Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Who would want Tau technology the most?
Closed Thread
Old 18 Jan 2006, 03:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Who would want Tau technology the most?

This questionaire arrises from Toastmaster's looking into the dark eldar armies and my own thinking : if they could jsj, imagine how deadly they'd become.

So I got to wondering, of all the 40k armies, who would make the most use of the tau's technology (this excludes, due to fluff as well as common sense, the Tyrannid, the necron(who would just alter it into necron stuff) the Space Marines, and probably most other loyal Imperium armies except the Grey Knights/ DaemonHunters, who have no qualms about using eldar technology).

Who do you think would make the most use of the Tau technology?
Old 18 Jan 2006, 03:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Who would want Tau technology the most?

Um..... Kroot. Orks like their own stuff betta', Eldar turn up their noses at it, as would Grey Knights. Maybe the Offico Assasinorium might look at it, but I doubt it very much.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 18 Jan 2006, 03:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Sephiroth

The other lesser races.
"My sorrow and anger precede me with regard to the stubborn and selfish refusal of the humans’ Emperor to permit his people acceding to the One Path, forcing us to embrace the course of conflict. The Fire Caste will do what is asked of them, and demonstrate to the Imperium of Man that piety is no substitute for wisdom."
- His Exalted Majesty, The Ethereal 'Unforeseen Truth'
Old 18 Jan 2006, 04:03   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Humanity could make good use of the Pulse Rifle technology, but the weapons themselves would need an extensive redesign to be comfortable for humans to use (too many fingers). Eldar and Dark Eldar are too arrogant to use it even when it is more effective, Orks couldn't really use the existing weapons on account of having gigantic hands, and they probably wouldn't redesign the casing for their own use. Necron weapons are more technologically advanced but slightly less effective in terms of raw stopping power, and Necrons are not given to adaptation.

So humanity could benefit the most from incorporating Tau designs, although it is very unlikely given the level of technoheresy it would represent. I imagine the spread of Tau armaments will just continue through smugglers and rogue traders, but little re-engineering will occur.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 05:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ketter

Adapting pulse tech so that it can be integrated into a different army will require significant changes to established systems.
  • You'd have to redesign the weapon to be comfortable for your troops.
  • You'd have to change your production facilities to produce the new weapon and its ammo.
  • You'd have to train your troops to use the new weapon to greatest effect, since no two basic guns in 40K are really the same (save bolters of course).
  • You'd probably have to do some more stuff I'm currently unaware of.

This being said it would require a great investment to convert to pulse tech. Add to that the fact that several armies do not rely on basic firepower for success, it really isn't worth it to effect the transition. I do think that Tzeentch will be very interested, since Rubric Marines can only use basic guns, and they always count as stationary when moving.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 05:21   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketter
  • You'd have to change your production facilities to produce the new weapon and its ammo.
This one is really the kicker. The Imperium has very little production capability outside the Standard Template Construct system, as they have come to rely on it exclusively over the long millenia. It will be very difficult for them to mass-produce anything complicated that they can't find an STC template for, and humanity lost the ability to make the templates themselves well before the Great Crusade. So if they wanted to make use of Tau technology, they would have to trade for it (unlikely in large lots) or capture a Tau factory and enslave enough Earth Caste to run it (probably more likely). Even if they understood the technology, they have no way to mass-produce it on the Forge Worlds.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 05:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

so what would happen if say, the templates got lost?

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
Old 18 Jan 2006, 07:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to chrissi3

how could the templates get lost i mean seriously,do you think the imperium would let that happen and plus theyd have extra copies scattered across the universe,but if they did the imperium would be screwed
Old 18 Jan 2006, 07:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8

I dont think the Imperium would be able to replicate pulse rifles as they are completely Tau Tech. And even if they did get their hands on templates (wich I highly doubt the Tau would forfeit) it would probably be written in Tau and so they would have no way of reading/interpreting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 18 Jan 2006, 08:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I dare say the Imperium would be more than capable of translating Tau. If the servitors or Ordus Diologus can't do it, get a Tau prisoner who can speak english and get him to do it. Do Tau use templates? They actually know what they are doing don't they?

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Closed Thread