Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

XV15s or Pathfinders?
Closed Thread
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasShi
Default XV15s or Pathfinders?

I can't decide which would be more efficient in battle, Pathfinders or Stealths.
On one hand the Pathfinders have the rifles and markerlights, able to unleash several seekers in one turn at a single tough target.
On the other, stealths have burst cannons to mow down light infantry, and if they don't move in the movement phase, the Shas'ui can use a markerlight (If equiped) and deliver a seeker before running away in the assault phase.
If it came down to a choice between these two to finish your army list, which would it be?
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Re: XV15s or Pathfinders?

It depends, a problem with pathfrinders can be having to deploy a devilfish, in small battles, i wouldnt take pathfinders, simply because they are slightly more expensive, and have the same weapon as a fire warrior (if chosen).

I'd rather take a stealth, for only 30pts, you get brst cannon, which fires worth 3 pathfinders, plus youget makerlight ability as well as increased armour and the nifty stealth rules to boot.

How much do you rely upon seeker missiles?

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've never played a game involving them lol. But I was thinking, that any enemy that is enough of a singular threat to require seeker attention will probably have 2 or more wounds, and one seeker won't take that out in one turn. So I was starting to lean towards pathfinders for their ability to call up several seekers and elimnate a threat in a single turn.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Go with the stealths! They are one of my favorite units. And pathfinders are one of my least favorite units right now, but i heard the new marker light rules are going to get better so you never know. But still I'd take the stealths any day. You get an insane amount of shots out of them and they decimate squads of light infantry. They can also annoy the crap out of SM with that many shots. Plus light armour doesn't stand a chance against them. And if you use them properly they'll never get shot at or assulted, they're just to hard to see and to fast to catch. It beats taking a fast attack choice with heavy weapons.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

well, 2 teams of 3 could cost the same as a pathfinder team, with deepstrike, the ability to call in seekers as well as being able to defend themselves nicely from being shot, while also shooting in return.

Withour requiring a devilfish, the only problem is that they take up an elite choice, and with crisis suits a very tempting morsel from that selection, you have to choose wisely.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:44   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

well, i am a gamer who cant buy much so i prefer stealth suits as they are cheap, effective and you only need buy the units rather than units and a 25euro devilfish aswell.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I can't do that I'm afraid. I have 2 Squads of 2 XV8s and 1 squad of stealths. You're only allowed 3 elite choices aren't you? I'm going to go with a unit of 5 Stealths with a team leader equiped with a markerlight and H/W target lock. I have a total of 5 seekers which I think might be a bit of overkill for only one markerlight in my entire army, but at least I won't run out and I only really took that many to use up the rest of the points. I think that'll do, thanks guys! ;D
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I've tried using stealthsuits with a markerlight... it has never really worked all that well for me. First, you have to end your previous turns' movement in the open... second, you have to take a hw target lock to not waste the burst cannons, then you have to make sure that, without moving, your opponent is within 18" so your other burst cannons won't all go to waste, and finally, that your target for the markerlight doesn't move out of LOS. In my experiences, the lone markerlight ends up wasting a good 5 burst cannons in a maxed squad, and even in a small squad end up losing their target because they would have to hold still.

2 minimized squads of 3 stealths can work.. but they take up 2 elites slots! Only in smaller games.

Both units are tactically challenging to master... stealths are always in limbo between death and blasting your opponent, and pathfinders have things like the pre-game move and a required devilfish.

Personally, I'd reccomend stealths if you have trouble with infantry, or like infantry killing power, and pathfinders if you have lots of crisis or hh's or other heavy weapons. Not only seeker missiles can be guided. The choice really depends on which you think would be more needed in your army.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes, only 3 elite choices, however....

Fire warriors can take a makerlight, at 36", this can really shock your opponent, however, you'd first have to hunt the things like long ranged tanks etc. that wouldnt need to close in on you, otherwise they'll outrange you.

Hopefully with the new codex and addition of the skyray, some nice new options will be opened up for the makerlight...

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you take the stealth, drop the markerlight/seekers and take a full 6 men squad, bonded. No upgrades as these are unnecessary and are just point sinks.