves, in which case the drone can't even be hit until the Broadsides have, or you use their effective armour save against whatever weapon is being fired. Since no models in the unit would have an armour save against an AP-2 weapon, they are all equal and you can allocate the hit wherever you want to.

The second interpretation is support by the phrase "when the player makes his Armour Saves" in the rule description on page 76. Since you aren't making any armour saves, I hope that clears it up. Against an incoming Lascannon shot, the drones should still be able to get hit first.

For reference, this problem is rumoured to have been fixed by the new update. The rumour is that shield drones at least will end up acting more as they did in 3rd edition.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 01:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

the actual rumour is that sheidl drones will gain close protection, which means they will gain the armour save of there controller

so 2+/4++ broad side sheild drones heheheh....
Old 22 Jan 2006, 16:17   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

that will be awesome beyiond belief

Closed Thread