Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth suits and indirect fire
Closed Thread
Old 17 Jan 2006, 22:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Stealth suits and indirect fire

I've poked around a little bit, and can't find the answer to this.

Does the stealth field have any effect on indirect fire? It should, IMO, but what?
Old 17 Jan 2006, 22:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Stealth suits and indirect fire

I believe it does. Since all it does is let you always see anything in range, I don't see why you wouldn't have to check spotting distance.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 22:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

It would in real life if they were useing spoters but if there just shooting randomly no.

In the game No.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 22:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

You could use the same rules as something else simmilar (real nightfighting, IIRC?) Where you double the scatter distance... the entry says you have to check as though nightfighting, so you could apply all NF rules.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 22:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra-Tuisich'Novae
You could use the same rules as something else simmilar (real nightfighting, IIRC?) Where you double the scatter distance... the entry says you have to check as though nightfighting, so you could apply all NF rules.
If the template lands on them, stealth fireld woundn't do anything even in NF rules
Old 17 Jan 2006, 22:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

In the situation that prompted my question, the fire was already "indirect", so two dice were needed. If the stealth field had an effect here, it would need to be further... what, 3d6?

If you shoot at stealths in real night fight rules, your spotting distance is halved.

Quote:
If the template lands on them, stealth fireld woundn't do anything even in NF rules
Key words bolded. How can a template land on something the firer cannot see? There's a chance of course, but a smaller one than normal. There MUST be spotters, nobody is firing purely at random. You need to have some idea of where a squad is to fire at it, even indirectly.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 23:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Under the Stealth Armour rules (nearly missed the extra british u) it specifically says "as if firing at night". Under the Night Fighting rules, it says that indirect and barrage weapons can fire at units out of sight, but if the case, an extra d6 is added. so this could mean 2d6 and take the highest + another d6 for indirect barrages or ordnance from a moving vehicle. Thats how I would read the rules.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 01:20   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny boy
Under the Stealth Armour rules (nearly missed the extra british u) it specifically says "as if firing at night". Under the Night Fighting rules, it says that indirect and barrage weapons can fire at units out of sight, but if the case, an extra d6 is added. so this could mean 2d6 and take the highest + another d6 for indirect barrages or ordnance from a moving vehicle. Thats how I would read the rules.
I agree. 2d6 (pick highest), then add another d6 if it scatters, or 2d6 if it scatters and the vehicle moved. By the letter of the rules, though, a "Hit" on the scatter die will still land on target, even against a target you can not see. Bit of a pain, really. Don't take too many stealthsuits against Imperial Guard, I guess.
Closed Thread