Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs marines, 2500 pts
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jan 2006, 15:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau vs marines, 2500 pts

Not going to go into details, as it was a long game. Search and secure at omega level.

Crushing victory for tau, with me holding all 3 objectives and only lose less than 700pts of stuff.

Some observations, both good and bad:

When your oppenent has 8 units in reserve, and gets nothing on turn 2 and only 3 items on turn 3, its easy to wipe out marine squads when its 2000pts vs less than 1000pts.

Marklights rock. I enjoyed marking the squads in cover and then shooting them with seeker missles and/or Helios suits. No saves at all makes a priceless look on a marine player.

Put the freaking etheral in a squad, or at least closer to one. Leaving himout in the wind in cover makes for a DS assualt squad easy meat for their plasma pistols. I only had 2 squads break, and then recover, but still it could have been much worse.

Kroot in cover are dead hard. 17 kroot in cover soaks up an incredible amount of firepower. I had 6 left by the end of the game.

Helios suits thus far are the suits to have.

Broadsides over Hammerheads. So far, broadsides havent let me down. The hammer head keeps dying every game.

Old 12 Jan 2006, 16:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Tau vs marines, 2500 pts

Yeah, I think deep striking can be risky. I hate having a reserve unit miss half the game.

I disagree on the Broadsides vs Hammerheads. Hammerheads with a decoy launcher and multitracker, moving 6+ inches a turn, are pretty tough and are fast. I find Broadsides to be better shots with the railguns, and cheaper per railgun shot. But the Hammerheads in my game fly about up front, attracting a lot of attention while my Broadsides linger behind, shooting across the board from behind cover. They work well together. Even if you lose your Hammerhead, it took a lot of shots that could have been aimed elsewhere, and generally keeps your opponents attention off the Broadsides, which are actually a greater threat.
My biggest problem with Broadsides is the lack of mobility. Especially with deep striking units, they can be threatened with assault and lose their railguns and SMS if the try to run. Broadsides are the archetypical Tau unit. Devastating firepower and crappy in assault.

I've been trying a Helios variation. I've been using a twin-linked Plasma Rifle and a Fusion Blaster, no multitracker. The Plasma Rifle is the best anti-heavy-infantry weapon I've found, and I've been trying to cut out my Broadsides, so I added the Fusion Blaster. It's been versatile, and effective, but I sorely wish for a hardwired multitracker! I've been playing against a vehicle-heavy marine army, which has made this configuration useful.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 17:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tau vs marines, 2500 pts

Quote:
I disagree on the Broadsides vs Hammerheads. Hammerheads with a decoy launcher and multitracker, moving 6+ inches a turn, are pretty tough and are fast. I find Broadsides to be better shots with the railguns, and cheaper per railgun shot. But the Hammerheads in my game fly about up front, attracting a lot of attention while my Broadsides linger behind, shooting across the board from behind cover. They work well together. Even if you lose your Hammerhead, it took a lot of shots that could have been aimed elsewhere, and generally keeps your opponents attention off the Broadsides, which are actually a greater threat.
My biggest problem with Broadsides is the lack of mobility. Especially with deep striking units, they can be threatened with assault and lose their railguns and SMS if the try to run. Broadsides are the archetypical Tau unit. Devastating firepower and crappy in assault.
Oh I dont doubt that the hammerhead is good, ist just died every game. EVERY game. Even with the toys and glancing hits. It just annoys my to no end.

Quote:
I've been trying a Helios variation. I've been using a twin-linked Plasma Rifle and a Fusion Blaster, no multitracker. The Plasma Rifle is the best anti-heavy-infantry weapon I've found, and I've been trying to cut out my Broadsides, so I added the Fusion Blaster. It's been versatile, and effective, but I sorely wish for a hardwired multitracker! I've been playing against a vehicle-heavy marine army, which has made this configuration useful.
I've marked units with the marklights, so no need for T-L the plasma. 2's to hit and 2's to wound and its all over....

My broadsides are staying for now. I think I'll add even more to the mix actually.

Closed Thread