Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth Suit Camo?
Closed Thread
Old 18 Jan 2006, 01:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Stealth Suit Camo?

This may be moved to painting but I'll post it here.

I'm thinking of making camoflauged stealth suit models, similar to the camoflauged lictors on the UK GW site under the Tyranids section. But I've got no idea how to do it on a small base, and I'm not sure what terrain to camoflauge them in.

Can anyone help me? Also, if you have already done this please post pics of the suits in question. Note: I'm asking for stealth suits camoflauging in the terrain on their bases, not on a particular board.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 18 Jan 2006, 01:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Stealth Suit Camo?

I was goin to do exactly the same thing !!

it seemed stupid to me to have stealth teams that have their stealth turned off

however if we are goin to do it like the lictors we will need to have a large piece of terrain on the base other wise they would have nothing to blend in with but the base

perhaps you could add a tree or some sought of alien construct to the bases in order to give u a guide

"His name doesn't make any sense! How can you be a commander, Aun AND volenteer at the same time!?!"

translated parts of suspicous conversation about the Mal'caor'la 8.05.10990
Old 18 Jan 2006, 02:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

That sounds cool, but its more of a diorama project. If you used it in a normal game, it could be confusing :-\
Old 18 Jan 2006, 04:06   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think this one is fine to stay in the main forum. The question is, do you paint a traditional camo scheme or do you go for the stealth field optical effect? I seem to recall a player who had their stealthsuits recast in clear resin.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 05:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Camo scheme. I don't really like the look of clear resin.

Ideally it would go abit deeper than colour however. I want to try to actually make the Stealth Suit look like part of it's environment.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 18 Jan 2006, 05:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Some common things:

- Paint them like the rest of the army

- Paint them like the rest of the army, then add some chainmail for a cloaking effect

- Just paint them in dark tones

- Clear resin! I want those Stealths!

What may blend into a bunker may not a forest...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 18 Jan 2006, 05:26   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin
Camo scheme. I don't really like the look of clear resin.

Ideally it would go abit deeper than colour however. I want to try to actually make the Stealth Suit look like part of it's environment.
So you want it to look like the Stealthsuit's coloring is actively changing to blend in (like a chameleon)? That sounds a lot more interesting than a standard diffraction pattern.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 05:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Stealthsuits are usually painted in a dark scheme to compliment their bases, and so that they don't stand out..

With my old paint scheme - all my bases were dark angels green - so I painted my stealthsuits DA green with black burst cannons, saying that they just blended in etc. That was quick an easy - if not too quick and easy.. though the paint got worn and came off at the corners etc, which made the exposed metal look really out of place.

And so my new paint scheme - http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=16821.0 - a 'Blue Metal' scheme - I was hoping to achieve a kind of 'shimmering' effect on the surface of the army.. as though they had some sort of field around them. So far though, the effect is that they're different shades of blue when viewed from different angles, which is suffice for now.

The same effect could probably be done well and replicated with other inks..
Old 18 Jan 2006, 06:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

So you want it to look like the Stealthsuit's coloring is actively changing to blend in (like a chameleon)? That sounds a lot more interesting than a standard diffraction pattern.

Can anyone tell me how though? The inks thing Mace mentioned looks really cool but wasn't really what I was after.

Old 18 Jan 2006, 07:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

:-X chainmail stealths!? :-X Yuk

"His name doesn't make any sense! How can you be a commander, Aun AND volenteer at the same time!?!"

translated parts of suspicous conversation about the Mal'caor'la 8.05.10990
Closed Thread