Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Killing Necrons
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jan 2006, 01:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: Maurice Louisiana, 3 miles from civilization and straight on till morning
Send a message via Yahoo to shadowclasper
Default Killing Necrons

All right here's the deal... I'v got a Tau army with 2 maxed out fire warrior squads, a shas'o and 2 crisis suits, 2 broadsides, a devil fish and an unbuilt hammerhead and devilfish, also an unbuilt fire warrior squad with a couple models used up. I got no stealth suits at all. My friend has got a necron lord, atleast 1 destroyer and heavy destroy squads, a night bringer, a monolith, atleast one warrior squad, a few immortals, and a few scarab swarms. But he likes to play with proxy models. so of course I get to too when we do use them. Whats been bugging me is that he claims to be able to get his destroyers and heavy destroyers close enough to reak havoc before I'm able to kill them, and that his night bringer will be able to do so to... how is this possible. I'v already read the tau vs. necrons guide and found no answers to my questions besides that he must be bluffing. But he hasn't used his necrons since I got the new rules which was Dec.7 '05. and hes never done this before either, I just always shot at the wrong stuff.

Shas'O Tash'var Vral Ko'Vash'Shi: "Or'es'Shas has only met with one crippling defeat, at the hands of the metallic dead... and we shall purge them form the galaxy, not just to avenge our fallen, but to prevent them from slowing the greater good's advance ever again." Before the battle to save refugees on Medusa V from being harvested by the Shadow Lord, a necron lord and killer off over 500 fire caste on the planet Yadsmood.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 02:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: Killing Necrons

Destroyers are easy to take apart with an ion cannon, and you can also keep them at arms length by putting kroot on your flanks - kroot in cover are not really a worthy target for destroyers to shoot, and if you charge them... gg destroyers. Kroot overall are extremely good against necrons.

C'Tan are like any other monstrous creature that is tougher than it has a right to be - ignore it, move away from it, shoot other things.

The scariest possible necron army for Tau to face would consist of one or two necron lords and the rest all warriors.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 02:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

As a Tau and Necron player, there is no way he can field his stuff for the same pionts you can field yours. Your army in base configuration is about 1064 pionts while his is about 1496. Destroyersin general can move like jetbikes. Without qouting the rule he can move up to 1 1/2 ft, but not shoot. This means on a small board (4x4) he COULD wreck havoc if he assualts you with disruption claws. I doubt he would use this. The other way he could do it is with Viel of Darkness. This lets him deep strike any unit he wants. However, he cannot use veil of darkness with his nightbringer. In general he is probably bluffing. Other than wraiths, destroyers, and any other deep striking units, Necron units are slow and relatively short ranged compared to you. My suggestion to shooting is to target the destroyers with plasma/fusion equiped CS and target the Lord with your HH. Use your Broadsides as backup. DON'T shoot the Monolith unless it moves/deep strikes within 2 ft. of you. If it does, use an EMP assault with your FW instead of wasting a HH shot on it.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 13:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

He's trying to get you to focus on high point targets so you will ignore units with the Necron rule .
When playing agaist Necrons I try to focus on the mission objective first and second forcing a phase out . If he is spending alot of points in his HQ , Monolith and destroyers then he should have a small number of models ( compared to what you can have) . Try to kill off any necron unit not with in 6 inchs of another unit of the same type or the Lord so there will be no WBB rule to save them. Focused fire power can make any unit crumble.

Immortals and destroyers are your biggest problems because of their higher rate of fire and good AP your fire warriors will get no saves or only cover saves. Kill them as soon as you can . Watch out for his hth troops as the wraiths can move quickly when needed .

How does he genearlly set up his warrior and immortal squads ?
Does he keep his warrior squads close to each other? Are his Immortals out on their lonesome?

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Old 16 Jan 2006, 19:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Besides a sole Ion Cannon, what else kills Destroyers easily? My Devilfish was ravaged by them not long ago.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 19:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Plasma/Fusion weapons are good. Also a FoF works on a group of 1-3 destroyers.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 22:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I had a pretty sweet battle against Necrons in my recent tournament. His lord teleported in range of about every gun my army, and the other one got ripped to shreds (in close combat) by my Shas'O. ;D The other half of his army never got to come out of the Monolith. General Tau vs Necron advice is focus all your firepower on one squad (unless some guys aren't in range).

The Deep striking Monolith is one of the nastiest things Necrons can throw at toughness 3 Fire Warriors. Try to take it out as soon as it lands. Also try to deploy in such a way that it can't hit everyone at once. Also, when Veil of Darkness Lord land near you, annihilate his squad with everything you have (even railguns). If he gets into CC he will mince your FW and teleport to the next bunch. I lost most of my army once that way. Against your friends army, destroy everything with the Necron rule. (Destroyers, Necrons, Immortals) Once you do that, the rest of his army will just vanish.

Besides a sole Ion Cannon, what else kills Destroyers easily? My Devilfish was ravaged by them not long ago.

Stealth Suits. They do lots of damage, and can potentially draw tons of fire (if the Destroyers fail their night - fight test). It worked for me.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 16 Jan 2006, 23:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

True, very true. Stealth suits are your best bet on taking down destroyers. While chances are you will only have one turn to do it, because he can just turboboost away and you have stealth suits in the middle of nowhere. If you do take stealth suits, avoid the wraiths at all costs. Wraiths will blow through most tau units like they were nothing.

The thing to worry about with the veiling lord is if he is paired up with a large contingent of immortals. The shear amount of energy they can bring down will incapacitate almost anything. Then when after a round of firring, he'll just port away again to a new kill. Very dangerous and very effective. Try and keep your units in terrain that doesn't allow easy access to deepstriking.

Just put a wound on the nightbringer to get half of its points, then keep all vehicles and suits far away from it. Its range attack can Peirce the strangest armor and eviscerate your crisis suits. Otherwise get some snipers and put them in cover, because they will probably take some fire from destroyers on round one.

While necrons are short ranged, they make up for it with speed and resilience. While they may not seem all that fast, they can be. Teleporting can take you long distances in one turn, and still fire or move (depending on the way they are teleported). Necrons most devastating units are very fast, and tough and necrons have an abundance of T5 units. This makes most tau weapons wound on a 4+, but the necrons still have their armor save. So while killing warriors might be easier, taking out the rest of the army is going to be an uphill battle.

Tau are also at a disadvantage at the lack of weapons that prevent WBB. Unless you want to wast railgun rounds on cheap models, you have a serious problem. If there are the same amount of necron models as tau models, you are in serious trouble. So if the necron player does not take the monolith, and does not take the c'tan, that's over 500 points they have to get units that can really hurt. for 500 points a necron player can get 10 destroyers! That is absolute murder on tau, stealth suits regardless.

I would target heavy destroyers, destroyers, immortals first. The problem is that they are very hard to kill. The reason I said heavy destroyers first, is because they can kill crisis suits in one hit, that's a lot of points gone in one shot. Necrons are just very hard to defeat with tau.
"When a necron gets hit with a weapon more than double its toughness it is hit so hard that it goes into "negative damage" and does less damage than it actually would if it hit him with less force!" Quote from azimaith on Warseer, contemplating how much GW will Nerf the WBB rules.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 23:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Heavy Destroyers: When I get first turn, I always have a Broadside kill one outright. Just remember that they are just like a cross between fast Broadsides and Armageddon Sentinels but not vehicles and faster, which means they can kill Crisis Suits very easily. Kill them off!

Destroyers: I hate them. They are FAST and have WWBB. Ion Cannons work very well (2 dead per turn usually) and I guess mass Fire Warrior fire can help. Don't use Stealthsuits IMO! I tried it and the Destroyers assaulted them the next turn. Shoot them from a distance unless you are sure you can destroy them all. Death Rain suits are also very good at killing them. Once there are only a couple, bring out your Burning Eye and Fireknife suits to finish them off. IMO, these are some of the most dangerous units against Tau in the game.

Monolith: Relatively easy to kill. Just save a couple of Railguns a turn to shoot it. It will die relatively easily. If he deep-strikes it, kill it with every Railgun in your list. A unit of Broadsides will help get more Railguns in your army to kill it with.

Nightbringer: Ignore it. It is slow and you are faster than it. Just let it go out by Phase Out or once they are only left with the Nightbringer and Warriors.

Necron Lord: For us, the Resurrection Orb is not as devestating since we have only 1 S8 gun and we wouldn't waste S10 shots on warriors. If it is in a Destroyer, expect some damage and kill it off. Necron Lords in Destroyers are EXPENSIVE and will assist in getting them to phase out.

Tomb Spyders: Railgun and Missile Pod it to death. It will fall eventually.

Warriors: Against Warriors, Kroot do very well. You get tons of attacks with them, a higher initiative, and can get within charge range easily. Just watch out for any Tomb Spyders, a Nightbringer, Necron Lord, or other thing deploying near you. Besides Kroot, FoFing and Stealth Suits kill them pretty well.

Scarabs: Very annoying but not invincible. They'll deep-strike right at your frontlines and can come out of a Tomb Spyder's behind. To combat them just use Railgun submunitions, as they are vulnerable to blasts. Then mop up the 1 wound they have left with Fire Warriors.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 00:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Don't use Stealthsuits IMO! I tried it and the Destroyers assaulted them the next turn.

Well would you rather the Destroyers killing your Stealthsuits or shooting at your firewarriors? A unit of Destroyers would probably be tied up for two turns against a full unit of stealths, and they could kill a lot more stuff shooting at other troops. I guess a really smart Necron player would assualt with destroyers but I haven't seen it happen yet.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Closed Thread