Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ethereals... In suits!
Closed Thread
Old 15 Jan 2006, 00:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Ethereals... In suits!

No I don't mean tuxedos, but seriously, after we established for the hundreth time that close combat Tau is pointless why do we still have the valued Etherals outside and vulnerable with close combat weapons. Personnaly, I would love to see Etherals peeking on the top of a tank turret still inspiring the masses but without the risks. Now, for putting a Etheral in a suit you kinda don't see his face or his form but it isn't the smell that counts. So maybe smell amplifiers :. Then a gain there's the chick in that battle suit that I can never remember the name of.... Well the point is she reveals her face.

Well, I've laid my preposals before me and am prepared to either be praised or mocked. Watever your opinion I welcome it.

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 01:15   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Den Käse
Default Re: Ethereals... In suits!

I don't know about having an Aun in a suit, but some where safe would be good. Or give him some sort of ranged weapon. He does have a BS after all. But his ability to gain an extra attack to defend off assulters against a unit he's joined is quite helpful. (But with the lack of a save... blach!)
Old 15 Jan 2006, 07:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to chrissi3

sorry but ill have to mock, you do have a good point though, i too think etherals get useless,i think leave the etheral, but give tau a better hq choice.by the way any1 got background info on vespids?
Old 15 Jan 2006, 08:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to zxcvbnm1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aun_shaun
Then a gain there's the chick in that battle suit that I can never remember the name of.... Well the point is she reveals her face.
I believe you are talking about shadowsun.
correct me if Im wrong.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 10:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes! SHADOWSUN That's her name. Anyways I was not pointing out hat Ethrals were useless but a little unfluffy. As for your background on Vespids start another topic because unless you've already read the forum rules that would be considered topic deviation.

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 16:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ethereals are about as useless as guns...they only work if you know how to use them...hitting someone over the head with a gun might work...and it might cause you to shoot yourself in the process...but it's certainly not getting the best out of it. Using ethereals for close combat is like pistol-whipping someone...with your finger on the trigger and the muzzle pointed at your own nuts...

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 15 Jan 2006, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Fluffwise, I tend to think that most Ethereals come to the battlefield not expecting to fight. That is the job of the Shas, after all. For them to start piloting battlesuits or wielding Pulse weaponry would seriously intrude on the role of the Fire Caste. Ethereals are there to inspire courage in the troops, and they can do that more effectively if they are easy to see.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 19:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

In the codes it says Ethereals eschew technology. ANyways, the role of Ethereals isn't as warriors. They aren't meant to fight in close combat, it's just they don't use tech so don't use guns. The honor blade and the twin knives of Ethereals aren't really meant as weapons(fluffwise) but as status symbols.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 19:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Alpha_Omega_Tau_Sq

if you think about it it makes sense that the ethereals are not wearing any armor...

what would u think if ur CO was decked out, 2+ AS, T 6... and ur a soldier T3 4+AS
pretty discouraging like, what the point of fighting if im going to die

not imagine ur CO is not wearing anything, and hes a she , no JK u no what i mean, but then u look at him and he looks very connfident like hes neo and nothings going to hit him so he does worry about armor. that is courage and that's where u get ur inspiring presense

-out

Tau army:2250
Wins: 9 Ties: 8 Loses: 7
flawless victories: 500pts-sisters of battle

Leman Russ blows up Broadside#1 grr...
Broadside#2 blows up leman Russ Happiness!!!
Old 15 Jan 2006, 23:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I get what you are trying to say, but I dont really think you are on the right track. Ethereals on the battle field are more like field chaplains than COs, they come to the battlefield to encourage troops, not to lead them. The Ethereals domain is one of politics, not combat. Combat is left up to Shas'els and Shas'os who do in fact have very big, tough, mechanized armor.
Closed Thread