Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kill Team
Closed Thread
Old 20 Jan 2006, 22:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Kill Team

Okay, my freind has suddenly gotten kill team addicted like a lab mouse on crack and is demanding that i play a game. However, i realize that chances are very very high that i will be forced in to playing one...against necrons. Now i have heard that tau are terrible in kill team games, due to the fact that they have no heavy weapons and because of this the only legal troops in our codex are way under powered without their trusty support, such as battle suits and rail/ionheads. How would i go about defeating my opponent?
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 21 Jan 2006, 00:08   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Kill Team

I'm new here, but, according to the Games Workshop (tm) website, pathfinders can take a heavy weapon called the rail rifle. Also note - burst cannon-armed stealth suits are kill-team legal (as I recall). Burst cannons might not be so effective against necrons though.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. The official website offered the rules for free, so I'll put them here. If I'm in error, somebody please correct me:

Rail Rifle: [ Stats edited out ]

I'll modify again when I find the rules to clarify - and I'll give a points value (unless what I'm doing is not allowed - again, please tell me!)

Anyway, good luck and happy hunting!

[size=8pt]Regardless of whether or not the rules can be freely obtained, don't post them here, as mentioned in our forum rules. Games Workshop's IP/copyright policy covers content on their website too. It would be preferable if you could just link to the page with the rules on them rather than posting them, though they are already listed in our FAQs etc here. - mace[/size]

Modification - Sorry mace, I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Thought for the Day: A Small Mind is a Tidy Mind
Old 21 Jan 2006, 00:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Use a broadside-only Kill Team.

lol, I know, I know, just joking around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 02:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah thanks i thought that was the option. However i hadnt heard about the stealth teams. That will be good against the DE player i play with often.
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 21 Jan 2006, 07:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

My advice would be to take a n=big mob of kroot with a shaper and -get ready- at least two krootox. Yes, krootox. They are actually very good in kill team, as their gun is not heavy and they do rock in H2H.

My kill team looks like this:

17 kroot, shaper & 4 krootox. Breaks only one law. Provides enough long range firepower to kill about one brute squad per turn. PWN!

But as far a defending is concerned... By some guardsmen :-\
Old 21 Jan 2006, 07:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

As far as I remember Stealth Teams, Patherfinder, FW and Kroot are all legal, and you can break one of teh rules to mix and match.

I am working on own kill team concept based off Pathfinders with a couple of Kroot added in as 'native' trackers.

I've not played Kill Team, but I understand that Necrons are very valnerable to the phase out rule!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 15:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

In 2nd ed, the Tau Sniper drones might be worth taking. They would be deadly and accurate (thanks to their networked markerlight).

In the current edition, I suggest stealth teams. They are fine in cc, but have plenty of firepower as well. They're difficult to see (a big bonus in kill team), and have good saves.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 15:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ouch! kill team Tau vs Necrons! either way youre screwed: Attacking you have virtually zero options beying basic troops (but I still bite the bullet, break the immutable law, and take 5 Stealth Suits, and JSJ/15 S5 dice them to death!!!), or as the Brute squad, youre brutes are mere Drones (although the I4 makes them better spotters than most), with a fearsome ethereal as the boss! oooohhhhh!

one thing that may be a shining beacon of hope: look up Chapter Approved for Kill Team Nemesis Bosses.... basically, it allows you to build a nasty creature ( Tau nemesis could be a drone controlled Crisis suit.... with Twin linked fusion blasters.... or something...), that appears only at the 'end of the kill team game "level", much like Big bosses in Doom or most other shooter video games at the end of their levels.

that should make things a bit more fun for ya!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 15:52   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Stealth suits are a good way to go I think - however, note that krootox are multi-wound! So, if you do use krootox, get your opponent's permission first, because 'no multi-wound models' is not a mutable law.

Happy Hunting!

Thought for the Day: A Small Mind is a Tidy Mind
Old 21 Jan 2006, 17:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

After playing a couple Kill Team games with a friend we realised that the system doesnt really work. The fact allone that the defender can set up the terrain and there by setting up nothing but a right of inpassable terrain thereby forcing you to move into his detection zone makes the game a waste of time.
Closed Thread